“Very good breakfast, especially if you're staying at the Inn”

Red Rooster at The Woodstock Inn and Resort
Ranked #7 of 31 Restaurants in Woodstock
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 106 South Street
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Overall a good experience, although I do have to admit the service was a little slow - but breakfast should ease you into the day. It took a while for our waitress to come over to our table and finally bring us coffee and a tea, which she did with a smile. A few minutes later she came back and took our order. My partner and I both had omelets and they were both very good. My BIL had the corned beef has which he deemed excellent. Overall the food was good as was the service. Nothing out of the ordinary, but fine just the same.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Red Rooster at Woodstock Inn and Resort -
It is a shame that such a nice hotel with really great service leaves much to be desired “in the dining room.” I longingly remember when they had both a café and a restaurant, back some 10-12 years ago. And there were only two adjectives to describe the food: great and very good. Times changed.
Breakfast – a very important meal of the day, especially if you stay with 4 year old twins who are eager to go skiing afterwards. Good service is not all smiles (that goes without saying) but attention to detail, and when a waitress sees kids at the table she should understand that they cannot sit and wait patiently for 20 minutes for their cereal, they are not trained to do it, they get upset, the parents get upset and as a result the day starts on the wrong note. How much time does it take to remove 2 packets of cereal off the shelf and pour milk and bring all this to the table – 5 minutes tops, right? When we pointed to the waitress that it had been 20 min since we ordered she said she “would talk to the manager.” Talk to the manager about what?
Talking about milk – this is not summer, we are talking about kids and to bring milk straight from the refrigerator is not acceptable. It should be room temperature at the very least. About milk again – any self-respecting dining room manager who is supposed to train staff should know that milk should be served piping hot to go with coffee. We had to ask the waitress to remove very cold milk, heat it and bring it back – more time wasted… I ordered poached eggs – when I got my dish the eggs were literally floating in some watery liquid, very unappetizing; I returned it to the kitchen only to get the dish back with just less liquid. I have a feeling that they thought I was being “difficult” as the staff calls the customers who make them do their job.
Kids’ menu – not healthy and not tasty at all. We ordered chicken fingers (with French fries, of course) – they were coated in something as hard to bite as nails. My hungry girls just gave up.
Richardson Tavern – drinks are fine, service is very good, the atmosphere is very pleasant. Food – not so much; we ordered duck strips and, surprise surprise, they were coated in the same “signature” staff as the chicken fingers – of course, the same kitchen… we were rather hungry but could not appreciate the taste of the duck – it was hard to get to it…
Morning and afternoon coffee and tea – very nice, but gets messy after the first 10 minutes, and there is nobody to keep an eye on it to clean and straighten up.
In summary – I will wholeheartedly recommend stay at the Woodstock Inn but if I stay I would most probably try other places to eat. Of course, there is always hope they will make changes.

1  Thank philby92
Reviewed January 31, 2013

If you want quality and fresh food, The Red Roster is your place. We had a really nice diner with great selections for our entres. We had breakfast each morning here during our stay at the Woodstock Inn. It was very good. Try the steel cut oatmeal.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

This place has an inhouse butcher, and it shows. They makes their own smoked salmon, cured meats, sausage, you name it. There is a thoughtful eye to local food sources here- and it is reflected in the quality of the food. This was a wonderful place for breakfast two days in a row.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The best part about this restaurant is that it appeared to be pretty new. I am not sure when it was built. However, it looked like an old school vermont establishment, but appeared newly constructed. It is also great that it is open for Bfast, lunch and dinner. Too many inns and establishes in vermont do not have a full time restaurant. Services was good and the food was good. The menu is very welcoming. Only semi criticism was that the breakfast buffet was not that hot. food kind of cold. But it was good.

Been to Red Rooster at The Woodstock Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!