“A moving experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Atlanta City Tour by Electric Car
Ranked #13 of 281 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Owner description: This sanctuary became a spiritual haven for civil rights activists when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. served as senior pastor in the 1960s. On the self-guided audio tour, King's inspirational sermons will take visitors back in time, while the new Horizon Sanctuary across the street is home to the present day congregation, highlighted by its traditional tabernacle choir.
Austin, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A moving experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I visited as part of my tour of the larger MLK park/site complex. On the Monday afternoon that I visited, there were very few people there, meaning I had some time to myself in the sanctuary. Sitting among the pews and listening to the sermons was very powerful. For a moment, I felt as if i was there, back in the 60's, among the congregation. I could feel the passion and the goodness of Dr. King in the room. This is an integral part of the larger park/site visit. Don't skip it!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Lori B

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Newquay, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Historic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

I'm not at all religious but when on tour from England we paid this church a visit and I have to say it was a very moving experience. I recall hearing some of Dr Martin Luther King's stirring speeches and sermons many years ago and to be able to be in the very place that they were made was quite something. The museum across the road is also a very worthwhile visit.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Alan B
Cleveland, Georgia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“EBC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Loved being able to see the church where MLK and his father preached. Beautiful interior and exterior; a place for reflection.

Visited March 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If one studies the movement of Blacks to equality, this is one of the places where it began.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

The history of the black movement to equality is Atlanta, Ga. This was the church of Dr. MLKing;s father, but it is also where I listened to MLK himself., an important point in our nation's history

Visited October 2012
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Humbling Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

A must see if you are visiting Atlanta.
Sitting in the old church listening to Dr Martin Luther Kung Jnr's sermons was so moving. The atmosphere is electric, but in a very calm peaceful way. I am so glad I can say I got to visit.

1 Thank msdelicious82