“Overpriced”

Woodstock Inn and Resort
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Woodstock
Reviewed October 4, 2012

The Woodstock Inn is a charming building from the outside, nicely landscaped and with the parking areas hidden from view. It sits opposite from the Village Green in a delightful setting. The check-in process was a disappointment. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, although we were 40 minutes early. We walked around the Village and came back to the Inn at the guaranteed check-in time of 3 P.M., but not only was it not ready for another half hour, the desk staff made no attempt to contact us when it was ready, even though we were sitting in the lobby and they had my cell phone number. While the room was nice, it would have been good value at $250 a night, instead of the $400 a night we paid. We ate one night in the Tavern and the food was average, but expensive. Several times we came up the steps to the Inn from outside and passed the waiting doorman who made no effort to open the door. This is not an Inn that will get any repeat business from us.

2  Thank reallaw46
WIandR, Manager at Woodstock Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

We are disappointed to hear about your recent experience as this is not our standard of service. We appreciate your feedback and will be sharing your review with our staff. Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort and we hope you will re-consider staying with us again.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is my second visit, and I love it every much as much as the first. Of course, it's Fall foliage season in VT, so it would be hard not to like it here! The staff is gracious, the rooms are very comfortable and I love the amenities available. It's also convenient to all of the shops and restaurants. It's pricey, but I still highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort again. We were delighted to welcome you back this Fall and appreciate your gracious review. We will look forward to seeing you for your third visit!

Reviewed October 2, 2012

The Woodstock Inn is gorgeous! The setting is quintessential Vermont. Our room was big and the beds were comfortable and the bed was appropriately luxurious. What could be the downside of this, right?

For the price of the room I would've expected to not be over the service entrance (room 253). Being woken up at 6 a.m. on a Saturday on a weekend away didn't really sit well with me. Additionally, the hallways are so busy that you constantly heard the comings and goings of all your fellow travelers. There was a small kitchenette in our room, but the older refrigerator hummed so loudly that we thought an alarm clock was going off somewhere. Breakfast came with our package, but it wasn't anything really special. Buffet and an omelet-making station.

Overall, nothing to write home about and I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Do not accept any rooms over the service entrance, which I believe are those in the "50's&q...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank CurlyJames

Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort for your recent visit to Vermont. We are certainly disappointed to hear about your experience and the noise issues you encountered during your stay. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we will look into it further. We do hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed in a Woodstock Single King and considering what we paid, I was quite disappointed, bog standard decor and the bathroom was miniscule. Had we paid $150/night less with breakfast included, it would have been reasonable value. I found staff on reception professional but characterless and impersonal. Food for both dinner and breakfast was fantastic with friendly, efficient service. Location cannot be beat.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
WIandR, Manager at Woodstock Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort. We are disappointed to hear about portions of your recent stay with us, as what you encountered is not our standard of service. We are, however, happy to hear you did enjoy your meals and location of our Inn within the village. We appreciate the feedback, both positive and negative and will share this with our staff. We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary having been married in the Upper Valley the previous year. We chose the Woodstock Inn & Resort for it's convenient location in downtown Woodstock since we had plans in the area (dinner at Simon Pearce, hiking at Mt. Killington, visit to Long Trail brewery).

We were able to get a room late minute for $250 (after taxes and resort fees) on the website. I'm not sure what the resort fees included given we didn't experience any of the resort amenities like the tennis courts, spa, etc. so that seemed a bit unfair to be charged for that, but I suppose it's standard.

The room was nice. I liked the tiling in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable, nice down (or partial down?) pillows and comforter. There was a couch to sit on with a small coffee table, and desk. A single-cup keurig with coffee, tea and hot chocolate was in the room. It was a bit dark, only one window looking out on the front lawn, but still a nice room.

Front desk staff was very nice and friendly. Seemed like they would be willing to help with anything if asked. We didn't really talk with them much besides checking in and out.

