“price/quality= robbery”

Gradina Morii Hotel
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for one night only as we had to stop somewhere to sleep. I would have stayed longer in the area but this hotel made me change my mind. We asked for a three beds room but they said that they can offer us a suite - a matrimonial bed and a third bed (they do not introduce a 3rd bed in the double rooms)...After I saw the room I understood why . We took it because we had no other way as we were very tired and wanted to sleep. In other circumstances, I wouldn't have taken it....very high price for what they have offered us...that? a suite??..no way!! - it was a very small room with a separate little room for the 3rd bed..not separate entrances, just a wall without door between these 2 "rooms"; the bathroom was small and the towels gray and quite old...the room was clean and ok...the breakfast was basic continental..absolutely nothing special..except the music, as my husband noticed - the only nice thing in that hotel....So don't expect too much from this hotel but high prices and good music at breakfast....It's a basic old 3* hotel with a 4*+ prices....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Marmatia is a poor, but acceptable hotel in a town with few alternatives. Rooms are very small, with little space to maneuver. The restaurant seems to cater to groups of locals staging loud parties, ignoring my requests for service while whisking drinks to the party-goers. If you don't smoke, you will suffer, as there is no non-smoking section in the hotel restaurant. One day, my room was not cleaned, nor were any others on my floor, by 4pm. When I confronted the duty manager with the situation, he was less than cooperative and kept pointing out how much experience he had in hotels in Ireland, which was totally irrelevant. In order to avoid the smokers (very heavy smokers) and poor service in the restaurant, I had dinner in my room one evening, and found the food to be very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I found the rooms adequate, though the bathroom shower needed updating. I explained this to the desk person and she searched for a room with a glass enclosure. Since those were on the third floor I opted for the lower floor and the shower curtain.
My meals at the hotel were good and the service was professional. The first breakfast was from the menu though the second and third were buffet.
This hotel is well located to explore the villages and towns of the region. The park like surrounding are nice but they need repair. While I was there some work was being done on the grounds and I was told more was planned.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This Bavarian style hunting lodge has all you need to relax & prepare to explore the wonders of magical Maramures. Cosy rooms (we stayed in a superior room on 3rd floor), friendly staff, and a location that's a great intro to the area. You can cross the rope-bridge at the end of the gardens to explore the mountains behind, and there meet the locals who live and dress much the same as they probably did 200 years ago. Food is mittel-European, meat and veg, along with steaks and fish, and is hearty fare. Plenty of choice with great Romanian wine at rock bottom prices (for Western Europeans).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Even though it seems that everyone in Romania smokes, we found non-smoking rooms and public areas in all other hotels we stayed in. We expected a great experience here, but this hotel is for smokers only. We walked into a lobby full of smoke and smokers, as was the bar and the hallways and the breakfast room. Our room (requested non-smoking) seemed to be the only place in the hotel that did not reek of smoke. It was a nice room, smallish, but with a balcony overlooking the river and a very pretty garden. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. The location was in lovely grounds.
We had dinner in the restaurant. Our strategy was to eat outside to avoid smoky restaurants, but we couldn’t eat outside because it was raining, so we had to duck around the smokers as best we could. The food and service in the restaurant were good, but we didn’t linger as the air quality was so bad. Our clothes reeked of smoke after the dinner. If you don’t mind the smell of smoke you will probably like this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abdtNewYork_NY
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed a couple of days and we really enjoyed ourselves. It was quiet, next to a reservation/park and diner was very good. I recommend the 'pineapple flambe', pineapple is my favorite fruit so the desert did it for me.
Rooms are not too big but comfortable and quiet.

Room Tip: Second floor is good because of the view either of the park on the front or the reservation on the b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2013

A review earlier describing the hotel as imposing from the exterior but lacking inside is completely accurate, with one omission: sewer gas wafts through the halls and in the room (we were in 304). This is a basic hotel, generous at two stars, but certainly not deserving of the four star rating it has. There was no soap in the room other than a dispenser attached to the wall, maid service is indifferent and the breakfast, while OK, is certainly nothing special. The setting is attractive, but if this is the best in the village, you might elect a day trip and stay elsewhere. You should not miss the Merry Cemetery! Dinner in the restaurant is the same quality as breakfast

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Cavnic
No photo provided
Pensiunea Doli
#3 of 4 in Sighetu Marmatiei

Been to Gradina Morii Hotel? Share your experiences!