“Fun day”

Ranked #16 of 293 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Seeing the small panda bears, gorillas and lions, particularly the cubs. The cafeteria was missing a lot of selections by 3:00. Too bad.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,971)

Reviewed February 22, 2014

What a fun zoo? Our only complaint was the weather which is not the fault of the zoo! :) Very natural, many varieties of animals and great exercise. Bring your wallet and your camera. Nice, clean and fun people watching! I love seeing their reactions to the different personalities of animals. This is a must see.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

It was cold but loved this zoo. The baby pandas were a treat. So cute! The petting zoo had goats and sheep. The kids love to touch the animals.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided to take the kids on a Saturday following the recent snow/ice storm. I checked the website and it said the zoo would be open. The weather forecast for the day was 50 so we thought it'd be cool and sunny. We arrived and was told admission was discounted because SOME of the animals would not be out because it was closer to 40 degrees. They assured us that many of the animals would be out, though. We were sorely disappointed. The only large, exotic animals we saw were the elephant and the lion. There were some otters and birds out as well. I would have much rather gone to the aquarium that day and saved the zoo for a day that all of the animals were out. While I do appreciate them keeping them inside if it's chilly out, I would have preferred them to be more honest about the number of animals that were actually out. The highlight, however, was the pandas. The twin baby pandas were napping on a log and absolutely adorable. My kids also enjoyed the reptile house and the carousel. We will be back but certainly when it's warmer.

Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Where else can you go and see animals from all over the planet except the zoo. Atlanta does a nice job with natural looking habitats and is successful in having a number of new babies every year. I loved seeing the baby orangutan, silverback gorillas and twin pandas. Our grandchildren also love the train, playground and merry-go-round. The yearly family pass is a great deal too.