“Breakfast needs improvement”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Benahavis
Germany
“Breakfast needs improvement”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

We have stayed at Villa Padierna for the 4th time now.
So it is obvious that we like the hotel very much. the rooms are great, the pool area and the rest of the hotel is simply beautiful. It is very nice for golfers as you have 3 very good golf courses right at the hotel. It is also just a short drive to Marbella and Puerto Banus.
During our stay in October 2010 we noticed a lack of service in some areas. Maybe this was due to the transition from Ritz Cartlon to the new management.
When we came back now in April the service had clearly improved. The staff is very friendly and attentive most of the time.
The only thing we really did not enjoy is the 'new' breakfast. While until last year they offered a nice buffet in the beautiful restaurant (I think it is called La Veranda), they now changed it to an a la carte in the other restaruant (La Loggia). First of all the other restaurant was much nicer but most of all we clearly preferred to ba able to get most of the food from the buffet, instead of ordering everything a la carte. Now they do have some bread, fruits and yoghurt on a small buffet and everything else needs to be ordered. We do not like that and furthermore it is very time consuming if you need to order a slice of ham instead of simply getting it on the buffet.
I really like the place but hope they improve the breakfast. otherwise we will consider other hotels in the area for our next trip to Spain.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sabine123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for the first time and could definitely go back. The hotel is very romantic (which is not totally my style but it didn't matter). Even the normal rooms are large with a nice balcony and they were also very clean. The double bed was huge with amazing sheets; together with very silent airconditioning and thick walls it allowed me to sleep good. A couple of times I could hear something from the corridor but it didn't matter since the hotel doesn't really have that much night life so it wasn't that late. I think there was only one restaurant at the hotel which is a minor weakness. The breakfast was very Spanish (=not that generous) and so was the service. So I wouldn't say the service meets an international 5 star hotel standards though it didn't bother us much since we knew to expect that in Spain.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sini00
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Long trip from Toronto to Paris and than Malaga and than 45 minutes drive to the hotel, although never the less it worth all of it. This place is magic, everyone was up to par with the service. Very clean and beautifull. It was my wife 50th birthday and the dinner they prepare for us was just unbelievable. At this time it is low season, but they make everything so easy. In no time they got us a car so we can visit the surrounding including a day in Gibraltar. Golf courses are magnificient. Rooms are more than elegant and view from our balcony WOW. They got flowers and champagne ready at teh arrival for us to celebrate. We will definitely be back, hospitality like this make you feel at home. Congratulation for all and keep up the good work. Gilles & Elizabeth, Ontario, Canada

Room Tip: Rest and relax, rent a car to visit & enjoy
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank g0lf13d
Derry
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I booked this hotel not knowing what to expect but to my delight it was "Perfect" in so many ways.We stayed seven nights and look forward to coming back as soon as my bank manager allows.
I had some difficulty with noise but the manager moved us to a quieter part of the hotel and all was well!
This hotel is not in the town and you will need a car. I played golf everyday with my boys and my wife lay at the pool hapilly the perfect 50th really!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We have just spent the Christmas holiday at the beautiful Villa Padierna and cannot wait to return! When we booked (well before the Obama´s visit), it was a Ritz Carlton and we felt assured that there would be a certain level of comfort. When the ownership shifted, we were concerned, but it was too late to rearrange our plans, so we arrived with a certain amount of skepticism and hoped for the best.

What we found greatly exceeded our expectations, even for a RC. The property is just magnificant, and extremely well maintained, even in their off season. The hotel is well staffed and runs quite efficiently, the villa we were upgraded to is very well laid out and spacious, the grounds are extensive and festooned with sculpture, art and water features. The golf courses, even for those who do not play, are impressive and make for a gorgeous setting. There are fascinating day trips available - we managed to visit Ronda and Grenada and still had plenty of time to relax over a five night stay. I would highly recommend both excursions... If you choose to stay at the hotel, the spa is absolutely stunning and provides the best thermae spa circuit I have seen in the Mediterranean.

The greatest asset the Villa Padierna has, though, is its staff. They are largely from the immediate area, very proud of their corner of Spain and very concerned with their guest´s happiness and comfort. As one lovely gentleman said, ¨If it is possible, we will do it!¨ And they do. No request or concern is met with anything other than immediate attention and care. Even dietary restrictions are dealt with carefully and artistically - gluten free croissants each morning, for example. The food overall is local, very fresh and imaginative without being too avant garde. The staff is discrete, as well, meeting each guest with the degree of energy and enthusiasm suitable for that particular person. It is quite fascinating to watch them deal with a variety of people.

I would not let the previous reviews deter you if you are looking for a quiet, but interesting and luxurious getaway. No hotel is perfect, so my feeling is that what makes a great experience is the attitude, earnestness and flexibility of the organization and their representatives. The Villa Padierna embodies, to me, the true sense of hospitality.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We had dined in the hotel on a number of previous occasions which was always excellent. As a special treat our children booked us in for a long weekend. It was just fantastic. Great staff in the restaurant, spa ,who were extremly helpfull and reception, in particular the porters who just could'nt do enough. Breakfast was amazing with champagne/ bucks fizz available without extra charge to complement the food.

The only let down over the 3 days was the very poor pool service and bar service on the terrace. It took for ever to get service, which was then slow, without a smile and very very expensive. We opted for an ice bucket and a bottle of Gin from a local supermarket!!! Be prepared to pay daily parking fee of €11, up in the hills!!!!
It was also hard to get any sun around the pool before 12 noon because of the orientation of the pool and the beautiful trees / shrubs surrounding it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed November 8, 2010

First of all I would like to thank the reception for helping make our stay very enjoyable. I can understand maybe some comments below, however it is out of season now and to be honest I would not expect the outdoor swimming pool to be warm, I did manage to make it down to breakfast in the mornings however I only had coffee, looking at the breakfast on other tables, yes I maybe can understand some peoples comments.

Reception
Very friendly, experienced and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable.

Bar & outdoor terrace
Lovely views, spacious seating areas and areas that was shaded. Excellent views out.

Rooms
Unbelievably big, huge bathrooms and clean. Tv yes, the old shape but hey what are you doing watching tv when you’re out there on holiday. There was a music system in the room that we had on anyway.

Gardens and surrounding area
Gardens and the golf courses looked very nice from the drive in and overall being kept in nice condition. I did go in August for a meal and the gardens were immaculate then, however understandably that was in peak season and everyone was using all the facilities. Still even out of season it still looked lovely.

Spa
Only looked in the Spa area however from first impressions looked very nice and the staff at reception was helpful when we looked around.

Golf
Played only on one of the courses and very much enjoyed the experience. I play off 12 handicap and some of the holes on the course at the back of the hotel were very challenging, there was a food/drink buggy coming around at regular intervals. I would not recommend walking the course get a buggy. Staff in the shop was helpful, they did forget to change our booking however it was resolved very quickly.

Overall our experience was very nice, maybe as being in a bigger party we might of missed the smaller issues that you notice when there is only 2 of you and I can understand the comments, but I feel we were looked after very well and I would recommend the hotel for its location, rooms, settings and the fact they went out of their way to make sure we had a fantastic time.

• Stayed November 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benahavis
Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa Marbella
Senator Banus Spa Hotel
Senator Banus Spa Hotel
#6 of 35 in Estepona
Marriott's Playa Andaluza

Been to Villa Padierna Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!