“Loved It”

Ranked #11 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Tampa, Florida
“Loved It”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2006

We stayed at the Four Seasons for one weekend night as a splurge as we were passing through town, taking advantage of the lower (but still pricey) weekend rate. The hotel is beautiful and clean, and the service is first-rate. Our room was lovely and well-appointed, although it didn't have any views to speak of, and the staff attended to our every need. If I were to quibble, I'd say that the location isn't the greatest for a vacation-goer (there's not much to walk to and the area is transitional), the bathroom fixtures are starting to show their age, and there's currently some construction mess as they expand the spa and health club. But overall we were impressed with the hotel and would stay there again.

• Liked — the service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank davidbruce

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Pennington, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2006

Too often infecting a hotel travel review may be the local experience itself. Case in point: Atlanta. It's not Ft. Worth, but not far removed. Service industry folk at the airport, at the Hertz counter, Turner Field, and especially the Atlanta Aquarium could care less about service. I consider it important, then, to emphasize the consistency and cooperation from Four Seasons staff. At the end of the day, people make the hotel. These are highly trained hospitality industry professionals, and they are habitually helpful.

That said, here's the underside:

Location. Atlanta is one of those unfortunate cities where there is no true downtown, and mass transit options consist of MARTA and little else. Apparently, the upper echelon do not ride MARTA, which is a kind of blue collar people mover. Still, there is a MARTA line running north and south with a station close to the Four Seasons, and it will take you almost directly to Turner Field. The High Art Museum complex is a short walk from FS. You could take a cab to the Aquarium, but getting one back to the hotel might be challenging. Everyone else is stuck on I-75/I-85 in the hellacious traffic, which defies Pavlovian Theory (i.e., if you beat dogs with a stick every time they get on the Interstate, you'd think they'd find another way.)

Rooms. The reviews I read were consistent and accurate. The rooms are cramped, but they have been renovated in the last couple of years. There is no view to speak of, since Atlanta is more a suburban sprawl with some tall buildings mixed in.

Spa. Currently undergoing a massive expansion (I suppose for massages, facials, and the like), the health club's lobby entrance is closed. One gains access with the help of a tour guide taking you through service corridors and several flights of stairs. The exercise room is well-equipped. The salt water pool almost blinded me (I wasn't wearing goggles), owing I suspect to the combination of salt water, chlorine and what appeared to be dirt or rust on the pool surfaces. The hot tub was out of service (and also dirty). There is a pleasant terrace adjoining the pool. The men's locker room featured both steam room and sauna, both smallish. There was no men's locker room attendant, which no doubt explained the random leavings of newspapers, paper towels, and assorted debris. I confess: men are pigs, who do not clean up after themselves.

Food. We had AMEX Platinum booking, which meant free breakfast and one free lunch. They had wonderful food, the chef personally walked around on a Sunday morning to assure quality control, and the wait staff was thoroughly attentive. My one room service meal was excellent, and my waiter could not have been more helpful.

Perhaps most importantly, concierge and front desk personnel were unflappable. We had one high profile country singer (who was very gracious from what I saw), who was able to eat in peace. We also dealt with a has-been rock star (whose roadie was flummoxed by a concierge unable to bump the aquarium's timed-ticket line for his boss--"Do you know who these tickets are for?" Answer-"Yes. But I still can't get you in for another hour."), who felt privileged to smoke his cigar as he checked out in our non-smoking lobby. (Dude, lose the cigar; it has obviously stunted your growth.) There were no tantrums and no over zealous security details. Everyone was dealt with professionally.

By contrast, the Aquarium has a grunting, churlish security force, complete with metal detectors and baggage search prior to entry. My host had her gum confiscated from her purse (she's an adult, and I suspect might have obeyed a no-gum chewing rule.) Turner Field was also something of an armed camp, as though we might charge the field during a pitching change, upset that Chipper Jones can't hit a curve ball. At the High Museum, discreet signs read simply, "Do Not Touch" next to the Renoirs and the Frank Lloyd Wrights. Go figure.

