“Nice and clean”

The Shire Woodstock
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Great location, walk to everything. Clean, well appointed, nice staff good view on the river

• Stayed: October 2011
There are newer reviews for The Shire Woodstock

Reviewed September 16, 2011

This was the 6th year that my wife and I have stayed at the Shire Riverview Motel. Some times we get two long weekend during the summer. We have a great time and you should know the rooms are so much better than what the "motel" indicates. We are an older couple and the rooms have great lighting and comfortable chairs to sit and read. The porch is just outside every room door, with morning coffee and a wonderful view of the river and hills. We love it.

Room Tip: This location is right in town, leave the car and walk every where. There is the village grocery st...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tom_Eirich
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was much nicer than expected. Very clean and quiet and the price was fair. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I searched far and wide for a halfway decent place for graduation weekend that wasn't too outrageously overpriced. The really cheap places were going for $300 a night! The town of Hanover was completely packed. All decent hotels had sold out almost a year prior. In February, I was about to give up and stay an hour away... when I found the Shire. It's an easy and pretty 15 minute drive to campus in the very cute little New England town of Woodstock. The hotel is right on the river and all the rooms have this view. There is a lovely covered patio upstairs for the rooms without one. A coffee/tea maker with cups was up there so we sat and chatted while having our tea in very comfortable chairs. See photo. We stayed upstairs and were so delighted. My 80 year old father did just fine with the stairs. The room was beautifully decorated, clean, quiet and very large. The beds were really comfy and I'm very picky about that. Air conditioning worked very well and was quiet enough. The front desk staff all were so helpful and nice. The let me use their microwave, umbrellas, gave directions and didn't fret when my credit card didn't go through because of a complication!! I love this place. The room was reasonably priced for the week at $168 a night. We had two rooms for all of us. Sounds high but compared to what I was looking at dumps for $300...this was a real value and incredible find so close to campus, but not too far. Grocery store across the street and minutes from lots of shops and restaurants.

Room Tip: If you're going for graduation week...plan at least 6 months ahead. Everything sells out.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We were given a second floor corner room facing the street and the room was awesome! Clean, spacious, private, with about 40 feet of porch all to ourselves. The bed was comfortable, the windows were big and we had French doors out to the porch seating. Bathroom was large, towels were like home. We will return and will request the same room; it rocked!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I have stayed at this motel for at least 15 to 20 years during horse show and trail riding season. I have brought friends and family here often and am a regular, reliable customer. A few months ago my horse came up lame and I had to cancel my trip. I was charged a full nights stay as a penality approximately $170 and even though I was a very good yearly customer they would not waive this charge even though I was not informed of it when I cancelled. Had I know I was going to be charged I would have vacationed there without my horse!!! When I got my credit card statement charge I called and asked what was up. I was flatly told to read the fine print by the owner herself who I know and have dealt with for years. Customer service gets a serious ZERO and I really hope that charging me $170 is worth the thousands of dollars I would have spent there this year, next year etc., and that all my horse people friends, due to this policy would never book there again. There are several motels in the Woodstock area that not only refund one night room deposits if a horse or rider come up lame, but offer discounts as well.. I am thankful for this episode because in the long run I will save bunches of money and deal with owners that appreciate frequent visitors. AGAIN BEWARE of cancellation policy horse people....

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank redford44
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We arrived with no reservation looking to stay a couple of nights and found this gem right within a short walking distance to the middle of town. We were given a lovely room with a wonderful view of the river. The room was quite clean and very nicely decorated. The staff were all quite friendly and helpful. We can't wait to come back!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
506 On The River Inn
#1 of 6 in Woodstock
Quality Inn at Quechee Gorge
Woodstock Inn and Resort
The Village Inn of Woodstock

Been to The Shire Woodstock? Share your experiences!