Osteria Pane e Salute
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We hadn't visited Woodstock for a few years, but were eagerly awaiting our return to Pane e Salute. The four of us did the fixed price menu and all intentionally chose different menu items for our courses in order to share a few. The owner and the servers were fantastic, accomodating a few dietary preferences and also creating a "mocktail" for a non-drinking member of our party. Everything we ordered was unique and delicious, including the owner recommended wine pairings with the desserts. She also made a list of recommended cheese farms we should visit the following day. Plan on spending the evening there...it is part of the whole experience. Relax and enjoy yourself. . Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed January 22, 2012

be prepared to sit for a very long time. slow food indeed. we went with much anticipation, hoping it would be the best restaurant in the region. it was more than an hour and a half until our salad was delivered. the dressing was overly oily and salty. not the lightness of flavors blossoming we would have liked from deidre's lovingly descriptions of the greens. the lamb stew was blandly described by the waitress and indeed it was. it may be worth going to have pizza to enjoy this lovely atmosphere. other diners were regulars who seem to enjoy this restaurant. we would have liked to sing their praises. they also had a 17% gratuity already added---no wonder, they need to make sure their help will have some funds....and unfortunately not what would have been ccnsidered given the evg.from other reviews, i iwish we had the risotto or pizza. we will still tell others to try because deirdre and her staff are nice people and its an unusual setting for this area.
the bill was too high, given the experience.

1  Thank george g
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The atmosphere is charming, but the service is erratic as is the
cuisine. The owner greets you and starts off the evening with an explanation of the menu, including the prix fixe menu
for $44 per person. She promised to come back and help with a wine recommendation/ pairing. But sadly, she never came back and eventually we flagged the waitress down and made our own selection of a good Sicilian red.
The first two courses were delicious with a fried green onion and ricotta appetizer and a risotto with apples and pancetta. The pizza was excellent if you like the very thin crispy crust, which i do.
Now onto the pork belly, which my husband and I both ordered. We love pork belly and have had it in many different restaurants and it is always succulent. Unfortunately, the pork belly we were served was more like a piece of old Canadian bacon, tough and dried out. The meal went further downhill when we waited for almost a half hour after the credit card was taken. Finally the waitress and then the chef told us they had run out of paper for the credit card machine. The owner came over with the unitemized bill on a piece of paper with a 14% gratuity added on. So much for having a choice about the level of service and an appropriate tip. An offer of a digestif or coffee would have taken the edge off of the inconvenience of waiting so long for the check.
Overall, Some very good food, one not so great dish, and uneven service.

1  Thank CarolaEMurphy
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Pane e Salute is a special treat which one is invited to savor. Dinner is the event, the perfect complement for an evening of conversation with special friends. Trust your hosts to advise and educate you, if you want, about the menu and the ingredients. Sit back and leave the meal to them.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

The moment I stepped foot inside this special corner of heaven, I knew I was in for something special. The restaurant had been recommended to me by a foodie friend who raved about the farm-to-table slow food that we were about to experience first hand. The interior itself was auspicious, given that there were few tables, stunning yet simple floral arrangements, a restaurant-scape that had been put together with care and love, the owners books out for display together with their own wines grown at their vineyard down the road, and, the pleasant assault of smell of freshly cooked food mostly picked straight from the owners farm.

I asked Deirdre to choose my 4 course tasting menu and pair the wines and she did not disappoint. The wines themselves were an adventure all on their own. Deirdre explained their background with passion and experience.
If you want fast food, don't eat here! Our long evening passed sublimely as each course took it's time while it was being prepared with love and care. The crostini with lardo was a simple but most tasty starter. Then came the most incredible risotto. I had not tasted risotto so good ever in the US. The risotto was light, not overly rich and laced with apple, leeks and smoked in rich pancetta. Another favorite was my husband's pork belly with fava beans and escarole. We were both transported to Tuscany where we had dined on a similar dish earlier in the year. The Dorade fish was also a simple yet perfect dish, roasted in white wine and olive oil, resulting in a melting of flavors that had me sipping my wine ever so gently in heavenly partnership.

The finale for me was an apple crostata, the apples picked straight from Deirdre and Caleb's farm, the pastry clearly made that same day. We lingered and lingered, not wanting to leave. Caleb, the owner-chef, came out from the kitchen after our dessert and tempted us with a walnut, citrus and herb infused digestivo that he made himself from the treasures in his garden. (Caleb, please pardon me if I got the name of your magical potion wrong!). I'm not usually partial to after dinner drinks, but this was simply amazing, and I left the restaurant riding on a cloud of foodie nirvana.

This restaurant is something special and worth a destination drive from New York, Boston or anywhere in the world to be frank. Just be sure to book well in advance, or you'll miss out on a palette changing experience.

PS. Be sure to visit the bathroom - the owners talent for interior design is also evident here. Their gorgeous farm was featured in the House Beautiful November 2011 edition.