“Riders of the lost trail is absolutely fantastic!!”

Riders of the Lost Trail - Guided Off Road Motorcycle Trail Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Riders of the Lost Trail, offers guided off road motorcycle / motorbike trail tour and enduro holidays in this beautiful part of Andalucia, Southern Spain. All you need is a full motorcycle licence, and you can enjoy the amazing scenery of this inland part of Spain aboard our KTM trail / enduro motorbikes. We generally travel between 95 - 120 Kms per day, on many of the 1000's of tracks and trails that criss-cross the countryside. Our tours include, all the riding gear and safety equipment, 3rd party bike insurance, lunch, bike rental, and the guide. We have teamed up with the El Gecko hotel, for all our accommodation needs. Tours can be from 1 day to 10 days.
Cork, Ireland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Riders of the lost trail is absolutely fantastic!!”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Staying on the coast I was looking for a bit of excitement, I ride off road at home in Ireland and had looked up Phil online and quite honestly I am delighted to have found them, the bikes are spot on and perfectly suited to the terrain (however challenging you like it) well maintained and very fresh. The gear is top notch and very clean so you don't have to be bothered bringing your own. Everything is spot on with the bike and the gear,, this just leave me to talk about the trails, tracks and terrain which is absolutely made for dirt bikes. There are endless miles of track set against a Back drop of the most amazing scenery I have ever seen.
I was meant to just do 1 day but had to go back for a second day. I can't wait to go back and bring some friends. I rarely leave feedback on trip advisor but I honestly think if you are either an avid enduro/mx rider or a road biker looking to try your hand off road then you simply can't find a better outfit than this and there is defo no better way to get around to this beautiful part of the world. Thanks Phil!!!!

Visited April 2012

• Finnish first
Gaithersburg, Maryland
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Ladies Come On!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

After much arguing, campaigning, and culling, my husband and I had finally "finalized" our Andalucia itinerary, which included a road trip from Seville to Granada, with a stay in Ronda. We'd already sadly concluded that renting bikes and riding the twisty roads from Malaga into the mountains just wasn't going to happen. It was written in ink, no revisions allowed. Then I stumbled onto Phil's website. Spectacular vistas by motorcycle? I HAD to ride in Spain. I just had to. So, I sent my husband the link, and he immediately agreed that we needed to rework the trip.

As a relatively slim woman with no visible tattoos, most people are surprised to learn that I ride my own bike and have for over 20 years. But I never had the chance to play in the dirt. So at the ripe old age of 43, I was excited and apprehensive about going off-road for the first time. The ROTLT reviews inspired me to give it a try.

To squeeze in the new activity, we planned to arrive by car late one afternoon from Seville, stay at the Hotel Gecko, go riding the next day, then head out to Ronda afterwards. We made arrangements with Phil over the internet, who modified his normal Hotel Gecko package when we explained that we needed two bikes but only one room.

We arrived later than expected (but then we always do when on road trips). My husband's prior knowledge of the area thanks to satellite views on Google Earth helped us find the hotel. Maxine obviously recognized the sound of a car in search of parking and popped her head out the hotel window to direct us. We took our dusty selves to our very nice room, showered, then headed down for wine and dinner. (yum). Phil came by at the end of dinner to give us some information about the next morning. There would be only my husband (also never ridden off-road) and myself riding. Which made me feel better since we wouldn't be holding anyone back. As it turned out Phil said if he'd had a mixed group of novice and experienced riders he would have gotten a second guide so he could split the group.

In the morning after breakfast, Phil dragged a bunch of gear over for us to try on. He has an amazing assortment of hard-core motocross gear. (wear socks, underwear; seamless pants like bicycle tights or yoga pants and an under shirt - all else is provided) I felt nearly indestructible once kitted out. Then we went out to meet our steeds. I know nothing about off-ride bikes, so I don't know if there are better bikes to be had, but I put mine through a hell of a workout and I can definitely vouch for the power and durability of Phil's Suzukis.

So... to the riding.

I'm a bit under 5' 7" with a 32" inseam. I normally ride a Triumph Bonneville with a 30.5" (775mm) seat height. The DRZ is spec'd at 37.2" (945mm). I guess if I weighed more I might have compressed the springs enough to touch the ground, but alas... no. I was really intimidated by not being able to have both feet touch the ground. I think someone with more confidence in their leg strength would simply allow the bike to lean over and rest on one foot. I spent the day attempting not to stop :)

So, I was not feeling comfortable with the bike. And I was not feeling comfortable in all that stiff, heavy gear at first... I couldn't actually feel the shift or brake levers with my feet through the heavy boots, I didn't know when this bike wanted to be shifted, the engine noise was different, etc, etc... And the off-roadness started pretty much immediately so there wasn't much time to try to get acquainted with the bike before it was time to learn how to deal with the terrain. (intimidated yet? ok, me too... but keep reading)

