“Tops in Woodstock”

Winchester MA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tops in Woodstock”
Reviewed October 9, 2008

My husband and I have a second home n Plymouth Vt and since being welcomed by Vin, for the first time, MANY years ago, have enjoyed so many lovely dinner hours with the Prince through the years. This coming weekend, in spite of the expected crowds, we anticipate another superb meal with choice wine as we celebrate our 49th wedding anniversary. Always an innovative, seasonal menu, superb chef artistry and professional, friendly service. Try the carré d"agneau! Beyond compare!

1 Thank Ojosverdes14

sandy hook, ct
“The Prince and the Pauper NEVER disappoints!!”
Reviewed July 10, 2008

My husband and I travel to Woodstock three or so times a year, and we always have dinner at the Prince and the Pauper. The staff is always welcoming and gracious, and the food has always been fantastic!! The Ahi Tuna is my favorite entree, and my husband loves the filet mignon. I dream of the profiterolles and cappucciono!!! The atmosphere at this wonderful restaurant is just delightful. The location is perfect for anyone staying in Woodstock, easy to walk to and also plenty of parking in the area. I highly recommend this restaurant!! If you are early, sit in the lounge/tap area and have a cocktail. It is truly fabulous!

2 Thank vtboundasap
scotland
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 1, 2007

On a weeks holiday in Woodstock and not having booked a table for Saturday night we struggled to find a restaurant but eventually had an excellent meal at The Lauren.

So, next night we booked at The Prince and Pauper and were very disappointed at the relatively poor quality of the food.

A very over-cooked duck with somewhat crude and uninspired vegetables did not make up for the friendly service.

Stodgy and somewhat greasy pastry surrounded an otherwise well-cooked lamb dish.

The portions are large, at least by European standards, and the restaurant was full and obviously popular but there is definitely better quality food to be had elsewhere in this attractive village.

7 Thank tofty
Hartford
“A New England Experience”
Reviewed September 27, 2006

We have visited P&P a number of times and have always had a very good experience. The location is wonderful for all of those staying within Woodstock proper, an easy walk. The food has always been very well prepared and the atmosphere is what you would expect from a quaint NE resturant. I recommend a cold winter night with a light snow on the ground. It is wonderful to walk through Woodstock town and then into the warm cosy resturant. I read other reviews, and I am always wary of folks who give low scores for smaller menus. Smaller menus mean that the chefs know what they are doing, and make sure that all of their food is very fresh and consumed quickly. This is not TGI Fridays you know. A small resturant with 6-10 entres is quite normal. I would also doubt a person ordering Ahi Tuna - Medium. You might as well order a can of tuna. Go, and you'll have a great experience. Promise.

2 Thank TravelTrio
Kennebunk, Maine
“Always excellent, at the Prince and Pauper”
Reviewed September 17, 2006

We enjoyed yet another fabulous dinner at the P&P on Saturday evening. Over the past 2 years we've traveled from Kennebunk, Maine to Woodstock (2 1/2 hours one way) on at least six occasions, for the sole purpose of dining at the Prince and Pauper. We've never been disapppointed, and Saturday night was no exception. For starters I enjoyed pork and vegetable spring rolls that were prefectly crisp and served with Thai spicy mustard, a bit of Wasabi coulis, and delicious ginger dipping sauce. My husband raved about his smoke salmon starter. Then we enjoyed a mixed green salad with a light balsamic dressing and bleu cheese, which was excellent. For entrees I chose the Ahi Tuna which was cooked to perfection. A prior reviewer commented about the Ahi being overdone, but I believe the disappointment was because one should not order it medium -- it's best rare or at most medium rare. Mine was served on a bed of soba noodles, along with broccoli and shoepeg corn. My husband chose the Delmonico steak and said it, too, was cooked perfectly. For dessert we shared Profiteroles that were outstanding. The service was exceptional -- right down to the inclusion of a candle in our dessert in recognition of my upcoming birthday! We plan to return to the P&P in December to celebrate our anniversary and our only regret is that it is 2 months away and we're not sure we can wait that long to return!

1 Thank Whoopi2