“Delightful!”

Ranked #6 of 16 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Muncie
“Delightful!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We were driving through Woodstock, with no reservations, and saw the vacancy sign at the Charleston House. We had to turn around and drive back a couple of blocks, and we are so glad we did. Dixie and Willa are wonderful hosts. Our room was charming and the breakfast delicious. Willa was kind enough to even share a recipe with me. We enjoyed our stay so much, we checked in for additional night on our way back through town! We would definitely give the Charleston House five stars.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kdwenger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

From the moment we arrived Dixi and Willa made us feel truly welcome. The setting in Woodstock is perfect - just a few minutes walk from the village centre but the B&B itself was the star. The bedroom was huge, beautifully furnished and the en suite jacuzzi bathroom was first class. The breakfasts, however, were the highlight of our day. Willa's cooking was an absolute revelation. Certainly no lunch required after sumptious breakfast served in a candlelit dining room. It was a pleasure to chat to Willa and Dixi who knew so much about the area (and life in general!) We stayed in several B & B's in New England during our two week holiday from England and this lovely B & B was the most memorable for all the right reasons.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane C
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Charleston House is a very nice B&B with cozy and clean rooms and a very nice host and hostess. The breakfast was delicious and the portions extremely generous. The B&B is situated very centrally in Woodstock and makes a good point af departure for strolls in the lovely town. Slightly expensive though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were only passing through the area and just needed a place to stay for one night. There weren't many hotels nearby, and they didn't seem to be the nicest places to stay. So I opted to stay at a charming bed and breakfast for not that much more $$. Other nearby B&Bs had a minimum of a two night stay which didn't work for us at all. The Charleston House had exactly what we needed.
Dixie and Willa were so nice. It felt like we were staying with seldom seen relatives in their home. We had one of the smaller bedrooms, but everything was clean and cozy. The restroom was also nice and clean. There was no television in our bedroom, and we were free to go into the living room and watch television there which we did for just an hour before bed.
Breakfast was huge with fresh fruit, muffins, and peach pie. It was too much for us to finish, but the owners weren't offended. There are no options when ordering breakfast, you just get what you get, like when staying with relatives. We were asked the night before if there was anything we couldn't or didn't eat (such as meat, pork, etc.) The breakfast was delicious. When we couldn't finish our muffins, they were wrapped up for us to take along on the road.
We wished we could have spent more time here, but we had to get traveling on to our final destination.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York Mills, New York
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My sisters and I just returned from an overnight stay. We loved this B & B! The rooms are beautifully decorated, the beds are comfy and the hosts are very welcoming. The breakfast is absolutely wonderful-no need for lunch! It has a very convenient central location and even though Woodstock is very walkable, it is nice that there is a free trolley running with various stops throughout the town. We would definitely return and recommend this establishment that is perfectly in keeping with the other quaint and historic buildings in Woodstock.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at this Inn in early May during our driving trip around New England.
Woodstock is a delightful town and The Charleston House is a comfortable, spotlessly clean
establishment with luxuriously appointed rooms. We were the only guests and our hosts were
charming and helpful. Breakfast was traditional and delicious with attentive, friendly service.
We enjoyed the family feel of the Inn with framed photographs and delightful pictures.
A really pleasant experience as part of our holiday in U.S.A.

Room Tip: Advisable to select a room at the rear of the Inn as could be noisy on the main street in the holid...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Danbury, Connecticut
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I was on a five day motorcycle journey through VT and when heading back south to my home in CT, it started to rain. I got to Queechee, VT and pulled into a shop with WiFi and searched for nearby accomodations. I came across The Charleston House and called them, explaining my precidament. They said "Yes - come on down - we've got plenty of room!". I headed south to the hamlet of Woodstock - a elegant and inviting little down, filled with historic buildings and quaint shops and found the Inn - a beautifully kept vintage home. Once inside I met Dixie and his wife Willa (the owners) who were more than gracious - they even moved their car to allow me to park the bike under their carport! They put me up in the most gorgeous room I think I've ever stayed in complete with a mile high bed (with stairs), a fireplace, AND a Jaccuzzi Tub! That tub was especially welcoming as I had been roughing it the past couple days staying at campsites and cabins. I so enjoyed that room and the next morning they prepared a wonderful breakfast and sat with me an chatted about the area and my trip over the next hour. As the Inn was quet as it was an off day, they allowed me to stay as long as I needed to so I could take a stroll through the shops in town which I so enjoyed.

I will definitely be back to this place to visit this lovely B&B and the wonderful folks who own/run it!

Room Tip: The Summer Kitchen Room is where I stayed - I would highly recommend it!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo