“Exceptional Quality and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lovage Bistro

Lovage Bistro
Ranked #1 of 100 Restaurants in Qawra
Cuisines: Mediterranean, European
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Valletta, Malta
“Exceptional Quality and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Let me start by saying that I come from a family where we cook well and eat well so expecting to find something better in a restaurant is not always easy. I went to Lovage for a relaxed dinner with four friends, one of whom is vegetarian, while another is gluten and lactose intolerant. I am pleased to say that this restaurant offers not only vegetarian options but, with a day's notice, also catered for our other friend who was beaming with the friendly personal service. Both an a la carte menu and daily specials are available, catering for fish, fowl, meat and pasta lovers in equal measures. The restaurant also offers a wide selection of superior wines, with a sommelier in attendance. We ordered fried calamari, bresaola, fried goat's cheese and asparagus panciotti for starters. The plates were returned clean. I had the panciotti and was amazed both by the fine homemade pasta (exactly like uncle Beppe would have made in Rome) as well as the delicate flavour of the dish. While we waited for the mains, baskets of warm bread were placed on our table, including a gluten free version. Who could resist the lovely waft? The mains came soon enough - hazelnut crusted salmon, calamari, pasta and saddle of rabbit.I have to say I had only ever tasted something similar to this saddle of rabbit at De Mondion, so I savoured every bite of the great flavours of the chicken mousse with pistachios and the parma ham wrap. The mains were served with roasted veg and potatoes on the side, also delicately aromatised so as not to detract from the rich flavours of the fish or meat dishes. The portions are generous and we were very pleased with our full tummies, but then again we could not resist trying the dessert. So three of us shared a valrhona chocolate mousse, which was served with crumbled raspberry macaroons and homemade bourbon vanilla ice cream accompanied by a crunchy crumble. We licked our spoons with delight every step of the way. Perhaps what I loved most about this restaurant is that exceptional food and service are available at a place where you are comfortable in smart casual dress. Cooking is definitely the chef patron's greatest love and pride here and I have nothing but praise for him and the quiet and efficient staff. They also went out of their way to ensure that our British fan got to see the World Cup match during the dinner. If you like De Mondion, Luna di Sera, the Lord Nelson and Rebekah's this one is a very competitive match! Definitely deserves a certificate of excellence.

Matthew S, Owner at Lovage Bistro, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thanks for visiting Lovage bistro and thanks for the beautiful comments. Hope to see you soon.

• Finnish first
Sliema, Malta
“Well Done”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I attended the summer party. Well done to all the staff and management, it was amazing!

Attard, Malta
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Summer at Lovage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Was present for the Lovage Summer Party, was an excellent night full of fantastic wines and good food, the menu was presented as canapés and wines where chosen from the wine list to complement the great cuisine. The atmosphere was impressive with fine art and live jazz guitar. After tasting the menu in bite size portions, they will surely see me again !

1 Thank MaltaEZ
London, United Kingdom
“A little bit of loveliness in Qawra”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband, toddler and I visited on a quiet night. Pleasantly surprised by the amuse Bouche. Saddle of rabbit was a first for me and I wasn't disappointed and the choc mousse was very rich and naughty! Good wine, and attentive service. Lovely place :)

Matthew S, Owner at Lovage Bistro, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thanks for visiting Lovage bistro and thanks for the beautiful comments. It's great that our passion is seen from our guests.thanks and see you soon.
Attard, null, Malta
“Amazing culinary experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

The ambience is modern, the food is astounding, the wine is perfectly paired on suggestion for the great host and sommelier! Once visted, a repeat visit will surely follow! One of the best culinary experiences on the island