Disappointing room-service food. Wasn't expecting much as we've never had an amazing room-service breakfast, but giving the 4-diamond award we hoped for better. The food arrived on time and was exactly as ordered, the waitstaff that brought the food was friendly. However the food was lukewarm if that. The eggs were quite tasty, but cold. The toast was cold, the breakfast potatoes were cold. Oatmeal was slightly warm and the butter sadly didn't melt into the English muffin as it was too, just room temperature. Jam came with the toast/muffin which was nice, but no ketchup or hot sauce for the eggs/potatoes. Nothing horrible to gripe about, just expected more.

Note, we stayed in the "smallest" room. TVs were not flat screen which I would have expected for such a nice resort. Also, wifi did not work in our room. We tried to connect with our smartphones, but ended up having to user 3G. Didn't report any of this to the desk as we didn't feel it necessary having only been there overnight.

It's a nice resort, but definitely catered to the more upscale clientele that expect certain amenities no matter where they travel. It doesn't have that quaint New England feel. I would recommend staying at a local B&B over this resort, unless you're looking for the spa services, etc.

Happy we tried it out, but won't be back.

Updating my review to include that there was a lack of response after our stay. I called the resort to ask about a charge on my credit card that I didn't recognize. I was transferred from the nice lady that answered to a voicemail for a Sarah in finance/accounting. I left a detailed message, but never received a call back. Although I was able to unravel the charges myself after sitting down with my husband, I have to say I'm quite disappointed in the lack of communication.

4  Thank parker617
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Room: stayed in a standard king room in the main building, received a special pricing with Amex promotion, room was under 300/night.
Everything SUPER clean! Bathroom was small but spotless. Housekeeping does a nice job. Bed and bedsheets were very comfortable.
Staff: polite and professional
Plenty of free parking and you can't beat the location in town. You can walk everywhere!!!
Restaurants: The food at tavern was ok. The sweet potato and apple soup was delicious.
The food at Red Rooster was great. Duck and sea bass were yummy!

We did have a concern with temperature in room and staff immediately addressed it. Next time we would request a room with fireplace so we would have more control over heat.

Overall we had a lovely stay and would return!

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for choosing The Woodstock Inn & Resort. We were delighted to have you stay with us and we're happy to know you enjoyed Classic Comfort. We appreciate your detailed review and will certainly look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'm very late in reviewing this resort which is no reflection of the hotel at all.

I went last January with my boyfriend, his 8 year old son, my parents, my brother and sister in law, my boyfriend's mother and his grandfather. We all booked together and were put on the same floor as each other which was very convenient.

Our rooms were soooo comfortable. The bed was huge and pillow top and pretty amazing. The bathrooms were very luxurious with only one problem with a leaky shower stall...which makes for a very slippery marble floor!

We spent two nights there and ate at the hotel restaurant and the hotel bar...food was pretty good and no one left hungry. We spent Saturday in another town over from Woodstock and went for lunch and beers at the Harpoon brewery....I can't describe how great everything was there. My family loves Harpoon beers anyway, this was a special treat for all of us. We all spent some time walking around Woodstock and checking things out-the town is very quaint and friendly...the only problem was the weather which was FREEZING!!! Nothing can be done about that anyway, it was January after all.

The one negative I had about Woodstock Inn was that the gym and indoor pool house were pretty far away from the Inn. My dad and I originally had plans to walk down to the gym and pool to meet up with people there and just look around...good thing we decided to drive because of the cold-it would have been quite a long walk. I can understand why it is so far away, since the Inn itself is not only historical but in a historic part of town, there just was no logistical way of adding on to the Inn for these amenities. I did really like how they opened the facilities (pool and gym) to the public. I think its nice that they share those with everyone in the town (with a membership)...nice way to endear themselves to the public I think.

All in all, we loved the place. Definitely will be back again next January as this will become a holiday tradition for us going forward!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kristen52579
WIandR, Manager at Woodstock Inn and Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us last January. We are delighted to hear that you and your family had a wonderful getaway and that you will be making a visit to The Woodstock Inn & Resort a tradition. We look forward to welcoming you back this winter!

The Woodstock Inn & Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
506 On The River Inn
The Shire Woodstock
The Shire Woodstock
#4 of 6 in Woodstock
Castle Hill Resort And Spa

Been to Woodstock Inn and Resort? Share your experiences!