“Definitely worth a visit”

The Flora - Asian Fusion Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 101 Restaurants in Qawra
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Chinese, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Flora is a recently opened, family-run Asian Fusion restaurant the only one of its kind in Malta, allowing you to savour cuisine from different Asian country- China,Thailand and Japan. We serve the finest Roast Pork Cantonese Style (Cha Siu) in the Maltese Islands. For those who are into spicy food, Red or Green Curry Thai Style will definitely leave your taste buds satisfied. At “The Flora” we also serve a diversity of sushi dishes,Japanese food epitomizing healthy eating and great taste. All dishes are cooked from the finest and freshest ingredients by our dedicated and highly experienced chefs. We are passionate about what we do and committed to put a smile on each and every one of our clients. Visit us at our modern and spacious restaurant “The Flora”.Great food at great prices. Our innovative FLORA TEA will leave you mesmerized. It comes in a small compressed jasmine/green tea ball and once it is put into hot water , in a matter of few minutes it will open and blossom into a flower!! Don’t believe? Come and see with your own eyes! The tea is not just about the look but also its taste is refreshing and its benefits for your system. Menus can be e-mailed upon request. [To find us- we are opposite the DIVING shop next to the SAN ANTONIO HOTEL]
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This restaurant is currently rated the 2nd most highly rated restaurant in Malta on TripAdvisor. That sets some incredibly high expectations to live up to. Maybe unfairly so..

We visited the restaurant for Easter lunch, with high expectations. We never judge a book by its cover and neither do we judge restaurants by their location or outside view,hence, we did not let the 'basement like' entrance, and neighboring 'garages' deter us. Once inside, natural light is minimal and the restaurant is obviously more suited for dinner and evening occasions. The decor is 'ok', with plenty of interest, but the quality of furniture and fittings is more 3 star than 5 star.

The staff is very friendly, and our service was 4 star. A watered down campari soda, having to ask for chop-sticks, and not provided with wet-wipes, or hand-washing bowl for wiping our hands after eating pancakes takes away that elusive fifth star.

We ordered a platter for starters, (meat on skewers, chicken wings, spring rolls, wonton etc.), half an aromatic crispy duck, rice, noodles, sizzling beef satay, chinese prawns, and Thai green curry chicken.

The fried items in the starter were too oily for my linking, so I gave them a miss. The kids loved them.

The aromatic crispy duck was divine and plentiful, and the waiter promptly provided us with extra pancakes and hoisin sauce when asked. It would get 5 stars from me where it not that the duck was served with sides of cucumber and full grown onion, rather than scallion or shallots.

The Thai Green Curry was superb and full of flavour, but the beef satay lacked flavour, and the prawn dish, whilst excellent in flavour, was, once again, too oily for my tastes.

The egg fried rice and Singapore noodles where ok.

Here is another of my pet hates. I could not help think that the meat had that 'tenderiser' texture, and flavour enhancer taste, that is so typical of restaurant style Chinese cuisine, yet something I am not particularly fond of.

The kids absolutely adored the fried ice cream, and the flora green tea is definitely worth the experience.

Whilst I would not rate the food as being exceptional, we ate every single item in every single plate. So by far, very acceptable for a hungry group.

Good value for money, the four star rating is an average for our group. The kids rated the food 10/10. The lady of the house 8/10 and me 6/10.

It is clear that this restaurant is run by a family that is trying hard to be successful, and based on the reviews on Trip Advisor, they are definitely getting things right!

1  Thank MalteseDad
XiXi H, Manager at The Flora - Asian Fusion Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your honest and detailed feedback! We will learn from your remarks.
Now that we are not 2nd place anymore it is a bit of relief for us, just like you said yourself 'incredibly high expectations' ... we just started business last year July and a lot still need to be learned.
We will learn on your comments on the food & services and will try to improve.
I like to thank you for trying us out and I'm glad you and your family enjoyed the experience at our restaurant and hopefully to see you again soon!

Thank you.
James.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

Excellent experience: perfect food, welcoming staff and prices are more than reasonable. A big Like. Ask for the VIP card once there - fabulous discounts and prizes.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The restaurant looks very unassuming from the entrance but once you go inside it is really big, modern and nicely decorated, a complete surprise. I went here with my boyfriend based on previous reviews and was not disappointed. We ordered some dim sum and the aromatic duck to start, both were amazing and the duck was honestly the best aromatic duck I've ever had, really crispy and tasty. We then had the kung po chicken and the lemon chicken, and again absolutely delicious! Overall the service was really good and friendly, the food was fantastic and the price was really reasonable. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

My friends and I visited this restaurant last Saturday, 23rd March. Service was very poor, with one waiter stretched between five or six tables and another barman who was also acting waiter it seems. We were given menus, then waited 30 minutes before we asked the waiters ourselves to submit our order. The waiter took very long to bring us our drinks. We got our prawn crackers after around an hour of sitting at our table, after which food was served extremely slowly, with no apology or the like. Ordering wine was also an ordeal, having to ask the waiter to do so ourselves. The wine we ordered wasn't available and we had to settle for an alternative.

Dining took a jaw dropping 4 hours: thank god we were in good company. We got our mains at 11:30PM. I felt weary by the end of it.

Food is average Chinese take out food quality, far from anything special, and not the cheapest. You can probably find cheaper places if you're looking for somewhere with generic Chinese take out style food. Oddly enough the restaurant seems to stay open very long, as a group walked in at 12:30AM and started ordering their food then.

There is nothing I would recommend this restaurant for, I am very surprised it got 5* ratings in the past. Had this been a true consistently 5* restaurant and they were simply having a bad night, I believe they would have known how to handle the situation they faced that night.

Just stay away.

XiXi H, Owner at The Flora - Asian Fusion Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Luke,

Thank you for your honest review.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced.

Yes,your are right we were having a bad night, we had a chef that was sick and couldn't work and we couldn't find another chef on the last minute...I am usually be a waiter/barman myself but I had to help out in the kitchen to cover the empty place,therefore we were slow on food but I did all my best to make your order as 1st priority as I was instructed by Lucy to take care of you. I am really sorry for your dissatisfaction.

I am sad to hear that our food were not up to your expectation as your were suggested by Lucy.
It COULD be that with all the rush that we have , we did not cook to perfection. But I have asked every other tables about our food and they reply as good in general and as for the service it was terrible as you said. Having said that, do not take me wrong that we cooked your food low class and others cooked better. They were all cooked in same manner with the same rush. But I can understand that different people will have different taste , expectation and opinions.

Please if there is anything that we could do to remit this situation.
Being a free meal or a voucher for two people...please let us know and we try remit this matter.
Feel free to write to us to dynasty-ltd@hotmail.com

Thank you.
James [Xi Xi]

Reviewed March 19, 2013

will definitely be back, good was delicious, staff very helpful and efficient, and very clean organised nice restaurant

1  Thank Alexia A