“Hidden charms”
Review of Hotel Princess

Hotel Princess
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Bar
Reviewed June 11, 2012

On arrival, I faced a square concrete monster... the charm of this hotel did not appeal immediately to me. OK, the location right on the sea promenade and the views are great. So are the outdoor pool and the restaurant terrace, the outdoor pool is a good point as there are no real beaches in Bar. The rooms are large and very well refurbished, the area is quiet at night, but the best is the stunning lobby and lounge: it looks like a film set for a Kaurismäki movie, very classy and classical ! 5 stars for the architect.

Room Tip: Sea view of course
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank riehen

Reviewed June 2, 2012

From the previous reviews we did not have high expectations of the hotel - but were pleasantly surprised. Staff were all very helpful. Position is fantastic - we had a side view of the mountains/sports complex/sea - there was always something to watch, but it was never noisy. Hotel is a 4* which is warranted apart from dinner. Breakfast was fine - but the choices at dinner were poor. There was an outdoor and indoor swimming pool, plus massage facilities - but these did not appear to be operational. Bar is not a tourist destination - we were based there mainly because our tour included a day trip to Albania - not far on the map - but took 4.5 hours each way due to road conditions and slow border crossings.

Bar is a small town - suitable as a base for the area, but not much more. We spent a pleasant day exploring - but were lucky as it was a bank holiday, plus there was a rowing competition in the bay. Otherwise it would have been rather tame.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms or rooms on the north side would have best views and were quiet. Rooms at the front...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nortons21
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I found the hotel by chance driving around looking for any hotel. I consider to have been lucky since I actually found it quite nice. Travelling during low season I was told that there were only seven other guests (Russians) staying in the hotel, which has more than one hundred rooms. The lobby area is huge, the hotel design kind of cool with every floor visible from the lobby area. The room was absolutely up to standard, no remarks. The spa with the sauna area was excellent (I found the Russians there), in fact very modern with cool rain-forest showers, Turkish bath, Roman bath and Finnish sauna. Instead of water in the sauna bucket you could fill it with ice/snow-crush from a ice/snow machine. Cool! :-) Dinner was fine, very classy tables and a nicely dressed waiter. Nothing wrong with the food either. The reception lady claimed that the hotel was the very best in Bar. Well, maybe. Next morning, at check-out, I was asked what I was doing in Montenegro. I guess, vacation in mid-winter and low temperatures is not standard-travel. I didn't check out the beach. :-) The only drawback, in my opinion, is the fairly high price. In low season it's fair, but the price-list for high season was double that.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank berrahugo
Reviewed January 18, 2012

With lack of customer service and poor staff, overpriced, hotel is at a good location. Just couple of meters from hotel is a beach (lousy, by the way).
Rooms are clean, buffet breakfast. Nice outside pool, and at evening there is a music band with not so good repertory.
They charge internet in hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank MissionManPg
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The staff was your typical Montenegrin type of staff meaning lacking in customer service. The hotel had a good location but for the price I felt it was not up to par.

And than there was the dead dog on the street....the staff told us (the local government) puts poison out to kill all the street animals and to be careful with our 2 year old daughter as the poison is highly toxic to people as well! Until Montenegro EVOLVES we are not coming back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Anna D
Reviewed August 20, 2011

One would expect a better service for 186EUR (double room). "Better" as in:

- Displaying price information in English at the reception (it was in their language only)
- Mentioning the price is per person when asked for the room rate (when I requested the price, I was given the rate for person, despite the fact my girlfriend was with me)
- Giving more than 1 piece of soap and 1 little bottle of shampoo in double room (we only got 1 of each)
- A clean toilet (the toilet in our room had a hygiene band around it, but was actually plain dirty)
- Real coffee and juice for breakfast
- Filling up the mini-bar (it was half empty when we checked in the room)

Concerning the latter, I was asked whether I had consumed anything from the mini bar when checking-out. I, nor my girlfriend, hadn't. When leaving the hotel we were stopped by the door man and escorted back to the reception where we were told we did consume from the mini bar: 4 small bottles of mineral water. In front of a pretty full lobby I was being accused of having lied about this. The receptionist then told me to go upstairs and sort it out with the room maid. I needed to accompany her in our room while she was going through all the trash bins in order for me to witness her finding the missing bottles. As we hadn't consumed anything, this didn't happen. Back in the lobby, the receptionist let us go on the verdict of reasonable doubt. This ruined the rest of our trip in Montenegro.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TimLRG
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I was there in the first days of August. This is a very nice hotel located near to the port and the beach promenade of the town. Nice clean spacius rooms, all with a/c and big bathrooms.
Nice breakfast and meals buffet. Very polite stuff, helps you in everything
There is also a equipped gym and indoor and outdoor pools.
You can also have a grat time at the evening with the caffe and live music restaurants just beside the hotel. The town center is in walking distance (about 5 min)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank gpec
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bar
Sato Hotel
#2 of 11 in Ulcinj
Wind Rose Resort by Karisma
Wind Rose Resort by Karisma
#3 of 3 in Dobra Voda

Been to Hotel Princess? Share your experiences!