“Pricey, exhibits not working, cafe closed, ecclectic”

Atlanta History Center
Atlanta Historical Homes Tour
Ranked #9 of 293 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Welcome explorers of the world! If you're looking for history, knowledge and adventure, you've come to the right place. The Atlanta History Center is located in one of Atlanta's most vibrant communities where the stories and mysteries of our region thrive. Our 33-acre experience features award-winning exhibitions, historic houses, enchanting gardens, interactive activities and a variety of year-round adult and family programs. With ticket admission, our guests enjoy complimentary parking and all-inclusive access to Atlanta History Center destinations. The Atlanta History Museum is located at the Atlanta History Center. The Atlanta History Center also features the Swan House mansion, Smith Family Farm, the Margaret Mitchell House, the Centennial Olympic Games Museum, and five permanent exhibitions. Last historic home tours begin at 4pm
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Attended on a Sunday in July, hot, of course, paid $16 each. Almost all of the 6 minute films throughout were not working. Can you imagine the exhibit tracing Atlanta's history from rural to modern times skipped the Civil War because the film for that era didn't work? Button to show video about MLKing didn't work either. House tours were timed, but were not memorable either. Rural setting had huge Atlanta buildings as backdrop. Cafe closed because it was Chick Filet, no other place for food or drink but vending machine. Don't waste your time going to the houses if you can get on one of the inside tours of the Civil War exhibit. The tour guide Sunday was EXCELLENT. The Folk Arts exhibit was worth your time, too. Olympic exhibit was very dated.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,158)

Reviewed July 19, 2011

I've visited the Atlanta History Center with my husband, with my granddaughters (then 7 and 8) and this time alone, and each time I've come away with a new perspective of Atlanta. The permanent exhibits are good, the Tully farm and Swan house tours well worth the time, the gardens always lovely, but I also appreciate the temporary exhibits. We loved the Jim Henson exhibit when it was here, but this time I was overjoyed to discover "The Lost Gone With the Wind Manuscript" and "War in Our Backyards." I read GWTW as a girl and I teach composition, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to read Margaret Mitchell's handwritten edits in her last chapter. Her letters, also exhibited, revealed her respect for historical accuracy and her wry sense of humor. The exhibit on the Civil War battles that took place here in Atlanta was also interesting and instructional in military and local history. I'd always pictured Atlanta burning as Selznick portrayed it, but the actual historical accounts are much more interesting and accurate. Try to catch both these exhibits while they're still here!

1  Thank NoEmptyNestHere
Reviewed July 18, 2011

The history center provided us with hours of enjoyment and interesting things we never knew about. However, Atlanta itself is one of the worst cities to visit. Even during non-rush hour times the roads are jam packed and good luck finding your exit without using a gps. During rush hours, don't try to go anywhere.

1  Thank Ricky L
Reviewed June 12, 2011

We really enjoyed this museum. I had actually visited the museum in February and returned to Atlanta for our family vacation this summer so my son and husband could see it.
The civil war exhibits were very well done. We took a guided tour of the Turning Point exhibit and the guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. It is really and amazing collection and presented in an engaging fashion. We also enjoyed the history of Atlanta as well as the "War in Our Backyards" exhibit.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

My husband and I have lived in the Atlanta area for nearly 15 years and just discovered the Atlanta History Center. If you are interested in history and/or gardening this is one of the most wonderful places to visit in Atlanta.

The museum seems small at first, until you realize that the grounds encompass several buildings and several gardens to explore. All of the exhibits are maintained beautifully and are highly informative. You can spend all day here and they do have a restaurant to have lunch (we didn't eat there so I can't speak to food quality). Next time we will plan a longer visit because 3 hrs was not enough time for me to see everything.

The Smith Farm is a lot of fun but the tour is an additional cost as is the Swan House. The main exhibition hall is very well laid out and the Civl War exhibit is one of the best I've seen in the metro for pure aesthetic appeal.

Highly recommended for adults and older children. The younger kids will enjoy running around the gardens but won't have a lot to "do" like the Children's exhibits at other ATL museums.

2  Thank catwomyn5

Been to Atlanta History Center? Share your experiences!