“Wonderful food - lovely hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Gallego - CLOSED

El Gallego
Cuisines: Spanish, International
Alora, Spain
“Wonderful food - lovely hosts”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I have already written a review about this restaurant weeks ago i find it really annoying when you don't bother to print it and don't even give a reason for not printing it !
I live in Alora and have visited the restaurant many times because it is so good -NOT because I am associated with them in ANY way.
I don't think, this should mean that my review has no value

Visited January 2013

alora
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best bar in town”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Anna and Ramon are not only the best cooks in Alora, but also the friendliest and most congenial hosts. I wish that they were still located up in the town centre (where I live), but their new bar in the Barriada el Puente offers more space, a bigger and better kitchen and a fantastic sunny outdoor terrace. The food is always outstanding and the drinks are always reasonably priced.... what more could you ask for? Another bonus is the best pool table in town.

• Visited January 2013
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Very welcoming”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We've visited friends in the lovely town of Alora before, but this was the first time we had been to El Gallego. The owner's Ana and Ramon we're very welcoming towards me, partner & 18 month toddler. The food was excellent. All was very well priced with nice sized portions. Drinks were well priced as well. The new bar is lovely with nice decor and a nice range of different people and languages around the place. Would highly recommend and can't wait to visit again.

• Visited November 2012
Malaga, Spain
“A real treat”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Oh Joy! Good food and something a bit 'different' to the usual local fare without having to travel to the city. We have been regular customers for a while and have always thought Anna to be one of the best cooks in the area. She and Ramon are lovely hosts and have recently moved to their new large and comfortable premises in the Barriada. She is a really inventive cook and always coming up with new ideas. She will do almost anything to order, including excellent vegetarian choices. We are keen fans of her Curries, which are mostly recipes from her native Mauritius. If you ever thought a Biryani was a run of the mill dish you should try Anna's delicately spiced and multi-flavoured Mauritian Biryani - quite different and ten times as good. If your taste buds are getting bored, just give them a treat and go.

• Visited January 2013
cornwall
“One of the finest curries I have ever tasted”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was the second time I had visited Alora and on both occasions I have had the pleasure of eating at El Gallego. Last year whilst the food was outstanding the restaurant itself had limited seating and I am so pleased that Anna and Ramon, the delightful owners, have decided to move to this much more suitable venue. Bright and roomy with a terrace at the front and a private room (which would be perfect for special occasions or parties) towards the rear.

The curry that Anna had prepared for me was one of the finest I have ever eaten, on a par with the excellent Prashad in Bradford. Anna really is an excellent chef and told me when I congratulated her on such quality that she cooks everything fresh and doesn't like microwaves,bless her. She also said that she would cook any meal to order at the request of the customer therefore creating a bespoke menu which would be particularly suitable if booked in advance for a special occasion. However in my view every meal taken at El Gallego is a special occasion. It really is that good.

• Visited November 2012