“Great inn, mediocre service”

Woodstock Inn and Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed at the Woodstock Inn twice during the past year. I have wonderful things to say about the location and the beautiful town, the service at the Inn not so much.

After my first stay I was charged three times. One charge was correct and for my room, the other two were unexplained. When I tried calling the Inn to dispute the charges it took about 30 minutes to speak to an actual person. When I did actually speak to a rep from the Inn she was rude and basically said she couldn't do much until her accountant could look at things. She made me feel like I was trying to scam the Inn, not apologetic for the mistake. She even asked if i stayed with a Mr. N. McKinnon, I did not which made me believe they charged me for someone else's room. I have never heard of this man. A week went by and I hadn't heard anything and my credit card statement remained the same. I left another message stating my concerns and never heard back. Days later my statement was finally credited. So frustrating. A call back to settle things would have been appreciated!

Spa is very overpriced. I had a hair trial and make-up trial which was over 200 dollars and was not what i wanted. I was rushed out without being able to try a different style. I left unhappy and stressed over my wedding and still had to tip 20%. I feel like gratuities should be left up to the clients discretion. I ended up going to a salon down the street for $50 and loved the results.

Reception is not very helpful, valet is inconsistent and customer service is poor!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank yogagurl23
WIandR, Manager at Woodstock Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the inconvenience with your bill and your experience with the follow up. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention - this is not our standard of service and we would like you to know it be addressed. Our guests feedback is extremely valuable to us and we want to be sure this does not occur again.

The Woodstock Inn & Resort Management Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,251)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Beautiful setting, conveniently located to the village, on the green, near the Billings Farm and the Marsh Billings Rockefeller National Park, the VIN center, Simon Pearce, and various other specialty shops and visual and historic sites including the Saint-Gaudens National Park just across the Connecticut River in New Hampshire.
Hotel valet, reception and the concierge were all top notch and did their jobs very well. The hostess and wait staff in the Richardson's Tavern were pleasant, the clerk in the gift shop was very helpful with information about the products in the shop and with area directions and information.
The room was cozy and very clean, the bed comfortable, the bathroom well appointed with a generous number of towels. The public spaces, beautifully decorated for the fall, were well placed, although other than in the library, they were a bit drafty.
Unfortunately there were some aspects that were not at all pleasant. The bathroom sink burbled at least 4 times an hour. At 6:45AM to about 7AM each morning we were awakened to what sounded like people playing Bocce ball on marble floors. We can only think that it was staff moving dining room furniture around in the Red Rooster in preparation for breakfast.
The new addition to the back of the building obliterated the view of the back gardens for those staying on the back second floor who enjoyed a lovely view of the roof instead. However that would certainly be better than the view of the side street that those across the hall would have.
When the addition & spa were added they didn't put in an indoor pool, which would be useful in Vermont for about 10 months of the year. Should guests want to relax around a pool on a dreary afternoon, they have to trek and schlepp their 'stuff' to a pool at a fitness club a mile down the road to a very public pool that has the coziness factor of an old high school gym. Unless you were fortunate enough to score a time slot with the very expensive spa and spend over a certain amount on your treatment, you will not be able to use the hot tub on site at the hotel.
Breakfast at the hotel: $16.00 per person... so walk down town to the local breakfast eatery and have breakfast for two at less than $16.00! They had better coffee too.
There are plenty of places in New England that offer more for the equivalent price, but if you are looking for overall traditional ambiance, great location and weren't concerned about additional amenities and didn't mind paying for an expensive breakfast, then this would perfect.

Room Tip: Possibly the top floor in the back would be the best. The back in general would be the better side o...
2  Thank Jean091

Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort. We are disappointed to hear your experience was a bit inconsistent. We appreciate the feedback and certainly will look into the sink and other noise issues further. We are happy to know you found your accommodations to be comfortable and our staff to be top notch. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Woodstock Inn is a charming building from the outside, nicely landscaped and with the parking areas hidden from view. It sits opposite from the Village Green in a delightful setting. The check-in process was a disappointment. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, although we were 40 minutes early. We walked around the Village and came back to the Inn at the guaranteed check-in time of 3 P.M., but not only was it not ready for another half hour, the desk staff made no attempt to contact us when it was ready, even though we were sitting in the lobby and they had my cell phone number. While the room was nice, it would have been good value at $250 a night, instead of the $400 a night we paid. We ate one night in the Tavern and the food was average, but expensive. Several times we came up the steps to the Inn from outside and passed the waiting doorman who made no effort to open the door. This is not an Inn that will get any repeat business from us.

