“A Memorable Meal”

Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed August 31, 2012

While staying at the Woodstock Inn, my husband and I had the pleasure of dining here. This resturant is highly rated by both Open Table and Trip Advisor and now we can see why that's so. Our meal, from start to finish, was superb. Chef Theresa takes simple ingredients and creates delicious and innovative selections. Truly genius! We were delighted when we had the chance to speak with Chef at our table; she was warm and gracious. Our server, Patty, was a delight, lending just the right balance of menu knowledge,humor and conversation. Our only regret was that we ate here on the last night of our stay; we could have eaten here every night and not been disappointed! Just wonderful. Thank you for a memorable meal and visit!

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is the gem in the immediate Woodstock area! The food is exceptional, the owners are gracious hosts and chef. We've gone each year, and it's better than ever. Simply put, you must go!!

1  Thank plindenm
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Chef Tan is genius with food. We live in Brussels and have traveled extensively, so we are no novices when it comes to good food. THIS IS FUSION CUISINE AT IT'S BEST !!! Each dish surprised us with flavors that truly were unique and surprising. Our appetisers :, Calamari & Wakame Seseme salad and Mushroom, Leeks, goat cheese & Riesling brulée, were some of the most inventive we have EVER eaten...ANYWHERE. (and we've been treated to many star-rated Michelin chefs) ! Our entrées : Grilled Plum & Mint glazed Rack of Lamb...WOW & the Grass-fed Sirloin w/ Ginger/Vinegar reduction...DELICIOUS. Then...Oh My Word...Dessert : TO DIE FOR STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING...and...Mixed Berry Crisp.
Every bite of this dinner was a gourmet's dream come true.
Oh, and the breakfast was a special treat, but we won't give away that menu, you'll have to go taste it for yourselves !!!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

My wife and I were visiting Woodstock, VT and I found Mangowood via web reviews. We eat out a lot and are relatively fussy. This was one of the most consistently good meals we have had recently. The food was well prepared, fresh, very competently seasoned and flavored, and well presented.

We have a unique mushroom and leek brûlée to start followed by a mushroom and ginger soup. Both were very tasty and well prepared with good lasting tastes. My wife had the lamp chops with plum and mint sauce and the lamb was tender, prepared as ordered and quite good. I had the grass fed sirloin and the steak was one of the better ones I have had for a while. We finished with the mixed berry tart with ice cream and we were delighted with the full sized berries hidden in the tart. It was a fitting end to a very good meal.

To top it off the waitress was calm, competent, charming and very sweet and helpful.

Overall, it was one of the best restaurant experiences we have had for a while and finding it in Vermont was great. I highly recommend Mangowood.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

--Based on the reviews on this site, we chose Mangowood over other restaurants in Woodstock and I was disappointed. People have raved about the crispy whole fish, but it's the presentation,not the taste that impresses. The fish is presented as if swimming, on its side, curved around the plate. It's tall and spectacular looking, however, taste-wise the flavor was kind of bland. The fish, identified as "a red fish with stripes" by a young, nice, but culinarily clueless waitress, tasted fishy and the simple soy sauce based dipping sauce didn't add much. The noodles accompanying it were also quite bland. And, by the way, $14 extra was added to the price of the $38 prix fixe meal. Really not worth it. You can take a walk over to another table to enjoy the spectacle of the fish without having to eat it or pay the extra price. Other dishes: the tofu fries were nice but nothing to really rave about. The night's special of a mushroom creme brulee with goat cheese was also nice but wouldn't order again. I did not like the taste of the shrimp and salmon cakes, Old Bay? One dinner partner loved the lamb. There wasn't enough of it for me to beg a taste. The other two dinner partners had sesame seed encrusted salmon. Again, the look of it (with black and white seeds) was interesting but it tasted bland to me. The desserts were the stars of the meal -- the berry crumble delicious and the sticky toffee pudding yummy with a really nice caramel sauce under it. Could have added a crunch to enhance the dish.
----- I hate to complain about the service because the waitress was very sweet but she didn't know what was in the dishes, she had a hard time explaining them, she didn't have any strong opinions when asked, and couldn't be found in or near the dining room for water refills. If I could venture a guess, she was the manager's daughter filling in that evening?
-----Atmosphere: The lighting in the place could be brought down for a better atmosphere and the sconces changed over to match the nice blue and white painted room. A little investment in more modern sconces would improve the look but overall it was comfy/elegant.
-----This is my 50th review for Tripadvisor and if you read my reviews, you can see that I give quite a few 4 or 5 stars. This restaurant needs to step it up, in terms of spice and in terms of value.

1  Thank verycriticaltraveler