Which leads to the question of value. If you must stay in Atlanta, Four Seasons seems a safe choice, despite shortcomings, because it does adhere to the best FS protocols. But if you don't actually have to go to Atlanta....

• Liked — Service/Staff
  • Disliked — Physical plant
  • Tips/Secrets — Book meal plan specials-food is better here than at local restaurants.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
22 Thank jackfurlongesq_123
New Orleans, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2006

We stayed at the Atlanta Four Seasons for a wedding and got a great rate. The room was nice, but not huge. The bathroom did have a tub and a separate shower, which was really nice. The bathroom was extremely clean (I never use hotel bath tubs for a bath, but I did here). The service at the hotel was great. Turn down service was nice. The valet did a good job of handling all the cars there for the weekend (there were 3 different wedding groups staying at the hotel...needless to say, the valet was busy!). The concierge helped us with directions several times during the weekend. Our room had a flat screen tv, but others in our group did not have this. We were on the 18th floor and had a nice view of midtown.

The only complaints we had are minor. Our electronic room keys stopped working twice during our stay. The safe in our room wouldn't open on our last night. Both of these problems were taken care of within about 10-15 minutes of calling the front desk. I'm sure this can happen at any hotel.

Our other complaint was a little more annoying. Several groomsmen left their tuxedos with the concierge so that the bride's brother could pick them all up and return them. We left our phone number with the concierge in case anything happened. The bride's brother never showed up to get the tuxedos. We had expected the concierge to call and tell us. The tuxedo rental place called us 3 days after we left to ask about it--not the hotel! We asked the hotel why they hadn't notified us and they said they didn't have the phone number in the computer. Obviously we were not happy, especially since we gave them our phone number and saw the concierge write it down. After several phone calls the hotel's courtesy car dropped off all the tuxedos in Buckhead for $10 (I still don't know why they charged us $10 to do this?). They fixed the problem, but I think they made it more difficult than it needed to be.

The rehearsal dinner for our group was at the hotel and it was very nice. The food was great and the services was wonderful.

Overall this is a very nice hotel. We enjoyed our stay here. The staff was great and very helpful. The rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable.

Stayed August 2006
7 Thank SisiWortham
washington, dc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2006

I had an outstanding experience at the Four Seasons ATL. I stayed just one night for business travel, and wish I could've stayed longer. All staff-from the concierge, housekeeping, and fitness center- were exceptionally attentive to every need. The decor of the hotel is just gorgeous. I stayed in a standard room, which was well appointed with L'Occitane bath products. The bathroom was great and so was the bedroom. Absolutely no complaints-I'd recommend highly for business or leisure travel.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank kam1908
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2006

I was recently roadtripping with my mother and my little yorkshire terrier. I booked the Four Seasons based on two factors: the recommendations from TA and the fact that they are pet friendly. (will accomodate up to 2 small dogs.)

Mom and I were not disappointed. We asked for connecting rooms (the dog likes to visit us both, heh heh) and we were given something even better. Rooms # 1012 and #1014 actually have their own little 'corner door' that closes these rooms off to the hallway completely. It was like having our own little penthouse within the Four Seasons. Really neat! Upon reaching my room, I noticed that the FS had left a 'welcome' for my little dog that included silver food and water dishes, doggie treats, a free LARGE bottle of Evian water and a complete doggie menu that was available from room service. I am sure my dog is still disappointed that I did not order him the 90 dollar doggie beluga caviar! heh heh

Everything about this hotel is beautiful. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms are ultra-clean and beautiful and the bath products are L'Occitane! need I say more??!!

Despite being in a major metropolis, the Four Seasons Atlanta is 'country quiet.' You will never know you are in a major city as you drift off to dream land. I had the best sleep of our whole roadtrip in my comfy bed at the FS. In addition, we ordered room service which was purely divine. I had the bbq pork sandwitch with cole slaw, fries and a chocolate malt. Superb!

Yes, it's a LOT of money, but if you have it, spend it! It was worth every penny we paid!!!