Phil quickly had us standing on the pegs and learning to take easy turns. We eventually progressed to sharper turns that required pivoting around a planted leg. It was amazing, exhilarating, and when I took a turn too slowly and fell over, it was embarrassing. :) But the bike and I were fine. We wound through cork oaks and continued up the mountains to see some unbelievable views of the white villages. I fell two more times (my husband never fell). Once because I hit a bump and accidentally (didn't feel it through the boot) hit the brake hard enough to skid then I counter-steered myself into the ground, and once because I slid while cornering and hadn't put a foot down for a pivot. I scraped some plastic on the bike (deemed within normal wear and tear), shredded a moto-shirt sleeve (deemed beyond repair, so I bought that one and took it home), got a couple bruises (would have looked wicked tough at the neighborhood pool) but the bike and I were up and rolling again. It was fun but definitely challenging. We crossed water, dirt, mud, gravel, bowling ball sized rocks, uphill, downhill, cobblestones through town... the bikes just kept on going. Just when the physical and mental exhaustion were kicking it was time for lunch. Phil parked my bike for me on the canted street :)

We enjoyed a hearty lunch in a little village restaurant that is used to putting up with sweaty, incredibly dusty, hungry bikers. I was tired and my confidence was shot by then. But there was only one way home, so I got back on the bike. I'd like to say the route home was less technical. It wasn't. I'd like to say that I food and rest dramatically refreshed my skills. Not so much. BUT, I impressed myself on the way home by making it through a very twisty uphill section with perfect pivot turns, by not falling any more, and by just plain doing what I couldn't do the day before.

We went back to the garage and left a heap of dirty gear for Phil to deal with. And walked next door to the Gecko for well earned drinks before heading off to Ronda.

If you've never ridden off-road this is the ultimate way to learn. Phil is very friendly and welcoming as a guide. But this wasn't just a day in the country with your buddy. It was obvious that Phil takes the business very seriously. The bikes, gear and instruction are all top-notch. I was incredibly impressed that Phil had a satellite phone with GPS locator. He showed us which pocket he kept it in and explained how to call for help if needed. I don't ever want to need something like that, but it was really good to have the option.

At the end of the day, when we asked how long we'd been out, how far we'd ridden... He allowed as how we were out longer than usual and made less distance than usual. Ok... I get it. I was slow! But Phil kept smiling the whole time. He made me feel like taking newbies out for their first time was just as much fun for him as blasting around with the pros.

I loved it. I hated it. I'd do it again. I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't been completely scared off by this review. :) Especially women!

ADVICE FOR DIRT VIRGINS: Trust Phil's instructions. Trust the bike. Trust the gear. (Trust me! I know!) Drive within your ability to react but be prepared to push yourself to do things you don't think you can. Leave your ego at home - I fell. I asked for help. I rode slow. I needed help getting on the bike! I was a pain in the butt and no one minded (at least they didn't admit it) but do let Phil know ahead of time so he can arrange to have a second guide and run two groups.

ADVICE FOR SHORTER RIDERS: Once in motion I was fine, but I ended up asking for help to mount and dismount. Look for bumps and mounds to stop next to. Stop with the bike in gear (not my normal routine, but if I stopped in neutral with my left foot down I wasn't able to free up my left foot to shift to first. Nag Phil to lower one bike ;)

Visited October 2011
2 Thank Lauren B
Bergen, Norway
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another outstanding trip”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This was my second time down to the veritable playground that is Riders of the Lost Trail's home in Cortes de la Frontera and, once again, it was a truly memorable experience. It certainly won't be my last visit. New trails have been discovered by Phil and the conditions were amazing, as they always seem to be! Couple this with Phil's professional guidance and the hospitality of Bill and Max at El Gecko and you have the perfect recipe for an off-road riding experience. Outstanding :-)

Visited November 2011
Douglas, United Kingdom
“What a great Day!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Phil saw to it that I had an excellent days riding - nearly 120KM and nearly all of it off road through some stunning scenery - we also saw plenty of local wildlife. His bikes are in good condition and are well maintained as is the riding gear, he knows plenty of good tracks and he jugged the pace just right. After about 100KM riding I had a puncture in my front tyre. Evidently still full of energy Phil propped the bike up on some rocks, took off the front wheel , replaced the inner tube and put everything back together faster than I could have done it in my own work shop! I was impressed – while he was working 3 large pigs appeared out of the forest to see what was going on - they seemed less impressed as after briefly checking he hadn’t pinched the inner tube they carried on looking for acorns.

Visited October 2011
Chiclana de la Frontera, Spain
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Phil is a great guy who will show you around some really great trails with views that will make you smile all day long. I several years off road exprience so Phil tailored the ride to my ability and made sure it was challenging yet safe. Riders have a very professional and safe approach to what is an extreme sport, Phil was fitted with GPS tracker and has access to land rover and heli recovery should things go bad. Most of the trials and river crossings we sent on were away from any main roads but not too far that help could not be with us in a short space of time, so if you want to have fun without the worry Riders are definatley a good coice. The food and company were also great and the countryside in that region is breath taking. Watching birds of prey from a vantage point higher than them is fantastic. Whether you are experienced or a novice Phil and the team will make sure you have fun.Thanks.

Visited November 2010

Travelers who viewed Riders of the Lost Trail - Guided Off Road Motorcycle Trail Tours also viewed

Marbella, Costa del Sol
Estepona, Costa del Sol

Zahara de la Sierra, Sierra de Grazalema Natural Park

Been to Riders of the Lost Trail - Guided Off Road Motorcycle Trail Tours? Share your experiences!