“Good, but side dishes need improvement”

The All American Steakhouse and Sports Theater
Ranked #46 of 301 Restaurants in Manassas
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Dumfries, Virginia, United States
“Good, but side dishes need improvement”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went to the Steakhouse on New year's Day afternoon and didn't expect it to be busy. There were a few people in the booths and a few more at the bar. I liked all the big screen televisions around the bar and they had almost every sport represented. It was a little dark inside, but not too bad. Music was also blasting from speakers.

We ordered a draft beer and a glass of wine from the bar and got a little break on the price because it was happy hour. Both glasses were generously filled.

The Spinach, Parmesan & Artichoke Dip appetizer was very good and was served with a variety of different colored tortilla chips. We also were served warm fresh baked rolls with butter, also very good.

We both ordered the dinner special, which was a choice of fish, chicken or sirloin steak with two sides for $10. Both of us ordered the sirloin, which was cooked exactly how we liked it and was delicious. The portion seemed small, but was really just enough with the sides.

Now to the sides we ordered. The mushrooms were small, but were cooked well and loaded with garlic. We both liked them. I ordered the Bacon and Potatoes Au Gratin, which was overloaded with butter and way too many strips of under-cooked bacon. I wouldn't order it again. My companion ordered a baked potato with the works, which was a safe and good choice.

The entire staff was very friendly and our server was very knowledgeable and always attentive.

While at the restaurant I was able to join their rewards program using my mobile phone. Just write your cell phone number on the check when you get it and you'll receive a text message confirming your purchase with the amount of points earned. Provide feedback and you get extra points.

We would definitely return to this restaurant, but more for the sports bar atmosphere. The food is good, but the I'd stick to sides like french fries, baked potatoes (white or sweet), and maybe mashed potatoes. We never made it to dessert.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Barbara P

Woodbridge, Virginia, United States
“Some good, some bad”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I've had a couple decent meals here, but unfortunately a couple of really bad ones. What can you say when the manager tells you that they know a recipe is terrible, but "corporate" make them use it? They haven't been open all that long, so maybe they are better now. Decent bar.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank David L
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Yummy, but loud on a Friday”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Tried this place out the other night on a date; We were unsure if it would be worth it due to the mixed reviews, but found it to be very good! We chose to sit in the "sports theater"/bar area and were seated immediately. The whole staff was very friendly, especially our waitress. We both ordered the prime rib--one cooked medium well and the other medium rare--and were quite pleased. Both were cooked to perfection, flavorful, and moist. I enjoyed my bacon potatoes au gratin and my boyfriend's grilled vegetables seemed to be satisfactory. Side of broccoli was unseasoned and slightly under-cooked.
I'm sure if we had gone on a different day of the week and had sat in the dining room instead it would have been much quieter, but it was on the edge of VERY loud on a Friday night and we eventually got tired of yelling to each other across the booth.
Over all, a pleasant experience both in the food and the service. We would definitely go back on a quieter night.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank flyingsails
Dayton, Ohio
“Sports Theater, then Steakhouse”
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We learned of this restaurant as a recommendation by the hotel desk, so three of us decided to check it out. On entry, I was impressed by the display of steak cuts available that night; the meat looked fresh and the steak sized appropriately -- like I'd grill them at home.

I ordered the 14 oz ribeye cooked rare. The steak arrived just slightly overdone, and somewhat chewier than I'm used to in a ribeye, but mostly flavorful and juicy. The side dish - wild rice - came in a salad-dressing-sized cup stuck on the plate almost as an afterthought. Maybe serving it that way makes it easier to wash the dishes, but it did nothing to enhance the meal. Our server was friendly and professional.

As a plus, the restaurant serves Sam Adams seasonals on tap -- I had a nice glass of Old Fezziwig with my meal.

Just to note: this review is on the Manassas (Ashland Community Square) location. Overall not bad, but with all the variety in restaurants available today, nothing particularly outstanding to bring me back.

• Visited December 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
“This Review is on the Maryland Steakhouse”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Although this is shown in Virginia, this group has opened in Baltimore County, MD on Joppa Road in Parkville. This is review is on the newest location, NOT Virginia.

We went on a gift card, and although we're not steak eaters, the menu had sufficient non-steak entrees. Went on a Friday night at 5 PM to avoid the later night crowd. Service was excellent and Liz did a wonderful job being attentive to us even though the place was obviously getting very busy.

We split the Coconut Shrimp appetizer, the sauce was excellent as were the shrimp, large and perfectly deep fried. We both had Grilled Salmon Fillet, topped with Teriyaki Sauce and Pineapple slice. We have spent a lot more for Salmon, but nothing compared to the preparation, flavor and moistness of these fillets. The vegetables were extraordinary. Broccoli was hot, fresh and not muddled in steam water. Garlic mashed potatoes actually tasted like garlic (yea!). Surprisingly, Fish and Chips were on the menu and they had none to serve, but that wasn't a deal breaker.

From 3-7 PM on Fridays, Happy Hour drinks are $2.50 for rail and $3.50 for call brands. Whoa! No wonder they were crowded. Being seniors, we generally don't like the racket, but with a gift card, we'd put up with it. If you're younger, indulge yourself. If you're older, going there for lunch might be a better choice. In any event, the food and service were very good, and we will go back. Prices are quite moderate.

• Visited November 2013