“Stay somewhere else... Better hotels all over Atlanta...”

The Georgian Terrace Hotel
Ranked #26 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
Bloomington-Normal, Illinois
“Stay somewhere else... Better hotels all over Atlanta...”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Pros: Restaurant, Bar & Lobby Design
Cons: Hotel Service/Staff Rude/Inconsistent, No Hot Water, Limited Water Pressure, Deferred Maintenance Noticable

We stayed at the Georgian Terrace for a wedding this last weekend, two nights, Friday and Saturday. I made a reservation two months in advance for a one bedroom suite via the internet. I also called to confirm my reservation a week or so in advance after viewing a vast array of reviews for the hotel. Additionally, I prepaid for my room in order to get a better rate at the time of the original reservation. My wife and I arrived with another couple who landed at the airport about the same time we did. I checked in first and was told that the hotel was oversold and there was no room for us and we must go elsewhere, but if I was willing to combine our reservation with the other couple we arrived with that they would put us in a two bedroom penthouse suite. That sounded good, almost too good to be true, so as I investigated further, they said we would have to go somewhere else for the second night because they might need that room. I explained that while the offer for the penthouse was appreciated, we would only take in if we were guaranteed for both nights because I didn't want to move in the middle of the wedding. (2 pm wedding, 4:30 reception at the Georgian Terrace) The woman at the front desk took a few minutes and said that we have the room for both nights, and thanked us for being flexible. Everything seemed great. The room had a first floor with a large living room, kitchen, and den with great city views with two bedrooms upstairs on the second floor. Everything seemed great! The next morning, while returning from breakfast we stopped at the front desk to get the wedding bags we were supposed to receive the night before. After telling the front desk our room number, a different receptionist told us that we needed to pack up and leave the room as it was reserved and had been prepaid for. I reassured him that the receptionist the night before had made sure that we had that room for both nights. This gentlemen told us that he would do everything he could do, but that the room was prepaid for and we may need to leave if he can't make other arrangements. He asked us to pack up our stuff and be ready to leave if necessary. We informed him that we were going to a wedding in an hour and hadn't gotten ready yet so we would do what we could. He asked us to check in with him before we left for the wedding... We didn't pack up as we ran out of time, we didn't check with him. He was rude, and we were trying to be easy going. In the end, our stuff was there and our key cards still worked until the next morning. We were not charge any more than we had prepaid. The other problem we had was with the bathrooms. There was no HOT water, only luke warm. The was almost no water pressure and at times the water just shut off. If you ever want to stay in a penthouse there, I would look elsewhere. The two saving graces of the hotel were the restaurant and the bar, both FANTASTIC! Great food, GREAT service, and great drinks. We had four meals there and were completely satisfied with everyone. Additionally, the architecture and design of the building was fantastic, but signs of defferred maintenance are beginning to show. If you have the chance to stay here, stay away. Go somewhere else, and save yourself the hassle.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank AJShirk
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
AJShirk,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the detail in your explanation of particularly what was unsatisfactory to you. We are glad that you enjoyed the penthouse suite and its incredible view as well as the layout of the rooms.
In the future, please know that if for any reason we other hotel is oversold, we personally walk you to your choice hotel and the room is paid for, although we never plan for this to be the case.
Of course it seems as though there was a miscommunication and it was not handled appropriately from the beginning. There is no doubt that you and your travel partners would not want to change rooms, and we should be considering that in the beginning. This has most definitely been addressed with our service and staff, and it will be handled more efficiently in the future. We truly hope that the staff handling your charge and upgrade in this way was sufficient for you. As you may know, we are currently undergoing renovation, so the maintenance you viewed will be distinguished completely.
Thank you for Livingston’s compliments, as we work hard to keep our guest’s restaurant experience top quality. If you have any further concerns or wish to contact us, we hope that you do. We would like to follow up and make sure there were no remaining issues. These follow ups help us to grow in the future. Thank you once again, for taking the time to detail your stay with us.

Brianna Salomon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
North Bergen, New Jersey
Reviewed September 16, 2011

I spent three days in this hotel on a business trip and my overall experience was not so good, the staff left a very bad impression on me.

