“Atlanta Zoo”

Ranked #16 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Tha Atlanta Zoo was a very surprising delight. Make sure you grab a map when you enter or you will miss some of the animals. The trails snake around and what seems to be a small Zoo is really quite large. I took the city bus to the Zoo which I don't reccomend unless you have a lot of time, but it was worth the trip as far as Zoos go.

There are newer reviews for Zoo Atlanta

Reviewed October 2, 2013

My favorite exhibit was the gorillas. They have a large viewing area and you can watch the gorillas from a nice distance but it still feels up close and personal. It was a good leisurely day to walk around and look at all the animals. The park is not too large, so you can easily plan a half day outing there. The giraffes were cool too and there was one who decided he did not have to wait for the official feeding time (there is a charge for people to feed them). He was able to reach it wit his long tongue, so we had fun watching him pull the post over that had the branches secured to it.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We come here as part of the City Pass. If you do not know what the City Pass Program is please look it up. It will save you $$$ on seeing lots of attractions all at once. You have 9 days to use it, but DO NOT tear any of the tickets out yourself as there are non-redeemable. It is offered in more than just Atlanta, so check it out! You can also buy a City Pass right at the Zoo. Just purchase it as the front gate and they will show you how to use it.

Let me say, I cannot believe our city Zoo gets such a low rating on here. I looked at some of the places they are calling attractions with higher ratings and sorry but give me a break! Personally I believe our city zoo deserves to be in the top 20! We knew before coming that the Panda was blessed with having hadtwin boys. So she or the babies would not be on display which we had no problem with. Really love the Panda Cam, it’s super cute to watch them grow and develop. Needles to say we were pleasantly surprised when we found one adult on display as this is always a favorite for our friends from Holland & us as well.

For safety we always park on the back side which is the zoo’s parking lot. Not that I have ever felt unsafe here, but the panhandling can get a bit out of hand so to speak if you walk from the parking lot thru the park to get to the zoo. It was a very hot day, so the misting fans were a very much appreciated touch. We even did a ride on the train to cool off a bit which was fun for kids and adults alike. For some reason there were no pigs in the petting zoo which we really missed. Goats are fun, but we love the pigs the most. Both the Gorilla and panda exhibits are very nice here. I wish they would spruce up the elephant area as it looks very naked in comparison. We did notice they are FINALLY re-doing the reptile house! The pictures they had of what it will look like looked very nice and that was exciting to look forward to as it’s been the same as long as I can remember. Still it’s a great place to escape the GA. heat as the AC is always pumping!

For some reason every time we come here they have Dippin Dots stations, but none ever open? Even on this hot day, we did not see anywhere we could get some despite being teased by signs advertising them=boo! Other than that I have no real complaints about this place anytime we have came for a visit. The thrill of the day came inside the walk in aviary. All the birds rush from one side to the other and it’s a bit intense---in a good way! All and all a great place to bring the kids and loads of fun for adults too. Check their website for the FREE animal shows and other fun stuff they offer from time to time as they are always a great time.

1  Thank ScarlettOScara
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Visited here on Sep. 28th wife my wife and two girls. We really enjoy the Atlanta Zoo and visit around once a year. The staff is very friendly and the exhibits are great. This is just an overall great place for the family. Tons of stuff for kids to do. Petting zoo, games, rides, and of course all the animals. Highly recommend.

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Great zoo. Guy at the ticket booth was so wonderful so started off with good outlook. Good variety of species, not just typical zoo animals. Red panda was fascinating. Enjoyed watching Kelly the elephant paint and purchased the painting. Had a great time. Clean and friendly staff. Dislike snakes but you have to see the exhibit. Extremely interesting. Even had courage to touch and feel a corn snake. Unbelievable for me!!!!