“"Average at best"”

Okra's Cajun Creole
Ranked #3 of 305 Restaurants in Manassas
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: As a popular gathering place for locals and area visitors, Okra's guests can be found nightly enjoying happy hour specials, chatting around the bar or dining on authentic Cajun and Creole cuisine. At Okra's you are sure to find a restaurant rich in local history and alive with color, flavor and some of the best food in Manassas.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I had a chance to visit this local eatery last night. Whenever possible we like to support local businesses. Upon review of the menu, I found the drinks, and food to be priced a bit high for being in the deep suburbs. Once the food arrived which in my case was a oyster po boy, it didn't stand up to the price point. The oysters were not freshly cooked. We also had the crab and corn soup which was thick enough to stand a spoon straight up in the bowl. We sent it back.

The restaurant has a nice vibe but the food is average.

There are newer reviews for Okra's Cajun Creole

Reviewed July 5, 2013

It was a hot & sticky afternoon when we found Okra's - I was already imagining that I was back down in the bayou country outside New Orleans. We passed on the ample outdoor sidewalk seating to soak up as much air conditioning as we could. The bistro's interior is nicely appointed, with jazzy-hipster-New Orleans-inspired artwork adorning the dining room and even Mardi Gras beads serving as napkin & silverware wraps.

We started with cups of gumbo - it comes in traditional and seafood versions. Both were hearty, chock full of ingredients, and tasty. An homage to their namesake, golden fried okra was light and done just right and perfectly accompanied by Okra's version of creamy Dixie Sauce.

The Port Orleans salad consisted of tender baby spinach tossed with crumbled bleu cheese, chopped dates, shaved red onion and candied pecans with a sprinkle of Okra's tasty citrus balsamic vinaigrette. We piled on grilled shrimp - a perfect topper. The Cajun Chopped Salad featured a medley of fresh chopped greens, sliced peppers, pecans, tomatoes, and our warm Creole vinaigrette. Okra's half-pound Bayou Burger was topped with tasso ham, tobacco onions and melted cheddar cheese. It was more than one could handle on a hot afternoon with no prospects of time for a nap. Of course, an Abita Turbo Dog authenticated it all. Okra's nitrogen-pressured tap system delivers some of the best beer on tap.

We'll definitely be back - can't wait to dive into some po' boys, nawlins fare, and Okra's signature dishes!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Having dined at Okra's before, my husband and I went here to celebrate my first Mother's Day. What a mistake. Our waitress smelled of cigarettes to the point where it was hard to even look her way when she visited the table (but her visits to the table were rather infrequent anyway). She stumbled around and we basically had to walk her through the process of taking our drink order as well as the meal. It took her roughly 15 minutes to get our drinks and nearly 30 minutes in we were still waiting for our deep-fried appetizer. I've never received such poor service anywhere else. It was truly remarkable. Perhaps Okra's trains their servers on how to be useless. Afterwards, I decided to write a letter to the owner explaining my frustration with Okra's and how I was very upset that my very first Mother's Day was essentially ruined by his staff and I have yet to receive a response. Perhaps the owner is as slow as his staff, or he simply ignores patrons. Although I like the food at Okra's I will never go there again after that experience.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stopped for lunch at this New Orleans style place and they did have many choices of that style. A large tasty fried oyster po boy was $10 while a cup of spicy seafood gumbo was about $5. Tasty lunch was very satisfying.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Food is decent but on salty side. Best Banana's Fosters in Northern Va. Kids love the beads for napkin holders. Would get 5 stars if wait staff knew what it meant to dress a sandwich or ... poboys instead of sandwiches on the menu. No crawfish/shrimp/oyster poboys only fried catfish sandwich for a cajun restaurant. French bread was not good. Wife's crawfish etoufee was a little salty to both of us..Oh yeah, only 1 Saints jersey in the restaurant. Jersey #9 with no name on it.. Come on.. Drew Brees is Breesus in Louisiana.