2  Thank reallaw46
WIandR, Manager at Woodstock Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

We are disappointed to hear about your recent experience as this is not our standard of service. We appreciate your feedback and will be sharing your review with our staff. Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort and we hope you will re-consider staying with us again.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is my second visit, and I love it every much as much as the first. Of course, it's Fall foliage season in VT, so it would be hard not to like it here! The staff is gracious, the rooms are very comfortable and I love the amenities available. It's also convenient to all of the shops and restaurants. It's pricey, but I still highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort again. We were delighted to welcome you back this Fall and appreciate your gracious review. We will look forward to seeing you for your third visit!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Woodstock Inn is gorgeous! The setting is quintessential Vermont. Our room was big and the beds were comfortable and the bed was appropriately luxurious. What could be the downside of this, right?

For the price of the room I would've expected to not be over the service entrance (room 253). Being woken up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday on a weekend away didn't really sit well with me. Additionally, the hallways are so busy that you constantly heard the comings and goings of all your fellow travelers. There was a small kitchenette in our room, but the older refrigerator hummed so loudly that we thought an alarm clock was going off somewhere. Breakfast came with our package, but it wasn't anything really special. Buffet and an omelet-making station.

Overall, nothing to write home about and I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Do not accept any rooms over the service entrance, which I believe are those in the "50's&q...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CurlyJames

Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort for your recent visit to Vermont. We are certainly disappointed to hear about your experience and the noise issues you encountered during your stay. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we will look into it further. We do hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in a Woodstock Single King and considering what we paid, I was quite disappointed, bog standard decor and the bathroom was miniscule. Had we paid $150/night less with breakfast included, it would have been reasonable value. I found staff on reception professional but characterless and impersonal. Food for both dinner and breakfast was fantastic with friendly, efficient service. Location cannot be beat.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
WIandR, Manager at Woodstock Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort. We are disappointed to hear about portions of your recent stay with us, as what you encountered is not our standard of service. We are, however, happy to hear you did enjoy your meals and location of our Inn within the village. We appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative and will share this with our staff. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

The Woodstock Inn & Resort

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary having been married in the Upper Valley the previous year. We chose the Woodstock Inn & Resort for it's convenient location in downtown Woodstock since we had plans in the area (dinner at Simon Pearce, hiking at Mt. Killington, visit to Long Trail brewery).

We were able to get a room late minute for $250 (after taxes and resort fees) on the website. I'm not sure what the resort fees included given we didn't experience any of the resort amenities like the tennis courts, spa, etc. so that seemed a bit unfair to be charged for that, but I suppose it's standard.

The room was nice. I liked the tiling in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable, nice down (or partial down?) pillows and comforter. There was a couch to sit on with a small coffee table, and desk. A single-cup keurig with coffee, tea and hot chocolate was in the room. It was a bit dark, only one window looking out on the front lawn, but still a nice room.

Front desk staff was very nice and friendly. Seemed like they would be willing to help with anything if asked. We didn't really talk with them much besides checking in and out.

Disappointing room-service food. Wasn't expecting much as we've never had an amazing room-service breakfast, but giving the 4-diamond award we hoped for better. The food arrived on time and was exactly as ordered, the waitstaff that brought the food was friendly. However the food was lukewarm if that. The eggs were quite tasty, but cold. The toast was cold, the breakfast potatoes were cold. Oatmeal was slightly warm and the butter sadly didn't melt into the English muffin as it was too, just room temperature. Jam came with the toast/muffin which was nice, but no ketchup or hot sauce for the eggs/potatoes. Nothing horrible to gripe about, just expected more.

Note, we stayed in the "smallest" room. TVs were not flat screen which I would have expected for such a nice resort. Also, wifi did not work in our room. We tried to connect with our smartphones, but ended up having to user 3G. Didn't report any of this to the desk as we didn't feel it necessary having only been there overnight.

It's a nice resort, but definitely catered to the more upscale clientele that expect certain amenities no matter where they travel. It doesn't have that quaint New England feel. I would recommend staying at a local B&B over this resort, unless you're looking for the spa services, etc.

Happy we tried it out, but won't be back.

Updating my review to include that there was a lack of response after our stay. I called the resort to ask about a charge on my credit card that I didn't recognize. I was transferred from the nice lady that answered to a voicemail for a Sarah in finance/accounting. I left a detailed message, but never received a call back. Although I was able to unravel the charges myself after sitting down with my husband, I have to say I'm quite disappointed in the lack of communication.

4  Thank parker617
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
506 On The River Inn
The Shire Woodstock
#4 of 6 in Woodstock
The Village Inn of Woodstock
Castle Hill Resort And Spa

Been to Woodstock Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!