The hotel itself is very well maintained and they have very spacious rooms, they really offer a lot for their rate.
I would of given a high rating to this hotel if not for the following bad experience I had:
1. I was put on a renovated floor and the lobby there was all covered with plastic.
2. My room was facing the back which caused a lot of noise to come in because of the main air conditioner unit outside.
3. One elevator was out of service the whole 3 days and you could of waited over 10 minutes for the elevator, luckily I was on the second floor so I used the stairs all the time and this is also the reason why I didn't change rooms.
4. The staff messed up the whole charge of the room on my credit card.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
DoronBr,

We appreciate that you took the time to review your stay with us! We absolutely need our guests help and suggestions in order for us to improve the hotel and better serve future travelers. We apologize for the impression the staff left, it will most definitely be addressed and corrected. Concerning the renovation status, we are currently keeping as many floors still available as we can, but are more than happy to move any guest that would like to change rooms as long as they are available. The renovations are occurring as quickly and as efficiently as possible, and they are here to better the hotel overall in the end. Thank you for your patience as we are improving. We hope that you’ll be back once the renovations are complete – we look forward to having you!

Broadway, Virginia
Reviewed September 15, 2011

This hotel is a gorgeous old building with some modern refinements. We (my wife and I) spent Labor Day weekend here in the smaller room. The bed is tiny, but comfortable. The room, like many of the criticisms, is quite small. However, it is an historic hotel... an old building. The air conditioning isn't terribly effecient, but it does the job.

What we really loved was the rooftop pool. Swimming at night on the roof was wonderful with the city all lit up.

The hotel is very close to mid-town atlanta's many restuarants and a walkable distance to the botanical gardens, the World of Coke, the CNN tower, and the Aquarium (which is fantastic!).

Our room was a little expensive, but still cheaper than everything around (The city was full up with a Nascar race, a football game, AND Dragon Con.).

We also had dinner at the Livingston Restaurant. It was pretty good. The Peachtree Manhattans, however, were a really nice addition to the dinner. ;)

All in all the central location, the beautiful old building, and the rooftop pool make up for the small rooms that are in need of refurbishing.

Room Tip: Higher floors provide very nice views, but the elevator can be a bit slow
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
dbaicy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We’re so glad that you recognized some of the beautiful characteristics of our hotel. We also appreciate that you understand some of our restrictions with an older building. Hotels can get pretty booked in Midtown, especially with all of the events this time of year, and we definitely try to provide the best deals possible. Livingston appreciates your business, and so do we! We look forward to having such wonderful guests stay with us again soon. Once our renovations are complete, please come back for a visit!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We booked about 10 days prior to the event (friend's wedding) and paid for a standard room. The lighting was almost non-existant in the bathroom where I attempted to put on makeup- I had to use the mirrored closet doors in the room instead. The website boasted a "Euorpean" style comforter and "PILLOW TOP" mattress. I even asked the lady that took my reservation if it would still have a pillowtop bed and she assured me it was the same as the other rooms only it was a full size mattress in lieu or a king or queen. The duvet looked nice- BUT IT SMELLED LIKE A MAN'S COLOGNE- and my husband doesn't wear cologne! So did one of the pillows. There was a note from the hotel informing guests that to save money they only changed the sheets every 3rd day- I assumed it was 3 days for the same guest not every 3 days regardless of who stayed in the room! Disgusting. The full size bed was like sleeping on a rock. I have a pillow top mattress at home and believe me room 1701 does NOT. I had to stand in the shower for 30 minutes with the water as hot as I could handle just to try to get relief from the pain in my back and shoulder from this bed after laying in it for only 45 minutes. I would have soaked in a hot bath except I was afraid to submerge myself in that tub without giving it a good scrubbing first! There was MOLD above the tub on the walls. After the shower, I laid a towel down and tried to stretch out on two chairs and an ottomon to TRY to get some sleep. I have stayed in $40 night motels that were nicer than this. I mentioned something to the front desk clerk as we were checking out and he said "That's strange, you're the only person that has ever mentioned this before". Yeah....right. I should dispute the charge for false advertising. Including parking we spent approximately $175 for that very disappointing lesson.

Room Tip: Don't believe them...check it out first!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Terri H
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Terri H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay at our property. I apologize for the disappointment in your trip, but we do appreciate that you shared your experience. We take these reviews very seriously, as they help us to improve each aspect of our rooms and amenities. This is also very crucial because we are in the midst of a rooms renovation as well as improving the marketing plan for the hotel website and other outlets. Your feedback helps us to assess the needed improvements moving forward. If you booked your room through a third party, they have a tendency to be extremely misleading, and unfortunately we cannot control their content.
As far as the sheets – they are referring only to the 3rd day of your stay; they are not suggesting that the sheets are not changed for a new guest. We have a “Green Initiative” that has been implemented, and we are trying to become a more environmentally friendly property and support our environment conscious guests, too. Several hotels do similar initiatives, and we want to encourage our guests to be conscious of the amount of water and detergent it takes to wash sheets more often that you might at home. I hope you see the positive direction we are trying to take this opportunity.
Parking in the Midtown area is expensive. This is very true in the sense that Atlanta is an up and coming city in which cost is growing like that of New York or San Francisco. In order to keep up with the market, we price our parking competitively with our surroundings. This is one area in which we would love to have the opportunity to provide a different rate, so we will keep our fingers crossed and hope for a market change so we can better provide for our guests.
We hope that you had a positive experience with our other outlets, such as Livingston Restaurant and Bar or the rooftop pool, both of which I’m sure would enlighten your encounter. We sincerely apologize that your trip was not what you expected, and we truly hope that you’ll be back to give us another chance when our renovation has concluded. Thank you again, and we hope to see you.

