“Best zoo we have ever been to :)”
Review of Zoo Atlanta

Ranked #30 of 295 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a great zoo to visit for all ages. The animal displays are great, because they showcase the animals in an environment that seems real. Awesome lion exhibit. The male lion in the pack got up on the rock and roared when we were there; just like the Lion King! The pink flamingos are beautiful. There are so many snakes on display that I had to keep walking, because it was so creepy. My kids got to see one eat a mouse! We were there for well over three hours and had a great time :)

1  Thank ktg824
Write a ReviewReviews (3,010)
All reviews
in 89 reviews
in 63 reviews
in 124 reviews

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Atlanta Zoo has wonderful exhibits that get you up close to the animals. These exhibits include apes, monkeys, giraffes, zebras, rhinos, just to name a few. However, the real gem at Zoo Atlanta is the Giant Panda exhibit. The exhibit includes 3 pandas that are in glass enclosures really close to visitors. These pandas are highly visible on their tree trunks. The one panda was busy eating bamboo and walking around that he passed directly in front of me, only separated by a piece of glass. That was awesome. The pandas are most active early in the morning (when I visited) or early evening. The panda cubs will be on exhibit November or December. Zoo Atlanta also has an excellent children's area complete with a carousel and train. My family and I spent about 3.5 hours here.

2  Thank kota281
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I will start off by saying that Zoo Atlanta isn't a large zoo. However, they do have a lot of exotic and endangered animals that you will not see at your average zoo. The giant pandas from China were the highlight of our trip as a matter of fact. My friend and I both got good pictures of them in their state of the art exhibit. The zoo also has orangutans, gorillas, and Sumatran tigers on exhibit. None of these animals can be found at my local Montgomery Zoo. With that said, I would consider Zoo Atlanta to be a zoo that is really concerned about the animals on our planet and is taking big steps to keep animals from going extinct in the wild. Keep up the good work Zoo Atlanta!

1  Thank Randy_Evans
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I enjoyed my visit to Zoo Atlanta today. However, it is not as nice as San Diego or Cincinnati Zoos. It actually seemed rather small and most of the shops were closed during the week. The best exhibits are the gorillas, orangutans, and panda bears. It was just okay. I took the train to five points station and bus 32 to the zoo.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was a great adventure for my three year old grand son who never seen zoo animals except on TV or in a book. He really loved the goats and sheep in the petting zoo and as always the gorillas put on a nice show. But that where every thing ended. The staff was much like the rest of the animals... either missing in action or unenthusiastic. Parking was free but the $17 entrance fee for a 3 year old is ridiculous. I love ans support anything that helps animals. But the price for children should be much cheaper. If you are a resident you can get in for free if go to your local library and check out the DVD. Check the zoo website for more details.