“Ok if you want a quick bite”
Review of Villa Mare - CLOSED

Villa Mare
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Dined here for a summer afternoon lunch, We ordered an indian platter to share to start with and had two mixed grills for main course. Indian platter was acceptable, main course was good all freshly cooked and full of flavour, ate inside but the ac was off in July!! Ok if you just want a quick lunch, but nothing special with the food. Staff were polite and friendly

1  Thank Jonathan M

Reviewed July 18, 2013

When I looked up on the restaurants facade, I thought it would be a great restaurant as it is right at the Bugibba Piazzia and since the sign read children area i thought I would go in and enjoy my eve while my kid has some time in the children area. To my family's surprise when the host asked us where we would like to sit down I replied "the closest table to the children corner so that I would not have a rough night with my child". Rudely the host replied "Then buckle up because it's gonna be a rough one, AC not working and the children area does not exist anymore". He snobbed us and moved on to another couple who were waiting behind us. Still without a table we looked at the Host and my husband asked if he is willing into helping us find a table but after being snotty we decided to find elsewhere. Don't know what to food tastes like or if the host was just having a bad day but would not want to step foot in there again.

VillaMare1, Guest Relations Manager at Villa Mare, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Having read your review I was very concerned and have since spoken to all of the staff to ascertain what happened. I am more than baffled as to why you were told that the AC was not working. The AC’s in the restaurant are all in good working order and are turned on as I write this! Occasionally we do not turn the AC on as the location of the restaurant means that we get a nice sea breeze. Having said that, we always turn the AC on if our customers ask us to.

The Children’s play area that was mentioned does still exist at the back of the restaurant near our beer garden. There are tables situated right next to the area so that parents can keep an eye on their children. As a family restaurant, we understand that some children do not want to sit at a table and the area gives them a place to relax without the parents worrying that the other diners are being disturbed.

The area had been revamped into more of a games room suitable for older children. However, based on feedback from our customers, we have installed an activity area for younger children. Now both older and younger children have something to keep them amused!

With these facts in mind, I can only assume that the comments made by the host were some kind of poorly timed joke. I apologise that your experience at Villa Mare was unsatisfactory and offer my assurances that the staff member involved has been spoken to.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Junk food! We ate there dinner and it was completely disaster. Food was really tasteless and prepared with ready products e.g. bbq souce from a bottle and pineaplle from can. What's more, it was kind of expensive! For two plates and two glasses of Pepsi ( which was supposed to be original Pepsi but it wasn't) we paid over 20 euros. For these money (or less) you can eat really good dinner, e.g. at Granny's, Pizza Hut or La Kreperie

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at Villa Mare, however I do feel the need to respond vehemently to some of your comments.

Villa Mare ONLY serves original Pepsi which is provided to us by the largest supplier of soft drinks on the island of Malta. It is either served from our mixing machine, from large bottles, or small glass bottles. Had you asked the manager, he would have been more than happy to offer evidence to this effect. In addition, if you were not happy with your drinks, had you made a waiter aware, we would have replaced them for you, as is our custom.

I do not feel that I can comment on how the food tasted, as you have neglected to state what items you ate from the menu. However, I can assure you that all of our products are freshly prepared with the finest ingredients that we can source locally.

The BBQ sauce that you mention, is indeed home made, and not from a bottle. If you had received ready made BBQ sauce instead of fresh, and made the manager aware, then we would have replaced it immediately and spoken to the chef responsible.

Villa Mare’s prices are in line with other local restaurants; in fact they are markedly cheaper in some instances. In addition, we pay careful attention to pricing through comparison exercises to make sure that we are reasonably priced. We try to walk the fine line between sourcing quality ingredients and not raising our prices, hence us using good quality canned pineapple. Fresh pineapple is easily sourced, but expensive, and as Villa Mare is a family restaurant and not a 5* hotel, we made the decision not to make our dishes unaffordable.

Should you wish to contact me with any further comments, or information about your visit to Villa Mare, please do not hesitate.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Very friendly staff and delicious food! Really enjoyed my visit.... I will visit again soon and bring more friends as well!

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Second visit in 2 years and love the place, full of atmosphere, great attentive service, great value for money and most importantly great food. Rabbit is very good and if you just want a snack the 'taste of Med, Indian, American etc are ideal.