“History and more”

Atlanta Historical Homes Tour
Ranked #8 of 291 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome explorers of the world! If you're looking for history, knowledge and adventure, you've come to the right place. The Atlanta History Center is located in one of Atlanta's most vibrant communities where the stories and mysteries of our region thrive. Our 33-acre experience features award-winning exhibitions, historic houses, enchanting gardens, interactive activities and a variety of year-round adult and family programs. With ticket admission, our guests enjoy complimentary parking and all-inclusive access to Atlanta History Center destinations. The Atlanta History Museum is located at the Atlanta History Center. The Atlanta History Center also features the Swan House mansion, Smith Family Farm, the Margaret Mitchell House, the Centennial Olympic Games Museum, and five permanent exhibitions. Last historic home tours begin at 4pm
Jacksonville, Florida
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“History and more”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The museum is loaded full of civil war items. The best is the Tulley farm in the back. It is a Civil War era farm that was very interesting. We enjoyed that the most

Visited December 2013
Brandi W, Public Relations Manager at Atlanta History Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for visiting the Atlanta History Center! We are so happy you enjoyed spending time on our campus. And we love Tullie Smith Farm too! We would love to see you again soon. Thanks for the positive review.

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Lack of focus”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Pleasant place, marvellous gardens and beautiful houses at neighbourhood. A real nice trip in a not so crowded museum. The Civil War exposition should be compulsory to all american students. What a lesson. Makes everyone proud to live here and makes everyone think about the legacy involved. But, then, it has a lot of paralel expostions without any link with the main subject. The Olympics hommage to the city is nice, but I think, in a wrong place. Since you leave the Civil War exposition, you need a time of meditation and reflection about life and all this other subjects, mess it up.

Visited December 2013
Marcus - Thank you for your visit and your review. We appreciate your feedback. As we look to the future, we will take your comments into consideration. Thank you again!
Millersville, Maryland, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Something for all ages”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Had no idea what to expect, and assumed at least one of my 3 kids would complain but it was really fun. There was something for everyone, and it certainly helped that the Swan House was in Hunger Games (very exciting for our youngest). Beautiful neighborhood to drive around as well.

Visited December 2013
We are pleased to hear your family enjoyed visiting the Atlanta History Center. We take great pride in offering a quality visitor experience for all ages. Thank you for your review. May the odds be ever in your favor.
Brisbane, Australia
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Went for Swan House”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I can't really comment on the exhibitions inside the History Centre, only the inside grounds. I went for the Swan House which I LOVED but also checked out the model farm and ate lunch at the Swan Coach House. I also coincidentally arrived at exactly 11am on Veterans Day so I happened to catch their 1st annual ceremony out of the front which was pretty cool.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank vargasgirl1984
HI! Thank you for your review. We are so happy to hear you were able to visit the Atlanta History Center on such a great day. The Veterans Day ceremony was a memorable one. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. We would love to have you visit us again in the future.
Norfolk, Virginia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A taste of Atl history! The early days to civil war to growth and the Olympics!”
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

From an early age, I was always curious about Atlanta. Not sure why...it may have had something to do with the beautiful skyline and the Olympics! Or, possibly, it's the great bands from the 90's such as the black crowes or collective soul that call Atl home.

Whatever the case, it was my favorite point along the way to visit family. Recently, I was able to get better acquainted with the city.

During my stay, I wanted to learn more about the city. While browsing the internet, I discovered the history center in Buckhead. Just what I needed!!

In a city full of modern architecture and often seemingly out of touch with it's past, the center provided a great link to connect the dots and explain how Atlanta morphed into the hub that it is today.

The history center nicely sums up everything from the beginning to the civil war to the growth years. There is an exhibit on the Olympics too! The gardens and historic buildings offer a nice stroll. The entire center can be explored quickly in a reasonable time frame.

I definitely enjoyed my experience and found some answers that I had been looking for. The center is a great link to the past!

Visited November 2013
WOW! Thank you for the kind words. It pleases us to hear that our visitors are enjoying their experience on our campus. We appreciate your visit and hope to have you back again and again.