“A great small hotel out of the beaten track”
Review of Contele Vladimir

Contele Vladimir
Ranked #12 of 89 Bran B&B and Inns
Marathon, Greece
“A great small hotel out of the beaten track”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

This small hotel in Bran is a gem. After visiting the Castle of Bran and walking around the small town, there is no better place than Contele Vladimir to relax and enjoy the landscape. You can even view the Castle, albeit from a distance. The rooms are good, the food above average, and the people are really nice. Language is not a problem. The only thing is to be careful where to turn off the main road. Get the instructions from the hotel and follow them.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Majorca, Spain
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Website looks nice, prices looks good, so we book a double room over the phone. After arriving in Bran by bus from Brasov, we find the road to be a 800m trek up a 10-15% gradient, taking over 20 minutes in 25 degree heat with backpacks. Not one for the faint-hearted, especially as many local houses dot the route, with animals and guard dogs ready to bark at slight noises.

We weren't greeted at reception, until a maid walked by and called after what we presume was the owner (or owner's son) and wife/sister, as they had no formal attire. When enquiring about the best route back down to Bran, he shrugged his shoulders and said 'Taxi'.

Was led to the room by the maid, only to find that the double we had booked was actually a twin. We couldn't change rooms, the hotel was 'apparently' full, however we saw no other patrons during our stay. There was no air conditioning in the room, and the view is essentially of a hill, unless you tilt your head upwards and to the right, where you can see a bit of snow topped mountain. There were no bath robes either, despite this being a 4*. The bathroom had an odd toilet that was closer to the floor than any other I have used, and only one toilet roll available. When using the shower, it was essentially broken - the selector switch (between the two types of head) leaked, so neither of the heads could get full pressure. The plug at the bottom could not drain the water fast enough, and the door was badly sealed against water which lead to a LARGE puddle forming on the floor. After requesting it to be fixed, it sort of was fixed (with a disgruntled owner who sounded like we were disturbing him) while we were out - the selector didn't leak as bad (the attitude seemed to be 'well, it works...'), but the floor still flooded and the towels we used to clean up the original leak were not replaced.

The batteries in the remote control were dead on arrival, and the clock in the room did not even display the right time. A lot of the facilities (such as the pool table) are an extra charge on top of whatever you pay for the room. As my partner stated - 'we booked a 4* so we wouldn't have these problems, and maybe a few extras such as free use of a gym, or a seating area outside with view of the mountains - something more than a 2* or a 3*'. Seems to me that Contele Vladimir gave itself an extra couple of stars, or bribed an official.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank b1candy
Sun Valley california
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I could not have chosen a best place to stay. Beautiful rooms, elegant decor, romantic views, great hospitality. All we have are beautiful memories. Thank you! Will definately recomend to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MariEli818
NorthEast England
Reviewed March 19, 2011

There is a fair bit of choice in Bran and when you search it’s mainly guesthouses, but this hotel is a hidden gem. The hotel is only 2 years old and the owners could not have been more helpful and friendly, the hotel is immaculate the room was large and airy, with a balcony which had magnificent views, the bathroom was beautiful, we had booked a room with a Jacuzzi bath which was huge and had lights in which changed colour, the toiletries were of a good quality too. My only complaint was the hardness of the bed but my Partners was in heaven as he prefers it that way. Breakfast is served till 11 am and there was plenty for choice, for the hot food no two days were the same, and the home made pastries and muffins were delicious. The Restaurant is open all day and we ate in it each night, there is lots of choice and its more than plentiful, the food was delicious and you can tell everything was freshly cooked with fresh produce. It was my birthday when we were there and the owners and staff came out with a slice of cake with a candle in and sang happy birthday which was wonderful! The owners and staff are very friendly and will help you with anything you need. I would highly recommend this hotel and give it 10 out of 10.
From Bucharest we got the train to Brasov is takes 3 hours but its clean, comfortable and there is some beautiful scenery, the taxi driver didn’t really know where he was going so I was glad of the instructions that came with the hotel reservation, it’s then about 35 minutes then to Bran. There are some comments about the road on here but you have to remember your in Romania and the side roads are not look after like our roads. It is a fair walk but to be honest the taxi’s are so cheap if you didn’t or couldn’t do the walk then just use the taxi which sit outside the Castle. It’s a beautiful place and it wasn’t as cold as I had expected in February (but we do like to go out of season). Thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LindanAlun
l.a california
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The best holly-day we spend in Romania was at this Hotel, with excellent food meeting our expectations. The rooms are spacious and clean. Amassing view of Carpathian mountains especially in the winter time when are covered by a coat of snow.
We taste the best " Papanaschi " ever.
The vacation at " Contele Vladimir " was worth every penny we spend.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2010

I had journeyed up by train, from Bucharests main Gare Nord train station, via Sinaia, up to Brasov, then onwards by road to the town of Bran, to mainly pay a visit to the Bran castle, commonly known as 'Count Draculas castle'.
I took the fast train option, which was the InterCity (IC) service which took 3 hours and did not make too many stops on route up to Transylvania. The train was of a good and comfortable standard.
I arrived late on in the evening and found the hotel was located fairly high up on the hillside and over-looked Draculas castle, illuminated down in the valley below ! which was a pretty neat view, especially in run up to Halloween !
Travelling the Highway, from the direction of Brasov, I found the hotel by taking a left turn, just Before crossing the bridge, a short distance from the castle.
From here its uphill, and you could not miss the hotel, its not overly far up.
Anyways, I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of this property. It was without any doubt one of the Best value stays I have had to date, on my varied travels.
My room was comfortable, stylish and very clean, as was my ensuite facility. I also observed that the hotel was warm, and in more ways than one.
The staff were pleasant, friendly folk. A cheerfull enough welcome and goodbye.
Rooms have a door leading directly to the ouside, which was another nice feature, I noted.
From my room, I walked straight into the living room area which was also pretty neat.
Big fireplace, bar area, comfortable sofas, tastefull decoration,.....appropriately nice.
I also enjoyed the breakfast, it was adequate enough, tasty and good value too.
There was a billiards room though I did not bother going there. I believe its just as nicely decorated too.
I hit great 'blue skies' weather during my stay and this no doubt, added to the experience overall. Great views also of the mountains and Bran in the distance.
Checking in and out was swift and I must admitt, I definately feel that I could not have stayed in a better place.
It complimented my visit to the Draculas castle, extremely well. Like many properties, I suppose I did not 'Count' on it, being as good as it appeared, and therefore I was very pleased with it.
Definately, fit for a King or Queen ! and very far removed, from being a Horrorable experience !!

Ritchey

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank ritchey
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I think this was the best hotel we stayed at in Romania and from what we saw, it was definitely the nicest one around. It is true that it is a bit hard to get too and if you're driving you should use the ramp for 4x4. The rooms are nicely decorated, but the bed was a bit hard so make sure to use the extra blanket as a mattress pad. The castle is located within walking distance (unfortunately I didn't time it, but there is no way it was 1 hr like the other reviewer suggested, it was probably ~30min). We decided to eat at the hotel's restaurant since we none of the restaurants/terraces looked appealing. The staff was friendly friendly, the food was very goof and we were impressed with their house wine. They also had a very good selection for breakfast, with more cooked items than most places we stayed at and everything was replenished fast. If you're spending the night in Bran, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bran
Hotel Transylvania
#4 of 89 in Bran
Vila Predelut
Vila Predelut
#7 of 89 in Bran

Been to Contele Vladimir? Share your experiences!