“Expected More”

Ranked #16 of 292 things to do in Atlanta
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This extraordinary zoo, one of the oldest in the U.S., underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in the 1980s and is still expanding. Its landscaping replicates the natural habitats of the numerous animals, some of which are endangered species. Four panda bears from China delight the crowds, and groups of gorillas separated by moats do their own share of entertaining.
Reviewed June 21, 2012

This was my first time visiting the zoo and before I went I read many of the reviews on this site. I was expecting so much and was really disappointed. Many of the animals could not even be seen. There were several places where the animals were supposed to be on display and they were not. I just missed a bird talk which was at 11 and the next one was not until 3. I went early on a Saturday and did not want to stay that late since I had a very young child. My grandson is only 18 months and there was not much for smaller kids to do. When you are that small it is really hard to see many of the animals. The parking for the zoo is just horrible and the signs to more parking were not really good. Even the sign to tell you the parking lot was full was only on one side of a sign they put out. They even had a guard who just stood there watching everyone enter the small parking lot and drive around. It will be a really long time before I go back.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,946)

Reviewed June 20, 2012

This zoo is a great place to go for an outing on a weekend. We came up from Orlando to go to the aquarium and the zoo. The zoo by far outweighs the aquarium. Not as big as the National Zoo in D.C but, they have quite a variety animals and you are pretty close to the exhibits to really enjoy viewing them. The prices are reasonable and the food/gift shop prices are cheaper than the Georgia Aquarium. We like getting away from Orlando and the touristy-highly overpriced attractions close to us.Disney and Universal will soon be $100 per person!!!

Reviewed June 20, 2012

The Atlanta Zoo is so much fun! I've been before when the animals didn't feel like being put in the spot light and even if you don't get to see the lions or tigers or elephants, there is always an exhibit with some action! Great activity for kids and adults!

Reviewed June 19, 2012 via mobile

I was a little shocked by prices even after my student rate & child rate for my son. After leaving I felt it was worth it. Plenty to see and they have a reptile house or rooms situated up high so you are still inside (break from the heat). The food (like every other huge attraction) is overpriced and they have a kids carousel & train which my son did not want to get off of!! Those were great. It's set up like a circle so the kids part was at the end, he got upset that he couldn't keep riding it, so we left. I got there early, when I wa leaving I noticed a "parking lot is full sign"

Reviewed June 18, 2012

Second time in a few years, just as good if not better this time. Gorgeous zoo and surroundings. Go to your local library and rent the video and get 4 fee zoo tickets just for watching video.

1  Thank JetSettersCandT