• Liked — Everything was just top-notch, as you would expect from a Four Seasons
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Tips/Secrets — The concierge may direct you to piedmont park to walk your dog, but the bank grass directly across the street is closer and safer at night
  • Stayed July 2006
5 Thank roadtripper_fl
florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

I booked a room at the Four Seasons for the last night of our stay in Atlanta, as a surprise for my traveling companion. We were to have had a Premiere level room (extra space, corner location with 'outstanding' views) under the Bed and Breakfast package, booked through Orbitz. Having enjoyed four days at the historic Georgian Terrace for a fraction of the price, I expected something remarkable. After all, the Four Seasons bills itself as "Atlanta's only 5-Star, 5-Diamond hotel."

Our room wasn't ready, even though we arrived well after the published check-in time. I asked whether other accommodations might be available sooner, and was happy to accept what I thought was an upgrade to a room with a terrace. Bad move!

The terrace room wasn't ready either, and after nearly an hour's wait in the bar (compliments of the house, although we didn't know it at the time or we might have made at least that part worth our while!) we discovered that we'd agreed to the opposite of an upgrade.

The room was small and cramped. The view was unremarkable (no corner; just a single window overlooking the terrace). The terrace itself was so unappealing, we didn't use it at all. The cushions on the two patio chairs were old, faded and in need of scrubbing; there were bird droppings on the patio table and scattered across the floor, indicating that the terrace had been ignored by an otherwise formidable housekeepiing staff.

Worst of all, the room was uncomfortably warm and adjusting the thermostat didn't seem to do anything but move warm air. We should have complained, but had already unpacked by the time we realized the room wasn't getting any cooler, and we were frankly too exhausted to ask for a different room. We couldn't even leave the terrace door ajar to freshen the air, because the walls separating ours from the adjacent terraces were so low, a child could have stepped across them.

Adding insult to injury, there was an additional charge for high-speed internet access. Even mid-priced hotels have begun offering this amenity for free. It's ridiculous for a premium-priced hotel like the Four Seasons to nickle-and-dime its guests this way. Why not install coin-operated TV sets, or charge for the use of bath towels?

We looked forward to cooling down with a late-night swim, like the ones we'd enjoyed at the Georgian Terrace's rooftop pool. But by 10:30 pm, the Four Seasons' swimming pool and fitness center were locked for the night.

The staff was wonderful - the one bright spot in an otherwise unrewarding move. But frankly, they were no friendlier or more competent than the staff at the Georgian Terrace, which cost a fraction as much and delivered a superior experience in nearly every respect.

Our one-bedroom suite at the Georgian Terrace cost less than $190/night, and was really a self-contained apartment with its own kitchen and washer/dryer. The furnishings weren't as opulent as the Four Seasons, but the view was spectacular, encompassing the downtown Atlanta skyline, the Moorish dome of the Fox Theater, and the ornate rooftop terrace of the historic Ponce de Leon Apartments across the street. The rooftop pool was lovely at night. No carved marble statues like the ones at the Four Seasons - just a ceiling of stars and 360-degree skyline views.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank ianonymous
Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2006

I've stayed at Four Seasons hotels before and have always loved them. The Atlanta Four Seasons is a fine hotel, but it doesn't quite live up to the name.

The location is nice: within walking distance to beautiful Piedmont Park. The lobby is very nice. The service is fine. However, nothing really sets it apart from the Marriot next door other than a much nicer lobby, much higher prices, and slightly bigger rooms.

And why, in this day and age, should a guest be asked to spend $10/day (or was it more?) to get internet access. I've stayed at Holiday Inn Express motels which provide free (and faster) internet access, but you'll pay a bundle for it at the Four Seasons.

Food and drinks were consistently good, but I always felt like I was being gouged for whatever I was getting. I don't mind paying extra for exceptional quality or service, but I didn't find it was worth it here.

• Liked — Friendly staff and nice lobby.
  • Disliked — Not a good value.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled as a couple