“Re-union”

Cuisines: European, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2013

With some friends arrived from Scotland we booked at the last moment in Venus: full the little space outside , they accommodate us in a nice table inside .
The staff very polite and professional but quite friendly paid full attention towards us ( they where over-staffed, probably they hoped to received more clients ) ; menu and drinks offered .. Menu well balanced with a good choice of starters , pastas and mains... tried to push ( polity) the fresh fish , but we felt to go for the meat at this round ... presentation of starters and the meats well done, cooking temperature to perfection, nice vegetables and pots, nice even the two butters and the olives served to start off with... The only disappointment was for the desserts ( suggested as home made ?? ) not up to the kitchen standard ...... they should be improved to follow the Chef style !!! The bill was within the expectations ...I do not remember the Coffee Brand , but acceptable considering most of the Espresso served in Malta !!!
A place to try again and to follow the progress in future ...

1  Thank facreat
There are newer reviews for Venus Restaurant

Reviewed September 28, 2013

After reading so many good reviews about Venus, we were expecting much more than what we got. In retrospect, I should have known from the moment i booked our table on the phone. The man who answered the phone and took my booking made me feel like i had interrupted something with my phone call. I could hear him shouting as he was hanging up at the end of the call. Not a good first impression.

When we arrived, the restaurant was packed and the staff all looked very busy. About 3 people looked at us until one of them finally POINTED to our table. We were given menus and after a few minutes the owner came with another waiter to show us the fresh fish and cuts of meat. He did this so incredibly fast and stressed out, before moving on to the next table and the one after. It was done in such a fast and forced way, that i did not dare ask any questions. We then waited about 20 minutes with menus closed in front of us before our order was taken. The owner came over to take our order but was unsure who had been seated first, whether us or the table next to us, so he looked at the couple sitting next to us and said "i think this table was here first"! Absolutely unacceptable. He then jotted down our order at lightning speed before moving over to the table next to us. A very uncomfortable situation indeed, especially taking into consideration that the restaurant is very small and the tables are extremely close to each other. I can understand what it feels like to be busy and stressed, but when striving to be an upscale restaurant, concealing the stress should have been something basic to them. Have less tables, or better trained staff perhaps.

It was a good thing that I happened to bring a cardigan with me because there were two giant air condition units on full blast. Then, all of a sudden, the air conditioner that was above us started dripping water onto my partner's shoulder. We thought it might just happen once, but when it continued to drip on him we finally pointed it out to the waiter who switched it off and explained that they have been having problems with it all summer. Well, if you have been having problems with it all summer, then one would expect that you would have it fixed!

We ordered the melted cheeselets and the potato gnocchi for starters which were both very good, especially the cheeselets. For our mains we had the chicken breast and the meagre fish. Both were cooked deliciously. For dessert we had the coconut cake and the chocolate and hazlenut cake, which were very good and homemade, although I would have expected a better variety of desserts rather than just cakes. We ordered a bottle of Chablis, and I must say that I was quite disappointed with the wine list being somewhat limited.

Not once were we asked if our meal was ok, nor was our wine or water topped up for us. However, we were offered a complimentary drink at the end of our meal, which was quite nice.

One last point i MUST mention. Just before leaving the restaurant i visited the ladies room, and to my dismay...there was no toilet paper. This was just the icing on the cake.

Although the food was good, we were quite disappointed with the overall experience, especially with such prices, you would expect much better service. Sorry Venus, but we will not be returing.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Bugibba is definitely not the place to go if you're looking to be spoilt for eatery choice. So thank goodness for Venus. The food here is simply outstanding. The set menu is excellent value for money; portions are generous, food is well cooked and well presented, service is friendly and professional. If you close your eyes you can almost forget you're in a place that's dominated by €3 English breakfasts and menus containing 25+ dishes. It was so good in fact, that we went twice during a three-night stay :) The steak was melt in the mouth, the swordfish was delicious, my calamari starter and main was wonderful, hell, even the bread (two kinds, served with pats of butter sprinkled with fresh herbs and served on tiny marble slabs to keep them cool) and homemade dip was yummy! I can't recommend Venus highly enough. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Reviewed September 21, 2013

It was nice to see how a good restaurant can cope with other palces next to each other. On the other side of the street kebab shop, next to this place typical british pub however this little place standing out from the other restaurants. This is why we decided to try out. The foods (pasta, salad) wine was just all simply perfect actually outstanding. However in terms of the waiters' knowledge about wines was not really good. They have a nice wine list but you need to know what you will have as they could not really help to choose the correct one for the dinner. The air condition went really heavily so we were actually a bit cold whereas the entrance door was widely open. Water from the ai condition dropped onto my head. It is not a quiet place so in case you would like to have a romantic dinner consider this factor. The good atmosphere what is missing from this restaurant. Could be more friendly.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

As a total nerd when it comes to eating out on holidays, I left Venus for the last night of the trip due to it's reviews on here, which are superb. While I enjoyed the meal, I was left *slightly* disappointed, and ended up having a better experience in Paulus.

Firstly, service was tremendous - the hostess (a blonde English lady) was a delight, and the waiting staff were friendly and efficient.

Shared a starter of calamari & fishcakes - while the calamari was cooked to perfection, the fishcakes didn't have a great consistency or taste, and felt a little cheap.

Main course was rack of lamb, which came with mashed & roasted potatoes, veg & gravy. The veg, potatoes & gravy were delicious, and the lamb was pretty good, though a tiny bit too pink for my personal taste - I can't really fault the chef though, it's just my preference.

Overall, I'd certainly recommend going to Venus, but if you can only eat out in style one night, I'd go for Paulus if you like seafood at all.