“Chin Pau Chicken Rules!”
Review of Fortune Cookie

Fortune Cookie
Ranked #19 of 92 Dessert in Atlanta
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This was our second taste of The Fortune Cooke for “takeout.” Didn’t review it initially because we didn’t dine-in. But we enjoyed the first visit’s food so much, we ordered again this evening. While we haven’t dined in yet…the vibe while waiting for the order is the folks who run this traditional Chinese-American restaurant are old pros and dedicated to co consistent flavors. Very friendly and fast takeout service. The Sesame Cold Noodle is a must order. Reminded me of some I have enjoyed in New York City. Did not like the internet recommended “Twice Cooked Pork” on first visit takeout. Weird pork flavor. However, Tso’s Chicken and Kung Pau Chicken are very good. And let me tell you the Chin-Pe Chicken rules! Sliced chicken meat lightly fried and tossed in a nice brown orange sauce. We think the next trip we will dine-in. But for fast takeout in the Lavisa-Briarcliff area, The Fortune Cookie is a winner.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Lo, have I been searching for Chinese food in Atlanta beyond the serviceable crap that gets slopped out at the casual city joint. Upon reviews, we stopped in here for lunch.

Here we ordered:

1. Gen. Tso's Chicken- lunch
2. Beef lo mein - lunch
3. Kung Pao Chicken - lunch
4. Twice Cooked Pork - dinner portion as wasn't on lunch menu

Here is the skinny: Gen. Tso's was delicious. Some of the best I've had in Atlanta. Beef lo mein - also some of the best I've had in Atlanta. They get that charred/grilled effect on the noodles that I crave so much but rarely do Chinese restaurants here in the ATL ever do. Kung Pao chicken - the star of the group. Insanely delicious. Garden mushrooms are one of my 2 least favorite foods in the world (i.e. they're one of 2 food items I don't particularly like to eat) and this dish is oddly full of them (weird for KPC). I was a little dismayed at first. But then I tried a bite of my friend's and was blown away. I could have licked his entire plate clean. Wow. Crab Rangoons: also some of the best in the ATL. Delicious white onions abounded and cheese was plentiful and creamy.

The one failure of the lunch was the twice cooked pork. Easily one of the worst I've ever tried. Thankfully, not my dish for lunch! It was sad looking, with just cabbage in a blackish oil with a smattering of blackened carrots spinning about. It looked dreadful. Then I tasted it: not dreadful, but not good either. It was our fault though. We ordered it off the dinner menu and I bet the lunch chefs are only trained to cook the lunch items. We should have stuck with the lunch menu.

Now, keep in mind this is Americanized Chinese. All dishes had a tad more sugar in them than most Chinese places around. But, the flavors were all very spot on, and sometimes I really like Americanized Chinese, so bravo.

The staff was very friendly, too. The hostess seemed pleased to welcome us and she was very very friendly too.

Atmosphere was standard strip mall chinese, with the booths and the free standing tables with padded chairs. Flat glass waterfall, free standing in corner.

I'd definitely recommend it. But thsi place doesn't need my recommendation. It was quite packed this Friday for lunch.

Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Fortune Cookie is a pleasant enough restaurant in a shopping center at the busy intersection of Briarcliff Road and N. Druid Hills Road. The room was attractive, service was pleasant and the value was good. The food was Just OK. We had a "Dinner for One," with egg drop soup, moo goo gai pan and sweet and sour pork. We also had scallops with pea pods. The amount of food was more than ample and we took home the surplus for next day's lunch.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have been going to THE FORTUNE COOKIE for many years now. now I must say I go for lunch a lot more than dinner , but the food and service is great ! The shrimp in lobster sauce , the general tsu's chicken , the shrimp toast , pork with hot garlic sauce, and the crispy duck are just some of my favorites !f you are in the area of I 85 and North Druid Hills this is a great stop, either for a quick lunch or date nite you can't go wrong at THE FORTUNE COOKIE !

Reviewed January 30, 2013

This is one of my favorite places to eat Chinese. I have been eating at this restuarant for the past 15 years. The food is always very tasty and cooked exactly to order. They will create specials for you if what you desire is not on the menu. The egg drop soup is out of this world. I really enjoy their cashew chicken and fried rice.

The service is always very good and prices are very reasonable.