“Be realistic about your expectations!”

Cardor Holiday Complex
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Qawra
Montrose, United Kingdom
“Be realistic about your expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2012

We recently returned from a 1 week stay at the Cardor Holiday Complex. I can honestly say that I cannot fault the place. The apartment was basic but clean. Breakfast was served in the adjoining hotel which was perfectly adequate. Our entire holiday - including B&B, flights and transfers - cost £374 so we weren't expecting 5 star Hilton style accommodation. Providing you remain realistic about your expectations you won't be disappointed. If you are looking for 5 star accommodation you will need to pay the price for it. Keep it real people!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Michael S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Polish first
Wirral, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

We've just got back from a week at the Cardor. I was a bit concerned before we travelled, having read such scathing comments on TA. Given that both the Cardor and the adjoining Canifor offer low cost holidays, I'm not sure whether some of the other reviewers had realistic expectations.

Our apartment (202) was spacious, had adequate equipment if we'd have chosen to cook, and was serviced everyday. We hadn't paid for a balcony, but didn't miss one, as we were out most of the time. The bathroom and shower were fine. If there's limited water (which is not unusual in some Mediterranean countries) we don't linger in the shower. I have to admit, the apartment could have been cleaner, but it did the job for us.

The pool was fine, with plenty of sunloungers - although the cushions were a bit grubby. We did have to walk across the pool area to reach the hotel for breakfast, or the bar. Having read comments here, I thought it was going to be a trek, but it's only a few metres - I can't understand why some people made such an issue of this.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel. There was a wide choice of English style fry up, cold meats, cheese, salad, yoghurt, breads, cereals and preserves - with 2 machines dispensing tea, coffee and hot chocolate. The dining room was crowded if we went down at 9.30, but again, we didn't expect more than that given what we'd paid.

The Cardor is bewtween Qawra and Bugibba, and a few minutes walk from the bus depot and the sea front. The restaurant in the nearby Oracle Casino served high quality food at surprisingly low prices. We had a great week in Malta, using local transport to visit Valetta and Gozo, and tasting local dishes.

In summary, we paid £230 each (let's put it into context: a return train ticket from Liverpool to London can cost £277) and had a great break in the sun. It could have been a bit cleaner, but overall we think the return flights and week in the Cardor were great value for money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Jen2Lions
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

My first time in malta on a girly hoilday we was not expecting much but this is the realy fatly towers the cutlery try had bits of food in the fridge was not clean No hot warter only one persons can take a shower before the hot water ran out, there is advertised that u can use a surna wrong and the hot tub that dose not work. We all realy cold so we left heating on as this was realy cold this was swiched off as we come back. The samed as evey body we had walk few the hotel which we got looks to kill . As we were leaveing the building the receptionis was very rude asking for key before we even got to the desk . We droped a bottel of wine on the floor we had nothing to mop the rest up so we use a towel to clean our mess up and not the floor to be sticky as soon we handed the key the woman march up to the room to inspected it pulled the towel that we use to clean up with and started to screm at us as we were leaveing the appartments it was discusting the way the woman talk to us all we fid offer to pay for the towel to be cleaned but just wanted to have a go at like silly girls im 30 old woman that work on customer services never been in a place like it i will never send freind,the public our fameily NEVER GO !!!!!

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Rachell81

Travelers are raving about these Qawra hotels

Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

I booked at the Cardor holiday Complex through My Malta a representative called Renatta did the deed, I liked the look of the sauna and the availabilites of a massasge being disabled, I even booked my wheel chair. the complex is not disabled friendy, there was one slope out by the swimming pool, that you have to walk up (about 2ft) between the patio levels which was dangerous for those with walking problems. the apartment was in a poor state of decoration, the beds old and tired as was every thing in the apartment, there was a TV but no English programs, the phone did not work, the bath had a shower over it, that I could not use as there were no safety handles fitted and I would not have felt safe trying to get out of the bath. Out side of the complex the foot paths were in a poor state of repairs and the roads even worse, this complex and the whole area where it is situated in not disabled friendly at all, I stayed 5nights out of the 14 booked, and came home at my expense. on complaining to My Malta, Renatta claimed that I never requested her to make sure the Complex was safe for me, she told me I had never discussed my disability, but had to back down when I reminded her that I had booked my wheel chair on the plane though her and assistance at the airports, so she had to conceed. The staff that did the cleaning in the complex went home about 4.30pm so I had to use the Canifor hotel entrace up some dozen or so steps. I asked how much it would be to up grade to the hotel and was quoted a further
18 euros per night, Food average but edible. very expensive massage 47 euros, evening meal 9 euros, stay away.

