“Terrible place”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Bugibba
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
“Terrible place”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

No TV's as advertised in the santa maria hotel, not even the chapels tv and games lounge were open, as hotel has been closed for 9 yrs and only opened in July. So they were doing repairs while admitting customers. there were flies all over the food, hot and cold, if ya can call the hot food hot. this hotel only deserves 2 stars at most. We had to rent a fan as rooms only have a ceiling fan which is not enough. no air con in rooms. No entertainment in santa maria, you had to go to its sister hotel san anton across the street. Santa maria didn't even have music. and no matter what you paid, if you complained the answer was ''you paid for the cheaper hotel'' NEVER AGAIN would we go there, not even for free

Room Tip: poolside room above level 1
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Susan N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mossley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

me and my friend went here on 20/08/13 for what we believed to be an all time fantastic girly holiday. our flight left manchester at 5.00am we were so excited but tired and planned to get out heads down when we got there before our adventures began. on arrival at 11.00am exhausted we asked to book in so we could get the key to our room and settle in. the lady behind the counter told us we wasnt able to check in until 4pm which we were appauled at. so 5 hours later we went back to the desk for our keys. after 2 rooms later we were put in a twin basic room no tv no phone like we were told we would have but so tired we just wanted to settle. we went down to the restaurant for something to eat for tea to be greeted by flies with chips flies with rice flies with chicken im sure your getting the picture. it was to say the least fly infested!!! we went to explore the hotel then to find all bars (apart from the pool bar) were non functionable the tv room the same!!! we went all inclusive and ate out every night just so we could eat something without the added fly addition. i found a shop just round the corner from the hotel to buy fly spray which thankfully he sold. so if booking here go to the shop on arrival and ask for a coouple of cans of piff paff you will need it to get through the week there!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marcus A

Travelers are raving about these Bugibba hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Of course, paying what you do with this hotel you cannot expect the world. And we didn't. I did expect to have a reasonably enjoyable holiday though.

- We had specifically booked the Blue Sea Santa Maria hotel, NOT the Blue Sea San Anton.
It was clear that they were in some way connected but are still two distinct hotels. When we arrived we were put in the Blue Sea San Anton. It didn't occur to us initially. The first room we were put in had mould on easily 60% of the walls. It stank of damp as soon as we moved in. We complained and mentioned that we didn't even book this hotel. We were fobbed off with some nonsense response. I stated that we had booked the Santa Maria, not the San Anton and since that was what had been purchased contractually that is were we should have been from the very outset; it is not up to them to just put you in a different hotel and hope you don't notice. Perhaps it was because we were a young couple they thought they could mess us around. We had to stay over night in the San Anton and were moved over to the Santa Maria the next day. What a difference. Then our holiday started. We weren't being fussy, we simply hadn't got what we had paid for. We lost two days of our holiday because of this and feel we should be compensated.

- The Restaurant in the Blue Sea San Anton
The two hotels share facilities although the restaurant in the Santa Maria did start serving dinner later. The restaurant in the San Anton was disgusting. I have never seen so many flies all over the food. It was also a vegetarians nightmare. I had noticed what looked like vegetarian meals, which looked nice, but the chefs were using the same spoons etc to sort the meat dishes as the vegetarian ones. This might not seem like a big deal to lots of people but it is cross contamination. I don't particularly want pork chop juice all over my would be vegetarian pasta. I couldn't eat there so there was expense I hadn't planned for in having to eat out.

- Air Conditioned Communal areas
They use the term communal areas very loosely. What they mean is they air condition the reception desk and no where else. If only the restaurants were air conditioned. I found not being able to escape the heat at dinner time pretty unbearable.

- Cleanliness, or lack of
It just wasn't clean. I don't know what the cleaner did other than perhaps riffle through peoples belongings. The bathroom wasn't cleaned, sheets weren't changed, they didn't even give us new toilet roll. We didn't receive any clean towels, I had to get some off the cleaners trolley. The floor was dirty. The bed was never made. Just dirty.

