“Disappointed in an old standby”

The Prince and the Pauper
Ranked #3 of 31 Restaurants in Woodstock
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2014

The last time we dined at Prince and the Pauper was in 2006 so our expectations were based on very favorable experiences almost a decade ago. Did we set the bar too high? Perhaps. However, our experience at our most recent visit was disappointing to say the least. The room is still charming and the staff is still as friendly as ever but there are a number of things that seemed to point to fraying around the edges (women's room being out of TP is one). Unfortunately that extended to the food. I noted other reviewers also had issues with some of the food not being cooked to order. I ordered lamb medium rare but (and this may be my fault) added that the chef should prepare it the way he prefers. It came out very rare. If it were any rarer I would have had to wrestle it to the ground. Our server noticed this before we did since she mentioned it was not as ordered as she set down the plates. If that was the case though, would it not be best to not place the onus on us to return it (we didn't) and take care of it before taking the plate to the table? If this was the restaurant's 'signature dish' someone needs to improve on their handwriting. Another disappointment was the presentation. Sides were all jammed on the plate together. No room for display of sauces if there were any. At $51 a head there should not be an 8 dollar charge for dessert. I know, I know. Not everyone orders dessert but it might be better to charge a few bucks more and include it or ditch the salad that comes between the appetizer and the entree. I want to emphasize that I am not looking to slam the Prince and the Pauper. If this were a restaurant with 18 dollar entrees and 9 dollar appetizers then it might get a higher rating. But for what is considered the best restaurant in Woodstock VT with prices to match the experience was a letdown. Some negative reviews seem a tad angry, but that was not our take. We left somewhat sad that an old standby may have seen its best days.

2  Thank CastineDiner

Reviewed August 26, 2014

We really enjoyed our meal at The Prince and the Pauper. Everything was well prepared. Our only complaint is that there was an unusually long interval between our appetizers and entrees arriving.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

I strongly recommend a reservation at this very popular restaurant. We had the dinner special. I had excellent mussels in white wine/garlic sauce which were excellent, then the duck which was good but nothing special. The vegetables were good but the portion very small. The rice was pretty tasteless. My husband had the pasta puttenesca which was wonderful and then veal marsala. He thought both of them were excellent. Our dinners came with a nice side salad. It was a lot of food for us so we skipped dessert. The service was very nice, prompt and personal. We will certainly return when back in Woodstock.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

This restaurant is worth a visit even if you are just passing through. I have visited this area of Vermont for over 25 years and this was the first time I ate here. The meal was very expensive, but very memorable. Excellent, excellent and excellent.!!! If you like gourmet food and are willing to pay $150 for two and that includes drinks, you will love this place. Enjoy!!!

1  Thank JohnWesley_13
Reviewed August 18, 2014

The bar is small and cozy, the interior is varnished wook with tables and booths and the parking is nearby.

1  Thank robitod