“Great addition to the MO Family - you have a fan”

Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta
Ranked #1 of 171 Hotels in Atlanta
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sydney, Australia
“Great addition to the MO Family - you have a fan”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

After a disappointing stay at the MO Washington I was a bit nervous about staying at another MO USA property. I love the MO's in Asia and Europe and are generally my pick if they are an option in the city I am heading to.

Well, there was no reason to worry as the MO Atlanta is a fantastic addition to the MO stable. I was warmly welcomed each step of the way (driver at the airport, doorman, reception). I booked a Mandarin King Room and was not disappointed. It is of large size and with lovely modern fittings (see photos). The bathroom is also large and one of the biggest showers I have seen. I did have a noise problem with my first room (there was a party in full swing downstairs and the music could be heard clearly and I was on level 6) but a quick trip to reception solved it with a move to another room. No questions asked, they completely understood - fantastic.

I had breakfast on both days in the one and only restaurant and it was pretty good. I strongly recommend the Eggs Benedict on Crab Cakes - yummo! Service was discreet and warm.

I also had dinner in the same restaurant (the hotel really needs more than one option) and it was good from a service perspective but the ambience is lacking due to the proximity of the bar. I know it is usual to have a TV in a bar in the USA but I really do not need to be able to see or hear it when I am dining. Further the noise from the patrons (and staff) at the bar enjoying the football verged on unbearable. They really need to close the bar off a little more to make dining a quieter experience - or perhaps it is just me.

Overall this was a wonderful stay and if heading back to Atlanta I would choose here and urge you do the same.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank wockinwod
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I totally enjoyed reading your review and comments regarding the restaurant. As we only arrived in Atlanta at this hotel as of May, we are still in the process of making wonderful changes and additions that reflect the Mandarin service and culture. Please be assured that you will be pleased as this process moves to completion in the near future. Again, thank you for your wonderful review. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Sincerely, Robert Lowe, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I have yet to stay in a Mandarin that doesn't knock my socks off! I was in Atlanta in May and stayed at St. Regis, which was nice but lacking in service. That rarely happens at St Regis. But Mandarin has gone above and beyond and the hotel is completely booked but you wouldn't know it. Everything is running seamlessly....

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Particulardvswank
We genuinely appreciate your compliments of our hotel. It is extremely exciting for us to be a part of Atlanta and look forward to welcoming you back often. Thank you for your review!

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I have only been in this hotel 30 minutes, and it's clear this is a 5 star hotel. The service & attention to detail is unbelievable. The place is just spectacular. The rooms are so comfortable with huge bathrooms and walk in showers. Nicest hotel I've stayed possibly of all time. Just world class.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank localyokel1976
Can't help but say thank you for your "world class" review of our hotel! Sharing it with TripAdvisor makes it even more special. Again, thank you and we look forward to your return.

Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I recently stayed at the Mandarin Orinetal, Atlanta for a business event. From the moment I got there, I was treated very well. I was greeted at the desk with a scented cool towel (it was a hot day in ATL when I checked in) and my luggage was stored as I came in the morning of the meeting and too early for check in. The conference room and breakfast, breaks, lunch were fantastic. The room was georgeous and very comfortable (I had a nice view of Lenox as well). I ate in the restaurant for lunch the day we were leaving, and the food and service were amazing. There was a hiccup in a couple of lunch orders for a couple of people with our group, and dessert was presented in order to "make up" for this small error. It was fantastic and I would go back for pleasure at another time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Really great feedback from you, a valued business traveller. Realizing how important service and efficiency is to business travellers on the run, we strive to ensure that we deliver. I'm delighted to know that we met your needs and expectations in that regard and we look forward to welcoming you back soon and often.

Santa Clara, California
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at The Mansion on PeachTree (Rosewood Hotels) to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. It was special day for us and staying at the Mansion made it memorable. The Romance package included everything - Rose petals on the bed, champagne, desserts, breakfast and parking. Excellent room, service and staff.