Room Tip: book somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank zone19
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

We have just returned from our holiday 4/3/12 and were totally unaware there were no facilities in the Cardor Holiday Complex all the photos are misleading there is no bar, restaraunt or any thing else, the front door closes at 5.00pm when the receptionist go off duty so you have to go around the corner to the Canifor Hotel to enable you to get in, you have to cross the pool area from the Canifor to the Cardor Complex and vise versa if you want a drink, food or to use the television lounge or watch the entertainment, which brings me to the fiasco of Saturday night, we were sitting waiting for the entertainment to start ( a song and dance night) when like a swarm of locusts the LOCALS from the area invaded the place they completely took over the lounge and those that could not get in danced in the foyer forcing the guest of the Cardor and Canifor who had paid for the entertainment in with the cost of the holiday to find somewhere else to go which to me was utterly unacceptable. MANAGEMENT TAKE NOTE
On the plus side the apartment was spacious and clean we had new white soft towels which were changed every day the beds were made and the apartment cleaned every day, all the staff were friendly and helpfull. Being it was classed as winter in Malta a lot of the cafe's and restaraunts were closed. we found a fantastic bar called Simons Elvis Tribute Bar which had different entertainment every night, Monday and Friday nights are every Elvis fans dream with a guy doing a tribute performance to The King he is fantastic.
Beryl G

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the backof the building as we were in the front on the main road and the noise fro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Beryl G
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

My father and two aunts, who are all in their 60s stayed here in February. They had an AWFUL stay and asked me to write this review n their behalf. The following is a number of complaints which they have from this apartment complex.

It was very old fashioned, small, fridge and fridge door were filthy, shower head kept falling off,no proper bed supplied for a third person, pool of water outside hall door when it rained, (which it did a lot on this visit!) hall door rattling in wind, no daylight could get in to apt as it was built within a building so lights had to be on constantly, wind blew under hall door, cooking utensils were very poor,only one channel available on tv, (was supposed to be satellite tv),extractor fan on cooker not working, no hangers for coats, bathroom door would not close properly, floors were dirty. They made complaints to the reception 3 times threedays in succession and staff were of no help. There was also no nightlife in the area. This was supposed to be a 3 star property and was not by any means.They booked this holiday with a travel agents.

The only good thing about this complex was that it was near a good bus service and was in a very good location, near to the beach.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms available here. It would be better to stay away.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Shevon11
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

This was our first visit to Malta. The area is excellent and less than 10 minutes from an excellent bus terminus & the daily bus ticket is excellent value for money, even cheaper if you're there for a week or longer. We were on a short break, 5 days over 4 nights and to be perfectly honest could not have stayed in the accommodation another night. Basically the only time we spent in the apartment was to sleep and neither of us got much due to the severe damp. We had rm 102. Complaining made no difference & was met with a not my problem attitude and "there are no other rooms". Copious use of perfume, air freshner and fresh air (we left the bedroom and bathroom windows open most of the time even when out) made not an iota of difference. All inclusive was very good value and the food was good if very English. The bar service @ Cardor was atrocious with one particular bar person vacating the bar everyone time he saw someone coming! Canifor bar was better but only open at night. Restarant service was hit and miss and as with the bar staff not exactly welcoming. accommodation aside the holiday was excellent. An independent rep told us the complex is part of an upgrade to EU 4 star standard in 2012 & I really hope this happens so as put a dampner on other peoples holidays.

Room Tip: Don't book Cardor in the first place.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mags R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Canifor Hotel
Topaz Hotel
Topaz Hotel
#3 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,425 reviews

Been to Cardor Holiday Complex? Share your experiences!