Philadelphia, USA
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The rooms run the spectrum of posh to a little rough around the edges. But the service is always polite and positive. The restaurant is great (though a little pricey). Everyone has always been incredibly helpful and I have stayed there at least 8 times. Great gym and roof top pool.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2011
ekmroark,

We are so glad you were back to visit! Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are so happy that you have been pleased with our service, as we work hard to uphold a high level of hospitality. Thank you again, for giving us some insight to your stay and we hope to have you back for a 9th visit!

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed September 11, 2011

In Atlanta for son's wedding - this hotel hosted the wedding party and the reception. The information about the suites on the website is impressive – but misleading. We booked a two-bedroom suite to share with my brother & spouse, thinking we would be getting a suite like the ones shown on the website – nope, not even close! The suite has a lot of room – but it was run down, with peeling paint & wallpaper, stained carpet, a broken front door, missing light bulbs, no hair dryer in one bathroom, bad towel service (only received one towel for two couples), and lack of lamps in living room area. As stated in other reviews, we had to pay $25 to have dish service brought to the room – they didn’t even get that right! Brought us mismatched dishes, silverware, and pots that looked like they came out of a garage sale; package included saucers without cups (had to call them back)! In fact, we called them back many times to get things fixed! The room next door was being renovated and the smell of paint and noise of the workers was experienced each day. The public areas were grand and the reception was very well supported & executed. But for such a grand and elegant hotel, our experience with the poor service and bad condition of the suite we received was well below our expectations. Having traveled worldwide and stayed at hundreds of hotels – this one falls in the bottom 10% and we will not return.

Room Tip: When making a reservation - insist on being placed in one of the renovated rooms; otherwise, go some...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank oldranger81
oldranger81,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us; your reviews help us improve both our service and amenities. With your input, we can improve more efficiently and effectively. We are not only in the process of room renovation, but also working toward a re-positioning within our web development and marketing areas. Thank you for bringing up this crucial point; we want to portray the most realistic view of what our guests are receiving when they stay with us. Of course all of our suites and room types are displayed on the website, but it can be easy to miss the vintage style rooms because they are often upstaged by the modern rooms.
We are anxiously awaiting the completion of the renovation, but hope that you will bear with us in the mean time, as we have to stay open for business in order to fund our updates and keep our staff employed.
We appreciate how complementary you were of our public areas and of the overall event, and we’re glad that you found them to be a good fit for the wedding. We hope that you will give us another chance when our renovations are complete. We hope to see you back again to visit. Thank you again for your review.

Birmingham
Reviewed September 2, 2011

My wife and I were over from Birmingham to take in a day in Atlanta and see the Braves play that night. Overall this was a good stay. The hotel is beautiful and is in a perfect location. I do have a few complaints though. When we pulled up and got out of our car all of the bell men just looked at us as if they were off the clock. We then gathered up our own bags tracked down a man to pay him $30.00 to park our car. We then carried our bags in to the front desk and checked in. We carried our bags up to our room with no offer from anyone to carry any of them. The room had a decent view. The view was half skyline/half housing projects. The room was nice but very small with a full size bed. It did not have a mini fridge or even an ice bucket. We wanted to have a couple of beverages why getting ready to go out so we had to drink up or the drinks would get hot. The terrace where the pool is beautiful especially at night with a good breeze. Check in/out was also simple. The bar at Livingston restaurant does not have a very good beer selection. Again overall I would stay here again but will probabley try somewhere else before I return. Oh, I forgot our key card would not work when we returned from the Braves game that night and had to go back to the front desk to get it fixed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
GTManager, Manager at The Georgian Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2011
BirminghamMatt,

We are so thrilled to hear that you and your wife loved the location and appreciated the beautiful historic aspects of the hotel. We appreciate that you took the time to share your recommendations, as we try to learn and grow with every guests’ experience!
That is quite an unusual occasion for our staff. We do apologize for any inconveniences that it may have caused you. As you may know, we are in the midst of a rooms renovation, and I think you and your wife will find more convenient amenities after we add all of the updates. We are excited to have you back again to review our improvements.
Thank you again for your review, and we can’t wait to see you very soon!