“Far short of what I expect from Four Seasons”

Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta
Ranked #6 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Was visiting family and it happened to be our anniversary, so we thought a weekend at the 4 Seasons would be nice. Having spent a fair bit of time in Four Seasons overseas, was deeply disappointed in the problems we had, starting at checkin -- no one helped with bags at front door, room smelled like cigarette smoke, next room was loud because of nearby club, bad service at breakfast, etc.
That said, the pool was nice, and my wife liked the spa.
Would have been passable for a Courtyard Marriott, but not at all what I expect from this chain.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marmaduketravel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,163)

Reviewed October 12, 2009

From the moment you walk in the door of the Four Seasons in Atlanta you are treated great! Everyone welcomes you. The concierge helped us with reservations, directions, MARTA maps... whatever we needed. The rooms were spacious. We didn't get to use the spa and gym, but they looked beautiful. It was very convenient to the MARTA and the highway with a Starbucks and Einstein Bagels right next door! And don't miss the Georgia Aquarium while in Atlanta!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2009

My first stay at a 4 Seasons and it was everything I had heard it would be. Lovely!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2009

awesome stay at the hotel. staff was friendly and sweet. however, a couple days later, i checked my credit card statement and they overcharged us ~$100 for room service, valet, water, etc. that was included in the package we purchased. when we called to get it corrected, i was on hold for at least 30 min. being transferred from one person to the next until I spoke with an EXTREMELY rude accountant who acted like she was doing me a favor by correcting the charges. i offered to fax in the receipt which clearly shows the charges and the link to their own website that spells out what the package we purchased includes. will never stay here again because i dont want to deal with the wrongful charges afterwards.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lly01Atlanta
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This is a very good hotel indeed and I would highly recommend it.
I agree with some of the points made in some of the other reviews in that it is fairly traditional and not as hip as the nearby W.
Having said that, the rooms are a very good size and the beds are extremely comfortable. The maid service is excellent and they leave your room immaculate but you can still find your stuff easily enough. We had a corner room, with superb views over midtown Atlanta. We did, however, reject our first 2 rooms; the first due the smell of smoke and the second due to a squeaky bed. The hotel did not have any problem with my being a fussy customer.
The Spa is extremely nice, with a beautiful pool and very clean and well equipped locker rooms. The gym is quite small, as you often find in a city centre hotel.
The thing which made our stay memorable was the quality of the service. The staff were all absolutely superb and the hotel has an excellent, efficient and friendly concierge service. There is also a car service, which (if available) will take you anywhere in the city. The driver is very friendly but don't do what I did and forget to bring cash to tip him!!!!!
As you would expect for a Four Seasons Hotel, it is not cheap. Drinks and food are highly priced, even compared to nearby bars but the hotel has a very high class ambience.
I really enjoyed this hotel. It is very traditional but sometimes it's nice to stay somewhere a bit more traditional (although I would say it was 'elegant' rather than 'traditional') which does the simple things extremely well - and this place does.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank endofcity
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I don't know how helpful this review will be because I could find absolutely nothing wrong with our stay at the Four Seasons Atlanta. Usually, there's something wrong with most properties and although many are still worth staying in, I feel it is my tripadvisor responsibility to warn fellow vagabonds about any downside. None here.

We live in the northeast Atlanta suburbs and chose to stay downtown the night of the Paul McCartney concert at Piedmont Park. For other downtown events, we've stayed at the downtown Ritz and never had a reason to stay anywhere else. However, the Four Seasons is a short walk from Piedmont Park where the concert was held.

Normally, "value" might be a possible distraction but since apparently luxury hotels are hurting for business, our stay was only $200 plus tax ($30), parking valet ($30) and room service. The room was on the 11th floor and had a spectacular view of the night skyline of downtown Atlanta.

The hotel is very close to many of the main attractions (walking distance) in Atlanta including the High Museum right around the corner. Honestly, the area felt "safer" than the downtown location of the Ritz, so that's a consideration. It makes the Four Seasons a little further to visit the Aquarium, the Congress Center, or the Dome, but we have reconsidered our "downtown hometown" hotel after this stay. (Plus, there's a Starbucks right around the corner for coffee lovers.) Many restaurants (we ate at Shout). As I said before, as long as the rate stays competitive for future stays, this is our new downtown (Midtown, factually) hotel. (Or the Georgian Terrace - another great property.)

The staff from the front door to room service was perfect. The midnight desert of apple crumb pie, slice of cheddar, and vanilla ice cream was scrumptous. The appointments from the bedding to the bathroom were expectedly top-notch.

And, I might add, even though I've lived in Atlanta for 20 years, I had never been to Piedmont Park before. Definitely worth the stroll. We went contrary to the concert's "green" theme by driving to Atlanta instead of taking MARTA (most people I know in the Atlanta area rarely ever take MARTA). However, "green" seemed to be more hype than reality. Although a fantastic show, I've never seen so many "greenies" smoking cigarettes and throwing empty beer cans on the ground during a concert. And the prospect of waiting to board MARTA with thousands of drunk concert-goers to go home wasn't going to work. About the greenest thing about the concert was the green grass of Piedmont Park (now that the concert's over). Definitely worth seeing.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Stayed with my girlfriends for a weekend getaway and enjoyed our stay! The plan was to reconnect with old friends and help one of our girlfriends pick a site for her wedding reception.
The hotel had an impressive lobby, although very old-fashioned in colors: gold and marble...it was like 1980s or so? Staff was very friendly. The spa facilities were beautiful,the treatments amazing and although the relaxation/ waiting area was small it was still cozy and inviting. Our room was nice, clean, beds were out of this world, linen was crisp, very confortable, great toiletries. As a woman, I thought the hallway leading to our room was kind of dark.
We had breakfast through Room service and although the food quality was good, it took some time to receive our order. We had cocktails at the bar, one evening, but as it was empty, left to try other bars around the hotel, tried Tap and went to the W hotel, much more happening and fun, definitely!
Had a tour of the wedding space at the Four Seasons, and felt like the meeting rooms were old, carpets and wall paper outdated. Art work was extremely old and meaningless. We were not impressed with the space they had, especially after having seen new hotels in town, like the St. Regis or The Mansion.
I am sure it was a very pretty hotel at some point. It is a very traditional hotel, nothing wrong with it, but outdated and not impressive.
We had a great time regardless!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends