“Our new favorite!!!”
Review of Grist Mill House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodstock
Grist Mill House
Ranked #13 of 16 Woodstock B&B and Inns
Sheffield, MA
“Our new favorite!!!”
Reviewed March 17, 2008

On a whim, my fiance and I decided to take off to Vermont for the weekend. We were looking for a place to get away from it all. I found the Grist Mill House on-line and was astonished with the reasonable price and friendly feel I got from the web-site. When we arrived at the house, my first thought was that the website didn't do it justice. It is twice as big as it appears in the photos, and so warm and inviting.
We did have a hard time finding Woodstock. I suggest that if you are planning a trip there, do not follow MapQuest's directions. At one point at about 9:00pm we found ourselves on a very quaint dirt road. Thankfully I had cell service and was able to contact Peter at the inn. He gave me very detailed directions, and even stayed up and made us dinner since at that point nothing else in town was open.
Peter and Carole are great, they made us feel right at home. At one point we forgot we were renting from two strangers, and started to believe that we were just visiting two old friends.
If you are traveling to the Woodstock area and choose to stay at the Grist Mill house, I hope to see you there. It is one place that I will keep going back to.

• Liked — The food, hospitality, historic setting..... everything!
  • Disliked — Didn't dislike anything.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indianapolis
Reviewed October 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at the Grist Mill House. We had a wonderful stay! Our host Peter was very friendly and helped us find out way around the area. The breakfasts he cooked were some of the best we ever had! The house is beautiful and the beds are very comfy. We had a relaxing stay. The bathroom was very nice also. We really enjoyed our stay and loved the Woodstock area. We hope to return in the future.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2007

We were traveling on a road trip to Vermont in the peak fall season, and frantically looking for a B&B's or inn to stay. A search on the Woodstock Chamber of Commerce led us to the Grist Mill House, where, fortunately, the best room (The Kedron Room) was available for our preferred dates. To top it, they had the most competitive price amongst the other inns we looked at!

The House is beautiful, antique, comfortable and cozy. The website says it all, and everything it says is exactly what you'd experience. In fact, it was more than that for us. The Kedron room, if available, is highly recommended. It overlooks the Kedron brook, which flows right past the house, and you can literally hear it flow. The innkeeper, Peter Pickett is extremely helpful, and willingly helped us with planning our trip locally. He is a very good host, and very informative.

The Grist Mill house is not for party folks, or noisy people. But if you're looking for a couple of peaceful days in a rather serene and scenic surroundings far from the bustle of the city, this old inn in the little village of South Woodstock will be a memorable place to stay. The interesting town of Woodstock is only about 3 miles north. This area is close to a couple of interesting places like the Quechee River Gorge and Park, and the Cornish-Windsor covered bridge - the longest of its kind in the country! It is also close to the Black River scenic route, and several other scenic drives and backroads.

And don't miss the trip to the next door Water Buffalo farm early in the morning. The small farmer's market kind of store next to the inn sells fantastic water buffalo yogurt direct from the farm. Also try out some fresh Maple syrup and aged sharp cabot cheese! The Grist Mill House serves freshly made bountiful breakfast, kind-of customized as per your choice.

• Liked — The house, the host, the ambience, surroundings, and the breakfast.
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
Reviewed March 18, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Kedron Room for one night---we wished we had planned to stay for two!

The house was even more amazing than we expected. It is an old grist mill with beautiful hardwood floors and lots of character. Each room bed has a handmade quilt and is nicely, but simply, appointed.

Our host, Peter, was very welcoming. He met us as we pulled into the driveway and helped us with our bags. He showed us around the entire inn (we were the only one's staying there that night---a Monday--so he was able to show us all of the rooms which looked equally nice. The separate bath was large and clean---with high quality towels and a skylight (great for viewing the night sky!)

Breakfast was very good---and the homemade scones were AMAZING! Peter shared his recipe with us, and even packed two extra scones for us when we left (we had a bit of a drive---he even offered to make us sandwiches!)

Peter was an excellent conversationalist and is a genuinely good person. We will certainly return to stay with him if we are ever up the area again.

• Liked — Beautiful inn, great location, great price
  • Disliked — Shared bath (though not a problem when you are the only guests!)
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LCraig
Connecticut
Reviewed February 2, 2007

We were looking for a weekend away "from it all" and definitely came to the right place! One word to describe the Grist Mill House is "warmth". From the decor of each room - with wood floors, baskets, quilts to the warmth of the wood stove you immediately feel at home. Most importantly is the warmth you receive from Peter and Carol. They are by far the nicest people you could ever meet. They took such good care of us and offered any assistance with anything we needed. Whether it be recommending a place to eat (Kendron Valley Inn had the best fried tomatoe and goat cheese appetizer) to walking you to a local farm for a horse drawn sleigh ride they always made sure you were happy. The biggest treat is breakfast. We come from a household with children, so breakfast usually consists of cheerios and bananas. What a wonderful treat to actually sit and have a warm delicious breakfast served. From the best buttermilk currant scones to the puffed apple pancakes (YUM!) breakfast was always such a treat. As a side note - waking up to the smell of breakfast was also a nice treat. As we left to make our way back home we promised each other that we would make this a yearly treat. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 27, 2005

Was looking forward to staying at what looked like a nice place. As we were running a bit behind schedule on our drive up, I phoned the innkeeper to update him on our arrival time. He chose that moment to inform me that the room I had booked via e-mail had been rented out to someone else! And what was I offered in the way of an explanation? "There turned out to be too many variables for me to keep track of and I was so busy" !!! Then he had the nerve to suggest that I shouldn't have made "a decision to get in the car and assume there is a room." I had (and still have) an e-mail setting out my formal booking!!! I am a veteran traveler and a detail oriented person. Believe me when I say I followed every rule and every procedure that had been set by the innkeeper. I fear he simply forgot me.

The Innkeeper did manage to help me find another room in another town, but it lacked the charm and location offered by the Grist Mill and I fear our weekend suffered considerably as a result. My advice is that if you chose to overlook my negative experience and book anyway, please give yourself some kind of contingency plan.

• Stayed August 2005
1 Thank mahonah
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 26, 2005

After being turned away by the Maple Leaf Inn (see review of the Maple Leaf Inn located in Barnard, VT), I called the Grist Mill House in South Woodstock, VT. Peter, the innkeeper, cheerfully answered the phone, said he would make the room with two single beds into a king for us and otherwise prepared our room for our arrival in short order with little notice. Upon arrival, he inquired if we had eaten dinner. When he learned we had not, he immediatly phoned the Kedron Valley Inn and made sure their kitchen would stay open for us (they were just about to close). We had dinner in the pub at the Kedron Valley Inn, which has a spectacular intimate setting and good food. Make sure to ask Peter about the history of the house. Peter's breakfast the next morning was absolutely fantastic. Homemade "sticky buns", sausage and french toast with fruit. His hospitality was out of this world. The website is gristmillhouse.com.

You won't confuse the Maple Leaf Inn and the Grist Mill House as they are two completely different types of accomodations. If you enjoy history and like a more rustic, but very nice place, you will enjoy the Grist Mill House. Further, the price can't be beat.

• Stayed August 2005