“Almost perfect”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #2 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Nice rooms, strange layout but this may be because they are condo units too, at least our suite.
Homey feel, staff always greets you by first name and is VERY attentive. Hotel seems a bit quiet for my taste but I guess a lot of people prefer that; I prefer a vibrant restaurant and bar/lobby scene. But my biggest pet peeve was the room service. It was very plain, well executed but extremely limited. The preperation was good, but I felt this was probably a waste of a talented kitchen staff! Tea service was lackluster, something really strange for a Mandarin Oriental, that kinda sums up my in room dining impression.
Als had a nice crib and baby toiletries for us which was nice.

Room Tip: Watch extras like internet and parking, like an extra 40-50 a day! Also my suite (700sf) felt crampe...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MiamiMon
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

I have read your review and appreciate your comments and suggestions. Our goal is to ensure that ever guest has a perfect stay and we never cease working to ensure that experience for each guest. Please return again so that we can have another opportunity to make your stay as perfect as possible. Again, thank you for your comments.

Sincerely, Robert Lowe, General Manager

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I enjoyed a lovely lunch at the Mandarin Oriental on a beautiful Saturday. The meal and atmosphere were comfortable. The only slip (if you want to call it that) was that they did not have a bartender on duty during lunch. The waiter had to improvise. He did an admirable job. Now, onto the spa. I booked two massages (me and my daughter). I have been pleased with other Mandarin Oriental properties in the past and was thrilled to find this one carried ESPA products which are some of my favorites. The facility was lovely and had all the amenities, but the service was terrible. The SPA was busy (which was good for them, but bad for us). There were hardly any little snacks to enjoy before and after the massage, no tea in the relaxation room and NO WATER GLASSES! And, I had to ask THREE times. I heard the spa staff laughing and frolicking behind the "Staff Only" door. Obviously ignorant to the needs of the customers beyond the door. The massages were subpar. We both had Aroma Stone. They were at best...chaotic. So, quite simply said, I have had better. I will continue my quest to find a quality spa in Atlanta.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

I sincerely apologize to you and your daughter for the unsatisfactory experience you had in our spa and can assure you without hesitation that this isolated incident is definitely not the norm. We consistently receive very complimentary reviews on our spa and please be assured that we are not ignoring your comments. We very much hope that you will give the spa one more chance and again, I apologize.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mandarin Atlanta this past Saturday night. I had mentioned in the reservation that this was a "staycation" and that we had planned to be in New York City for a romantic (kid free) weekend, but the blizzard caused our flights to be cancelled. I had asked for a high floor room (which we received), but we were completely blown away upon entering the room. There was a note from the manager extending his regret that we were unable to go to NYC and a gift bag containing a copy of the "Sex and the City" movie (for at least a look at the Big Apple) and a peach scented candle (in keeping with an Atlanta theme). They had even set up a DVD player for us. We had a great visit to the Mandarin. The grounds and the building were gorgeous and the staff could not have been more pleasant. The only negative, and this is very minor, is that exterior windows in our room desperately need cleaning. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scott S

Knowing first hand how truly disappointing it can be to have your flight cancelled, I am delighted to learn that we were able to make up for it and that you and your wife had such a great time on your visit. Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor travellers.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed recently here for a company sponsored event. This hotel lives up to or exceeds what I have come to expect from Mandarin Oriental in almost every way. Incredibly helpful staff, delicious food etc. The only issue (and a big enough one for me to reconsider staying here again) is the $15 minimum valet parking fee.

• Stayed: January 2013
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your review of our hotel. As there is no space on our property for self-parking, we are compelled to charge a rate for hotel guests' valet parking. Our competitors also charge for parking and we make certain that our rates are in line with what they are charging. I hope you will continue to return as we do appreciate your business and enjoy having you. Again, thank you for your review.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had stayed at this property in the past as the Mansion on Peachtree. Under Mandarin Oriental, it has become even better. The staff, rooms and service are all outstanding. The only negative was the restaurant/ bar. The space is very small. The food is quite good, and breakfast service was excellent. Our experience at lunch left us disappointed, with poor service, and very slow service considering there were only two tables.
Otherwise, I would highly recommend this hotel, and it is my "go to" hotel in Atlanta.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pekoe08

I read your review and apologize for the issue you had in the restaurant. We are looking into it to ensure that it does not happen again and appreciate knowing about it from you. Thank you for continuing to be a loyal guest and we look forward very much to your return.

Robert Lowe, General Managaer

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

The Mandarin Atlanta is a great, modern but yet cozy hotel with an intimate feel in Buckhead. Our room was wonderful with large windows and high ceilings. The location is within walking distance to Lennox and Phipps malls along with numerous restaurants and bars. We had a drink at Del Friscos which actually shares a courtyard with the hotel. The check in was easy/quick and welcoming. I would give the hotel a perfect rating only because I prefer to save those for resorts or truly one of a kind- but it is definitely a beautiful well run hotel that I would stay in again for sure.

• Stayed: January 2013

It was a pleasure having you with us and we are looking forward to continuing to welcome you back in the future. Thank you so much for your review.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I splurged for my Fiance and I and was NOT disappointed from check in to room service to cleanliness and location.

We had a mini suite of some sort with an awesome balcony and the views were awesome of the Atlanta skyline - there is a stunning restaurant right across from the hotel and is

Room Tip: Spend the money it is well worth it :)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for sharing your review of Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta with TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back again.