“First class” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Smyrna, GA
“First class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Mandarin Atlanta this past Saturday night. I had mentioned in the reservation that this was a "staycation" and that we had planned to be in New York City for a romantic (kid free) weekend, but the blizzard caused our flights to be cancelled. I had asked for a high floor room (which we received), but we were completely blown away upon entering the room. There was a note from the manager extending his regret that we were unable to go to NYC and a gift bag containing a copy of the "Sex and the City" movie (for at least a look at the Big Apple) and a peach scented candle (in keeping with an Atlanta theme). They had even set up a DVD player for us. We had a great visit to the Mandarin. The grounds and the building were gorgeous and the staff could not have been more pleasant. The only negative, and this is very minor, is that exterior windows in our room desperately need cleaning. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scott S
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Knowing first hand how truly disappointing it can be to have your flight cancelled, I am delighted to learn that we were able to make up for it and that you and your wife had such a great time on your visit. Thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor travellers.

Robert Lowe, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed recently here for a company sponsored event. This hotel lives up to or exceeds what I have come to expect from Mandarin Oriental in almost every way. Incredibly helpful staff, delicious food etc. The only issue (and a big enough one for me to reconsider staying here again) is the $15 minimum valet parking fee.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. As there is no space on our property for self-parking, we are compelled to charge a rate for hotel guests' valet parking. Our competitors also charge for parking and we make certain that our rates are in line with what they are charging. I hope you will continue to return as we do appreciate your business and enjoy having you. Again, thank you for your review.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had stayed at this property in the past as the Mansion on Peachtree. Under Mandarin Oriental, it has become even better. The staff, rooms and service are all outstanding. The only negative was the restaurant/ bar. The space is very small. The food is quite good, and breakfast service was excellent. Our experience at lunch left us disappointed, with poor service, and very slow service considering there were only two tables.
Otherwise, I would highly recommend this hotel, and it is my "go to" hotel in Atlanta.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pekoe08
I read your review and apologize for the issue you had in the restaurant. We are looking into it to ensure that it does not happen again and appreciate knowing about it from you. Thank you for continuing to be a loyal guest and we look forward very much to your return.

Robert Lowe, General Managaer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

The Mandarin Atlanta is a great, modern but yet cozy hotel with an intimate feel in Buckhead. Our room was wonderful with large windows and high ceilings. The location is within walking distance to Lennox and Phipps malls along with numerous restaurants and bars. We had a drink at Del Friscos which actually shares a courtyard with the hotel. The check in was easy/quick and welcoming. I would give the hotel a perfect rating only because I prefer to save those for resorts or truly one of a kind- but it is definitely a beautiful well run hotel that I would stay in again for sure.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
It was a pleasure having you with us and we are looking forward to continuing to welcome you back in the future. Thank you so much for your review.

Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I splurged for my Fiance and I and was NOT disappointed from check in to room service to cleanliness and location.

We had a mini suite of some sort with an awesome balcony and the views were awesome of the Atlanta skyline - there is a stunning restaurant right across from the hotel and is

Room Tip: Spend the money it is well worth it :)
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for sharing your review of Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta with TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for a zero-effort weekend getaway and early birthday celebration for him. We received a warm welcome from the hotel staff. When we were shown to our room, I noticed a very obvious tear and some stains on the duvet cover, so I asked the gentleman (Cortez was wonderful) helping us with our luggage to facilitate getting it replaced. After he left, we noticed that the lightswitch cover for the front lights was on the floor, so we left it out for the staff to see when they came to replace the duvet. We went to lunch in the hotel's cafe; we had to wait a while before anyone greeted us, but once we were seated the service and food were very good. We went back to our room to see that the duvet had not been changed yet and discovered we had only been given one pair of slippers, so I called the front desk to report. They said they would send someone right up. We waited a little while; maintenance staff came to fix the lightswitch cover but no one from housekeeping came and my husband said he wanted to rest. So I put the privacy light on and went downstairs to tell the front desk not to disturb him. I went and enjoyed some time in the jacuzzi spa and pool and showered in the women's locker room...this was a very nice amenity, although it would be nice to have the option for a co-ed jacuzzi. I went back to the room and found out that housekeeping had called while my husband was napping. We went downstairs to find out our options for dinner. We really didn't want to drive anywhere because traffic was crazy as the playoff game for the Super Bowl was being held in Atlanta the next day. The concierge was not very knowledgeable about restaurants in Buckhead. She was more familiar with places in MidTown and kept suggesting that we go there although it would mean us having to drive versus take the hotel's car. I told her that we would be dressed casually, and we decided on a place. When we got back to the room, there were 3 people from housekeeping inspecting our bed; they had been told that there was a rip in the bed but couldn't find it. I conveyed again that the tear was on the duvet, and they replaced it. We went back downstairs to go to dinner, and when we told the bellhop where we were going, he was kind of mortified. It seems we had a misunderstanding with the concierge about what we meant by casual. The hotel driver was also hesitant to take us where the concierge had suggested, and he made some suggestions, specifically stressing one place that was out of the hotel car's distance limit...he could take us there but would probably not be able to pick us up. We decided to just go to a place nearby where we could get quick service but was nothing special....which was a a big disappointment to me. When we got back to the hotel, our room had been serviced with a lovely turndown service plus a bottle of wine and truffles for my husband's birthday. That was a really nice touch. We spent a restful night...thank goodness! The next day, the coffee we had ordered for room service came....with only one cup and saucer. Then, the toilet clogged and the bathtub wouldn't drain, so we had to call maintenance again. It got to the point where I had to think the problems were kind of comical; the other option was to get really angry and ruin our whole stay. For our troubles, we were given complimentary breakfast in the hotel's cafe and our morning coffee was taken care of. Despite all of our problems, I have to say that the hotel staff was lovely. They responded quickly (the duvet being the exception) to our calls, and we were treated very nicely throughout our stay. I just wish we didn't have to call on the staff for so many things. The hotel itself is very nice. My husband and I will be planning another trip to Atlanta in a few weeks, but I think we're going to head to MidTown instead of Buckhead. I think our experience at the Mandarin Oriental was probably not how stays there usually go, but I'd rather not risk a repeat. PS>If this is read by hotel staff, please tell Cortez how sorry we are that the Patriots lost their playoff game.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank LMWands
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I have read your review and as you might guess, I am disappointed to learn about your experience with us. I would very much like to discuss it further with you. If this is acceptable, please contact me at the hotel, 404-995-7500. We very much want you to return to experience the true Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta hotel that we are so proud of.

Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I took my wife to the Mandarin Oriental to celebrate her birthday. The hotel knew the occasion and went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. From the moment we arrived to the moment we departed, we were treated like royalty. No other hotel has the fabulous level of service as a Mandarin. They know what you want before you do. The staff and management made my wife feel so very special. Thank you Robert, Roberto, Florien, Dalton, Arianna, Gretchen, and all the rest that are too many to mention. We had a great room, extremely fine dining, a magnificent spa and terrific entertainment in the Taipan Lounge. At our birthday feast in The Cafe my wife mentioned that as she was in Atlanta she was in the mood for peaches. None were on the menu. The Chef heard and whipped up a peach cobbler for her. She was thrilled. When in Atlanta we will never even think about staying anywhere else. How can you improve upon perfection?

Room Tip: Get a Mandarin Suite if you can.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SBF2
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about you and your wife's wonderful birthday experience with us. Thank you for identifying the colleagues who were especially helpful as they always appreciate the accolades. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon and a belated Happy Birthday from me to your wife.

Regards,