“Simply delicious”

Ranked #12 of 31 Restaurants in Woodstock
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Cloudland Farm offers farm-to-table dining right on the farm where many of the ingredients were grown. Everything is made from scratch and all ingredients are locally sourced. The menu changes daily. Dine by the fireplace during the winter, or come early and enjoy the porch before dinner during the summer months. BYOB. Reservations required.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The food here was uniquely fresh and delicious. They combined flavors in unexpected (and appreicated!) ways. In addition, the service was excellent.

I would love to go back to his amazing restaurant.

1  Thank Heather B

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Everything about our meal was perfect, from the pickled ramp that garnished our stuffed chicken breast to the creative use of parsnips in the panna cotta dessert (who knew parsnips could go with chocolate sorbet?) The service was a little off...it took forever to get our check...but no big deal. As someone who usually agonizes over what to order, I always enjoy pre fixe menus. I also like the fact that each ingredient is listed on the back of the menu, along with the farm that produced it (or in case of the ramps, the guy who foraged them). The building itself is a little nondescript, although it does lay at the end of a rugged but gorgeous country road. give yourself time to get there so you can enjoy the drive up.

1  Thank Matt B
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We live in Vermont. Vermont has some of the finest locally-sourced artisan food in the Nation, and we do our best to sample as much as possible. That being said, the meal that we recently had at Cloudland farm stands out among all the rest. Everything that is served is either raised at Cloudland farm, or is sourced from a local farm. On the back of the menu, they disclose where every ingredient of the meal was grown/raised.

The flavor of everything that we were served was absolutely delicious. The salad greens tasted like they had been plucked from the garden only a few seconds before I ate them. The sauces that were served on the plate had such an exquisite flavor that my mouth is watering just thinking about them. I rarely eat beef; I think it is bland and boring. However, the meal featured sliced eye-of-round beef which I thought was flavorful and delicious. The dessert was great; at first I thought the portion size was small, but when I finished, I was perfectly satisfied. The flavor, again, was amazing.

As others have said, the restaurant is only open two days/week; on Thursday and Saturday. The menu has only one choice for dinner, but the menu is available on their website a few days before the meal so you can see what is going to be served. It is BYOB, with a modest $5 per table corking fee. The service was enthusiastic and pleasant. And based on our experience in the area, the price for dinner was relatively cheap. We will most certainly be returning. Again and again.

1  Thank gulloj
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I learned of this restaurant on the Trip Advisor website. My wife and I were looking for a facility to hold a rehearsal dinner gathering. Fortunately the wedding was on Friday, and so the Thursday rehearsal dinner fell in line with the Thursday-Saturday open days. We booked Cloudland for a party of 30 people in mid April. We had hors d'oeuvres (their cheese platter and Cloudland beef sausage bites and meatballs were outstanding), and for our family style dinner we had Turkey Pot pie with root vegetables, mixed green salad and carrot cake for dessert. Everyone raved about the food, the service and the facility. We were worried about the condition of the 4 mile dirt road in April, but it was no problem. Just drive carefully home at night. This is the best place to eat in the Woodstock area for dinner ....you just have to make sure you are there in the area on Thursdays or Saturdays (Fridays are also available during the summer months) It is amazing to us that the Emmons family is so attentive to this business while running a full fledged farm for a day job. Cathy Emmons is a true professional.

1  Thank Jim M
Reviewed April 19, 2013

You may have read my earlier review of Cloudland from our first visit...burger night. We liked it so much we went back two nights later for another terrific meal served by the delightful wait staff led by the farm owner's wife Kathy. Cloudland is about five miles north of Woodstock, out a very rural and beautiful stretch of land. A portion of the Appalachian Trail runs through the Cloudland Farm.

The Saturday night menu was very different from burger night. It started with a warm, crunchy french bread with VT butter (yum). That was followed by spring greens with roasted beets, chèvre, candied pistachios and pickled cranberries...what a wonderful combination of flavors. Then a pretty incredible Farm generated Delmonico steak down just right, caramelized onion butter, potato galette, honey glazed carrots and an amazing maple (remember this is VT) balsamic sauce...would you have thought of that combination? It worked extremely well. And now, wait for this...dessert was a warm, apple, rosemary and camembert tart, brown sugar streusel, creme fraiche ice cream and red wine caramel...again what an unusual explosion of tastes that came together very nicely. The chef is inventive and really knows what he's doing.

To repeat from my first review, they serve in the winter only Thursday and Saturday; in the summer they add Friday. It's BYOB. In the summer they have an outside porch where those dining that evening come early and get started on their bottle of wine. There is a set menu...basically no choices unless I think you ask beforehand on behalf, for example, of a vegetarian. You can find out what's on the menu on line on the Wednesday of the week you are going. Reservations recommended. We were there during what Vt refers to as "mud season", truly an off-season and Cloudland was packed.

2  Thank Groveland