“Would have rated higher, but some 'management' issues.”

Holiday Inn Manassas - Battlefield
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Manassas
Leatherstocking Region New York
“Would have rated higher, but some 'management' issues.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

Stayed here on Aug. 23, then on our return north we stayed again on Aug. 30. Tale of two trips. Both check-ins I was greeted in a very friendly manner, welcomed as a PC member and given coupons, discounts, etc. that were due to me. Stayed in double Queen room each time. Very clean, whole hotel was very clean. Smelled clean in the lobby, elevators, hallways, rooms, etc. HUGE room. Flat screen TV, microwave, refrigerator.
First check-in went very smoothly and check-out was just as easy. I was encouraged to go to this site and leave an independent review since we had enjoyed our stay. The second time we checked-in they had my reservation incorrect. First, they had a higher rate listed as to what I had on my confirmation sheet. Only a five dollars more, but every penny saved counts nowadays. Front desk person took care of it immediately on his computer. Also, had us in a King Bed room when I reserved 2 Queens. Again not a problem he took care of it without much delay.

Only down sides to this hotel are as follows:

#1, Queen beds are not really queen-sized. We have queen at home, and this "queen" was nothing more than a double bed at this hotel. Although the sheeting and pillows are great. Just give us a Queen bed.

#2, They advertise a bar area, which looked very chic, but when we arrived back at hotel from dinner at 10 PM on Saturday night we planned to patronize the bar only to find it closed??????? Saturday night at 10 PM? With a 3/4 full hotel? Must not want to make any $$ there.

#3, Breakfast management is a nightmare here. We arrived at breakfast at 10 AM. Only one waitress on duty even though hotel was pretty full. Most of the booths and tables had the dirty dishes, glasses, etc. from the previous patrons. We waited 10 minutes watching the waitress (older woman) attend to the customers and try to bus the tables herself. She was too busy to seat new patrons. There were several waiting to be seated. My wife finally went to the front desk to get her some help. Young woman from front desk cleaned our table off and got us our juices. Still waited another 20 minutes as waitress attempted to wait on customers and take care of dirty tables. We finally got up and left since we wanted to get on the road, and at that rate we would not have been out of there until after noon. It was evident that management did not do a good job in managing the "bistro" part of the hotel. There were 3 people at the check-out trying to put paper in the printer, numerous cleaning staff on the floors cleaning rooms, and even a woman mopping the floor of the lobby. Someone should have been pulled to bus the tables and/or play host/hostess for the guests arriving for breakfast. Or hire someone to do this job when they know it will be busy. Woman at front desk made the excuse that there was a concert in the area last night and the hotel was pretty full, so they were busy.
Don't make excuses, do something to remedy the situation: that is good management.

This place could be a top-notch Holiday Inn if they can get someone to manage the "bistro" better.

PS The same waitress attended to us on the morning of the 24th the first time we were here and did a nice job. She was friendly and did her job well. But on that date we were the only patrons in the restaurant at 9 AM. Only about 5 cars in parking lot the night before.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Tucson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2009

We stayed at this Holiday Inn on a recent visit to see our son. The hotel is very modern, and the rooms are good except for the pillows. Many hotels of this caliber provide at least two different types of pillows, but this hotel only had fat, foam pillows, making sleep difficult.

The staff was less than helpful, saying that they had no control over the pillows since the type was chosen by corporate. When I asked for directions to a local restaurant I was advised to look it up online, even though the person did not appear to be busy.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2009

Super clean hotel, great staff - front desk, Julie and Nelly, and GM Rod Jarrah gave me the impression they want client satisfaction and a pleasant stay. I will return!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2009

My compliments to the folks at Holiday Inn Manassas-Battlefield for making my stay so pleasant. I was surprised and pleased to be upgraded to a larger room when I arrived. The staff was unfailingly pleasant and helpful - I got a great recommendation for a local pizza restaurant that was just what I was looking for. The two women behind the desk were as genuinely friendly as any I have met in my years of business travel. The hotel is new, clean, and very well appointed. I would not give the breakfast buffet a high grade, but that is a minor point. And finally, the rate I was able to book online for this hotel using Priceline.com was fifty dollars below the hotels at which I generally stay - with no compromise on comfort or quality.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Bath,Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

I am so glad I booked this Holiday Inn. The room was really clean and bright, the beds were super comfortable and the front desk staff was really friendly and helpful. There was one downfall and that was the on site resturant. Avoid this place. We checked in in the late evening and thought to grab dinner here. We walked in and debated if we were supposed to seat ourselves or not. The bar tender ignored us and I was at the point of asking the front desk when our waitress came out. There was only one other occupied table in the place which should have told us something. The food was only so so. They messed up the kids orders and we were hard pressed to get drink refills. The waitress kept disapearing into the back. We debated if she was cooking the food as well! The next morning I overheard other guests talking to the front desk about the same issues.
There are a lot of resturants and stores close by so I would stay again anyway.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2009

Found this hotel by searching hotels in the area of Splashdown and Atlantis Waterparks. Immediately upon walking in I felt relaxed and at home. The check-in process was quick and the receptioness was extremely friendly. I was super impressed when I walk into my room. It was spacious, contempary, and cozy. It included a flat screen tv, mini frig and a microwave as well as a coffee maker. This room looked exactly like the picture I viewed on the Holiday Inn's website, except it was a different color. Kids eat free so we'd go for breakfast every morning. With one adult and 3 kids my bill would only be $12 (AMAZING). The kids really enjoyed making their own waffles at the breakfast buffett and the flat screen TV at every booth that allowed them to watch Sponge Bob while eating. Other than the hotel being out of Shampoo & Conditioner (Bath & Body Works Coconut Verbana) I have no complaints about my entire stay.

Christiansburg, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

Stayed at this hotel when we needed a place near the Nissan Pavilion in Bristow. The room was quiet and the bed was very comfy. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple