“Great place to stay when visiting the white hill towns.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casitas de la Sierra

and 1 more site!
Casitas de la Sierra
Canberra, Australia
“Great place to stay when visiting the white hill towns.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

We spent three nights at Casitas de la Sierra and we wished we could have stayed longer. Montejaque is a cute little town and a great place for exploring the white hill towns. At Casitas de la Sierra, we had a comfortable house that was cool inside even without air conditioning and it was great to be able to jump in the pool after a hot day. We had a wonderful tapas bar recommended to us and Jenni and Jordi were friendly and incredibly helpful. Thanks so much for a brilliant few days!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Delightful well furnished houses in a tranquil garden setting, yet in the heart of Montejaque so all bars and shops are within walking distance. Great Italian restaurant on site too. Thanks Jeni & Jordi.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kristiansand, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We have visited Casitas twice already and both times our staying was very very satisfying. Beautiful landscape, the village with its friendly habitants and bars full of delicious tapas, great atmosphere... and peace. On top of that nice accommodation, stunning garden and really joyful service. Big thank you to Jeni and Jordi... and expect us again :)

• Stayed April 2014
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

What a little corner of paradise in the Spanish mountains this place is! I stayed here for a week in Spring and had the most wonderful time........hiking, spelunking, sampling a vast amount of tapas in the local bar, and just enjoying life in a tiny Andalucian village. The surrounding area is seriously stunning, lots of beautiful walks and scenic views, caves to explore, mountain tops to conquer, and is a perfect base for trips to Ronda and other Andalucian cities. Accommodation was great, loved my little casita- comfortable, clean, well-equipped, with wonderful views over the lush gardens. Waking up to bird song every morning and having coffee on my little terrace was pure bliss! Hard to leave this place! Jeni and Jordi, the owners, were fantastic- super friendly and helpful with everything. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed here with a friend while backpacking Europe last winter, and it was just the oasis of peace we needed after three months of traveling and sleeping on couches, this felt like pure luxury (but still quite a good price, even by my thrifty standards).

Indoors our house had two floors with a small balcony for our morning coffee after we finally got the motivation to leave our comfortable beds. The kitchen was well equipped, a TV was available and the couches were quite comfy.

Outdoors, the view was brilliant. By the time I'd walked through the courtyard and past the pool to the front gate I'd already be smiling remembering what a paradise I had woken up in.

The town itself is charming and laid-back; the locals are friendly and a little Spanish will take you a long way. The owners, Jeni & Jordi are warm, friendly, and extremely helpful - just ask them for some good food spots and prepare to be amazed. The best churros I've ever had were from this little back-alley, unmarked hole-in-the-wall that I'd never have found without Jordi's direction (and motivation to wake up that early!). There's a great local pastry shop, plentiful tapas, and if you're too lazy to go far the restaurant inside is pretty darn wonderful. The family that runs it is also friendly, and if you talk to them you'll hear some great stories. It didn't take long before we were having shots at the bar with the chef and sampling all the special local liqueurs. There was a fruit-based one that was really delicious... you'll have to go and find it for yourself, though. ;)

There's also a local grocer, too, if you'd like to cook at home. With Jeni & Jordi's help I was able to get all the ingredients to cook my own arroz negros. I think that meal is one of my favorite I've ever made, and I doubt if I'll ever be somewhere that I can so readily have the ingredients on hand... take advantage of the local produce.

Outside of the town, the hillsides are beautiful. You could walk for hours in the wilderness and never cease to be amazed. If you weren't keen on going alone, Casitas can hook you up with a knowledgeable guide. I recommend both kinds of hikes -- just do yourself a favor, do NOT leave before exploring the hills and valleys they have there. Bring a camera!

In all honesty, while the big cities were a wonderful experience, my best memories from Spain were in the friends, food and serenity I found while staying at Casitas de la Sierra. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nicole O
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Casitas de la Sierra feels like you're stepping into a movie, and was on of the favourite and most relaxing spots I stayed in my 5-month trip across Western Europe. I absolutely fell in love with Andalucia, Montejaque, and my experience at Casitas and actually ended up extending my stay there because I just couldn't stand to leave! I was there in December but the weather was sunny and in the 70s F the whole time, with refreshingly cool mountain nights.

The entire town is build on a hill in the middle of the Sierras and has some of the best views in town. Because of its location within town, you have the village on one side and just a perfect, unobstructed view of the mountains on the other. At the guesthouse I stayed at, I would go out onto my balcony for breakfast and just drink in the view.

The minute you step outside of town you are instantly on some fantastic hiking path, with lots of options where to go. The Cueva de la Pileta (http://www.cuevadelapileta.org/) is a nice walk from the village and has some fantastic ancient cave art and very reasonably priced tours. You are also very near to the city of Ronda, famously built on cliffs and one of the most picturesque towns you'll probably see. I know that you're not far from nice beaches either, though I kept myself so busy with hiking and exploring that I didn't get a chance to make it there.

Jen & Jordi (and their wonderful dog Lio) were so friendly and really will make sure you're getting the most out of your stay. The restaurant is right on site and has a nice atmosphere (and view of course =) and there is a little grocery very close by if you want to take advantage of the kitchen and make your own. All the houses, the restaurant, the pool and garden are all together within the gate and is like it's own oasis within the oasis of Montejaque. I can't wait to find a way to get back there someday!

Room Tip: All the houses overlook the garden and/or nice view of the mountains, I really don't know if the...