“Atlanta Zoo”

Ranked #16 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I was disappointed when I went to this zoo. It's expensive and not worth the price that they charge.If we had not gotten in free,we would not have went.The best part of the zoo was the gorillas and monkeys. The zoo in Columbia SC is alot better and it does not cost as much..

There are newer reviews for Zoo Atlanta

Reviewed November 8, 2012

I enjoy visiting zoos in different cities and this zoo gets my approval. The layout was great for kids in that there was not much walking between exhibits. The kids had a blast rock climbing and riding the train. There was not a huge crowd/line to see the panda bears as previously experienced at the San Diego Zoo. We were able to walk right up to them. The food is expensive as is now typical of these places. The major disappointment for my 8 yr old was that the bounce house was not open on our visit. I thought this was extremely whack considering we visited on a Saturday. Other than that, this is worth the trip. You can also check out the Cyclorama and Grant Park before or after.

1  Thank kee146
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My wife and I went to this “Cobwebs and Cocktails” event held here, and it was really fun. I was expecting more scares on the way to the pavilion but there were none to be found. It was cold enough that the tiger wasn’t out, but the flamingoes were having a good time. At the pavilion it was a full on party, 2 staffed bars, a dj, a corn maze, 2 fortune tellers, an acrobat and a few photographers running about getting pics of all that was going on. We really wanted to come here during the day and see everything in normal mode but we ran out of time on. It will be a stop next time we’re in the area.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Second time to the zoo on Saturday - was a bit crowded because of the Halloween Boo At The Zoo but seeing all the kids dressed up was quite cute!

I finally gave in and splurged and fed a panda. Got to feed Yang Yang and it was a remarkable experience! Loved seeing all the behind the scenes and best of all, feed Yang some biscuits!! Thanks again to Amanda for being awesome as well as one of Yang Yang's keepers. It was an experience I will never forget!

2  Thank Immortalxkiss
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We did not realize they were doing Boo at the Zoo when we visited on Sunday Oct 28. The place was packed! So that is kinda a negative as it was hard to see all the animals and lots of lines. They did go to a good effort to decorate everything. Had little booths to hand out candy to the kids.

They had a bounce house, carousel and train you had to buy tickets to ride. My 5 year old twin boys enjoyed those. They were pricey though after you already pay admission to the zoo on top of it. They also charge parents to ride with your kids after they get bigger but a 5 year old is still too small to go on a long train ride alone and it is kinda silly to charge adults just to supervise their kids.

The staff were all super friendly and that was a huge plus! It was a super cold day but there were still many animals to be seen out and about and being active. Our favorites were the warthogs, otters. This zoo has the largest reptile exhibit I have ever seen. It is a huge indoor area and has so many snakes and lizards, etc. They also have two playgrounds for kids to play on.

The food is lacking. Not many places to choose from and they were very crowded. We ate at Nathan's Hot Dogs and the food was good. They do have a very cute picnic area in the kids zoo and they allow you to bring your own food. I do recommend this zoo and think you will enjoy it. Just be prepared to bring you own food is my recommendation as well as pay a lot extra so your kids can do all the add ons. I also suggest you try to visit at a non busy time because it can inhibit your enjoyment of the zoo when there are a ton of people there.

1  Thank aprilsumner