- Random theft
We were leaving the hotel, checking out, at 3am. Earlier that evening I noticed that my speaker, a bear shaped speaker, had gone missing from the room. We complained to reception but of course because we were leaving in a few hours they just shrugged their shoulders. Not good enough. I had bought that speaker specifically for that holiday. Perhaps because it was a small item they thought we wouldn't notice until we had left. I feel I should be compensated for the loss of this item. It cost me £10.

The pool in the Santa Maria was nice although there was no where near enough sunbeds. The breakfast at the Santa Maria was reasonable enough. Some members of staff, the bar staff in particular, were very friendly and accommodating. I cannot say anymore positive things about this hotel.

I would contact the hotel directly except there is no way to do so. I have been unable to find any number, email or address for them. Having said that, I imagine my complaint would be ignored. I want to be compensated for the theft and for the loss of the two days of my holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GGS89
Aveley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We have just come back from this hotel its a clean but very basic hotel. On arrival at 11.30am we was able to get our keys to our room straight away, our room was on the third floor but that didnt matter as there was two lifts. Once in our room we noticed we had no lights on further looking none of the lamps had bulbs in, we told reception and within an hour maintnance had come to place new bulbs in the lamp. On the website it does say satalite TV in the rooms but infact there are no TV'S in the rooms at all (didnt really matter as we was out everyday.) The baby pool was cleaned, emptied and refilled everyday, pool was clean every other day and floors around pool area clean everyday- The pool was quiet which was nice to be able to sit peacefully. We are glad we had half board as the food was very basic( sausages are frankfurters) best tme to go down to have food was around half way through.

It wasn't as bad as some of the reviews we saw on here before we leftwhich left us unsettled about going!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank TanyaS264
Portugal
Reviewed September 8, 2013

the hotel is a building that needs some works of refurbishment and modernization. The rooms are basic but you can not ask more for the price. the hotel has good tourist service servisse but the internal customer support is terrible, the employees are not trained in hospitality nor any sympathy for the clients (of course there are some exceptions). For example during cleaning of the room threw away my box of contact lenses after complaining and waiting three days for the reply, they said it was my fault! The meals have food in quantity but the quality depends on the team that is in the kitchen, the first days the food was poor quality (too much fat and salt), and breakfast little variety of cold (which is a problem for non-English and do not eat beans and bacon for breakfast). The pool patio is a sympathetic and clean, it's a nice area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Bookcyprus.com

3 Thank Bruno P
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed here with my partner and seven year old child for a week from 25/08/13.
Room was only booked for two people when we arrived to check in, so waited half an hour for another room to be found.
All entertainment/bar/kid's activities were non functioning here so you had to use the San Anton across the road.
This is fine if you like a kid's disco for three year olds (same every night), bingo every night, karaoke and budget entertainment every night and a kid's games room with a football table with mould growing inside, three broken arcades and a pool table with broken cues and ripped felt.

Food, very basic and boring and it is the same food every night. Wouldn't even bother with breakfast and if you think you would just get by on toast, think again. The 8 slice toaster, only has two of the sections that actually toast and takes a good five minutes. This was never fixed or replaced during our week and in a restaurant of about 150 covers, an absolute joke.

As the room goes, basic.
Ceiling fan was crap, shower was crap and the mirror fell off the wall during our stay.

All i would say, is pay a little more money and stay somewhere else, anywhere else than this hotel because it isn't even worth half of what we paid.

Room Tip: You are probably better to just bring your own sleeping bag and find a nice spot on the street outsi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alasdair N
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Hotel rooms are not the best or worst.Shower was crude but it worked.
Worst thing about room was no air con for me,just an ineffective fan that probably made the room hotter and the noise meant you couldnt sleep if you left it on.
If you switched it off?you woke up soaked in your own sweat.
So being all inclusive the best thing to do was hit the alcohol and get what sleep you could.
The food was typical buffet style pile it up that you get in cheap all incs,to be honest I have had worse all incs in egypt but as long as you cherry pick what you eat? there was always something to put on your plate.I had no stomach trouble with it either.
So? 5 out of 10,It was what I expected for what I paid,thats about where it is.

Room Tip: spend some money on a better hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank M6CARPARK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bugibba
San Pawl Hotel
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 15 in Qawra
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,938 reviews
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa

Been to The Santa Maria Hotel? Share your experiences!