Room Tip: Stayed on the 10th floor and had great views of the neighborhood. Good view of the setting sun at th...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank localtripname
I am delighted to hear about your 25th anniversary experience at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta and that you had such a great experience. Hopefully you will return for your 26th and many times in between! Thank you. Robert Lowe, General Manager
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here on business while I was recovering from being ill. I had read the reviews and was really excited as they were spectacular which was what I needed given how I was feeling! There are definitely positives. It is a beautiful property in a good Buckhead location. The door/valet staff is top-notch. The English Garden in the rear of the hotel is really well done and the staff is very proud of it - which is cute. The negatives, however, were pretty bad and seem to stem from a general sense of disorganization. Upon checking in I realized I needed change for valet/bell staff. I went to the front desk only to be told by two people working there that they were too new to have money drawers and I would have to wait for the third to finish with her customer. The customer must have had some sort of issue because 5 minutes went by, then another 5, then another and another. It was kind of silly as this woman and I were the only customers around and there were 3 desk staff available yet only one in the position to help us both. I didn't need a loan - just a ten and two fives. After what seemed like a ridiculously long time, Yassar, a bellman, quietly came up beside me, took the 20 out of my hand and disappeared behind a door. He emerged a few moments later with the change I needed. If this had been the end of the problems I wouldn't have even mentioned it in this review. We were escorted to our room which was on a very high floor but right away I didn't like. It was large, spartan, and an awkward shape. Those things I can handle but what I couldn't handle was the fact that the tv wasn't visible from the bed. The bed faced a window and the tv was waaaay off to the right and could only really be watched from the chairs. Given my state I had planned on spending some extra time in bed and wanted the option to watch tv. We called and asked if we could have a room with tv visible from the bed. They seemed uncertain and when we pressed they said they would have to downgrade us to get it done. We said no problem - downgrade us - just bring us the key. They advised they were on the way and we sat down to wait. 35 minutes later they still hadn't arrived. My husband called and they were surprised that no one had come yet and advised they would be right up. We waited and waited. My husband left for a meeting so I waited ....and waited. Over an hour later I finally called and guess what - they were surprised again! We are all cranky when we are ill but being led on and left to wait this long for a downgrade was annoying. A nice man arrived within 15 mins of the 2nd call to take me and our bags to the new room. Despite the "downgrade" I loved the new room, the location of the television, and the spacious and well-appointed bathroom. We had dinner downstairs at the bar that evening. The food was nice and so was the service but there was constant chatter at the bar between the bartender and servers about who so-and-so had taken care of and "did you remember those women outside, etc" throughout. These gentlemen were lovely but were not operating with any kind of system and seemed as if this was their first night on the job. Not a reason not to go back, I was just expecting something different from this establishment. We took a walk to the pool which is far away from everything and requires a separate elevator ride. It is an indoor pool and I brought a swimsuit but decided against going when I discovered how inconvenient the location was. The rest of our stay was pleasant and uneventful but I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed and will probably try the St. Regis next time. Perhaps they are just kinks in the fabric due to the recent conversion to Mandarin Oriental but these people need to get their act together so that they can be the cohesive-appearing staff that is needed to operate an establishment such as this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Robert L, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
After reading your review, you might imagine how disappointed I am to learn about the issues you experienced on your recent visit with us. They certainly are not reflective of the Mandarin Oriental level of service for which we are known and I assure you that this was a highly exceptional situation. You are correct that we have some new employees but that is no excuse and we are addressing the service issues as a valuable learning process.

I hope you will allow us another opportunity to show you the true Mandarin Oriental experience as we want to make up for your previous experiences.

Robert Lowe, General Manager
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife kidnaps me every year for my birthday (Iceland, Northern Italy, Nova Scotia...Atlanta). She booked a beautiful suite with two balconies at the Mandarin Oriental in Atlanta. When we checked in, she was handed only a key, not the usual packet of AMEX Centurion (black card) benefits we'd be receiving. The room was nice, but didn't have the view she was promised. The special deliveries she had ordered to be in the room upon our arrival were not there. She was very disappointed and had a difficult time getting everything straightened out. However, the staff worked hard to make things right. They moved us to a new suite with a great view and flooded us with amenities every day of our stay. We learned that this property was only converted to a Mandarin Oriental about 2 months ago and that many of the employees were new. It had previously been The Mansion on Peachtree, a Rosewood property. The concierge, Janice, who had only been at the hotel a week, was very helpful in planning our activities for the 5 days we were in Atlanta. All of the staff were friendly, attentive and called us by name. The Spa was beautiful. The restaurants were good, though the pastries were not up to par. I typically prefer the Peninsula, Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental and Fairmont in that order if I am staying in a hotel. If I'm staying in a more intimate place, I always look for a Relais & Chateuax property. I think that once the new staff have spent some time together, this property will come up to Mandarin Oriental standards.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor with a balcony (or two) room for the best views of Buckhead and Atlanta.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Atlanta and I want to apologize that your visit got off on a shakey start. I was delighted to know that we were able to work out the issues and that you ended up having a great time. Please return again soon and again, thank you.

Robert Lowe, General Manager