“Always Good”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've been here a few times. The food and service is always good. Probably the most consistent restaurant in Woodstock.

There are newer reviews for The Prince and the Pauper

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Our dinner at the Prince and the Pauper was excellent. They had a Prix Fix menu - our appetizers were both delicious and well presented. Our salads and dinners were both excellent as well.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

The food was very good. We both had the salmon which was delicious. The service was very helpful. Friendly and offered good suggestions. We ordered a la carte, not off of the three course menu, which made the price very reasonable.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I went here on Friday evening for dinner. We received a $100 gift certificate that we decided to use. Upon walking in, there was no one there to greet us, we had to walk over to the bar area on our own, the bar stools were filled and we sat on the couch that they had in the bistro room, it was very awkward and extremely uncofmrtable. No one came over to take a drink order, I had to get up, ask people at the bar on the bar stools to move so I could get to the bartender. FIRST IMPRESSION = STRIKE 1!

When we sat down for dinner our waitress had no personality, didn't ask how we were, or where we were from, or if we had any questions with the menu, just took our order and tht was that. I ordered a cheeseburger medium rare, my wife had salmon. My burger came out and it was medium to nearly well done and it was also slightly cold. My wife's salmon was scalding hot, which makes me think the burger was done way before the salmon and thus the burger continued to cook. The burger was served with Challah bread, not a wise choice to put on a burger, the bread is hard and if I didn't know any better I would have sworn they gave me stale bread but I just wanted to eat and leave, after arriving and not gettiung freeted I already knew that we weren't coming back. There was a couple seated next to us and the husband sent his ahi tuna steak back because it too, wasn't prepared correctly, starting to see a trend here? For a piece of slamon and a burger we were there over 1 hour, our waitress was terribly slow and inattentive. Again, if she had a personality this wouldn't have been a problem with me, I would have let it slide. FOOD = STRIKE 2!

When all was said and done our bill came to $84, I left the $100 gift certificate on the table and we proceeded to leave. The waitress came running after myself and my wife, saying WE SEEM LIKE NICE PEOPLE AND I'M SURE THIS WASN'T DONE ON PURPOSE BUT SHE DOESN'T GET A TIP ON A GIFT CERTIFICATE AND SHE WAS EMABRRASSED TO ASK US FOR ONE, really??? I was mortified, she can suddenly move quickly when her tip is involved! She then went and got the manager and I asked him would I then receive a $16 gift certficiate since we only used $84? He said no, you have to use the gift certificate all in 1 fell swoop. So not only did I NOT get the difference back but I also had to pay for a tip that I felt should have come out of the gift certificate. BEING CHASED OUT OF THE RESTAURANT FOR A TIP = STRIKE 3!

They failed miserably when I arrived there was no one there to greet me, the food was sub par at best, and then to chase after me for a tip on a gift certificate was beyond comprehension.

AVOID!!!!

3  Thank Rosie P
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Tuesday dinner with son and his family was very, very good. The small bar area and restaurant area is so " New England", just what someone from out of town would be looking for.