“OK Average 3 Star”
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I visited Malta for 5 days and stayed at the Sunflower, I was travelling on my own and after reading the reviews decided to stay at the Sunflower Hotel.

The hotel is a very average 3 star, cheap and cheerful.
I went half board which was a total let down. The breakfast was continental breakfast, ham, cheese and cereal. The food was not covered and therefore was open to lots of flies.
The orange juice was very watered down and had no orange flavour, the milk was not cold for the cereal. I decided to eat out for breakfast after my first morning experience.

The evening meal was average, quite cold and not a lot of choice. I ended up only having 2 evening meals in the hotel as it was not up to good standard, again the flies were an issue.

My room was again very average, it was clean and basic. This reflected in the price I had paid for this short break.
The pool is on the roof top of the hotel, it was nice, abit tired but gave lovely views over Malta.

The location of the hotel is very poor. It is set back from the sea front, felt I was walking through residential streets, pavements were littered with rubbish bin bags and dog muck. This caused a problem when walking back at night with the streets being poorly lit. Stray cats were also everywhere which came out at night.

Bugibba overall is very run down and dirty, if you visit Malta I would never stay again in Bugibba, it is trying to be a very run down Benidorm.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Sunflower Hotel

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Reception area and staff were excellent.We had booked a superior room that did not live up to the name "superior" Beds were basic in the extreme [Chipboard with a mattress on top],Couch that had seen better days,Television with no remote and very poor picture.Location ,location,location as they say is everything.Sadly approx 1 mile plus from the sea,my fault as i should have read the brochure more thoroughly.Buffet style meals were ok but the staff were not to good with the English lingo.Entertainment in the bar was a television showing a DVD of songs of the Eighties.Continental breakfast supplied but you could order a full english for only 3 euros.Good value.Pool areas [2] were well maintained.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

When my husband and i arrived in Qawra, we were a little disappointed. It reminded us of the series 'Benidorm'. We werent impressed with the mcdonalds, Pizza hut or Red Lion pub! We nearly hopped on a boat to Sicily!
When we entered the hotel however, it didnt have a single BRIT in it! Sigh of relief! The rooms were very clean and neat although the bathroom was super small! The hotel staff were extremely helpful although none of them knew the immediate area, we suspect that no locals chose to live nearby with the huge english influence!
We made an effort to leave the resort every day and found our way to Valetta the capital, lots of history and good affordable restaurants where we stumbled onto a wine festival over the harbour with fireworks! Mdina, the silent city, we made the trip by ourselves via the brilliant bus service. We literally travelled the whole island to avoid spending a moment in Bugibba or Qawra yet the Sunflower hotel was a nice place to return to just unfortunate of its location.
Rooftop pool area was wonderful! Breakfast was basic continental with ham and cheeses and rolls.

1  Thank Susieple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

After reading through some of the reviews of hotels in the area we found it difficult to decide which one to chose as there were so many mixed reviews.
In the end we decided to take a chance on the Sunflower and had a lovely two weeks there.
We always found the reception staff very friendly as were the restaurant and kitchen staff.
Our two main waitreses (Hungarian I think) were always chatty, cheerful and happy to help as were the Chefs on the Carvery.
The food was as good as any other hotel we have stayed in on a package holiday, we certainly didn't go hungry as there was always plenty to choose from.
Maybe some of the food, such as the selection of starters in the evening and bread at breakfast, should be covered due to flies coming in from the outdoor dinning area .
Our room was clean and,comfortable and there was no problem with our air conditioning or ceiling fan.
Before we arrived I was concerned about pictures on Trip advisor showing a grotty bathroom but in our room it turned out only to be tile cement .
As for the views, we were in room 504 and yes there was some building work going on over the road but we don't expect work to stop just because we are on holiday and that could happen anywhere even in the UK.
We probably had better views on this side of the hotel but in Malta unless you get a pool view or sea front hotel the chances of having a room with a view anywhere are pretty slim
The rooftop pool was relaxing although more parasols are needed and staff did remove them all due to the breeze on one day and we found it too much to lay up there without one giving us a little shade.
We saw the pool water being tested but there was at one point a little build up of suntan lotion in the water which is no fault of the hotel as there is a shower. .
Some parts of hotel could perhaps benefit from a bit of tlc such as the carpets in the corridors and some improvements with the housekeeping but other than that we enjoyed our stay and along with several other guests that we spoke to would happily stay there again.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Both me and my boyfriend found this hotel to be brilliant as it was our first time to Malta. The staff were lovely especially the reception staff who were very helpful. The rooms were spacious,clean and comfortable though the balcony was tiny and overlooked a building site. Another downside to the hotel is that it is difficult to find and is up a hill so it is not suitable for those with walking difficulties. My favourite part of the hotel was Definetly the rooftop pool which had the mot amazing scenic views of Bugibba. Would recommend.

2  Thank NatashaMurray
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We have just returned from malta,have been going f or the last 23years, have stayed at a lots of hotels ,and can say that The Sunflower was one of the best we have stayed in.Its only a 3 star but the accomadation was excellent,room was spotless,bed so comfortable and the room was furnished better than any hotel we have stayed in and we have stopped in a number of first class hotels.The staff are very friendly especially the young receptionist and the young polish girl that worked in the restaurant was so lovely,we only stayed BB the breakfast was continnental but was ample enough to eat and presented well ,its an hotel in a quiet area just what is needed for a relaxing holiday will be going again

Room Tip: All rooms at the back of the hotel catch the sun in the morning All rooms are very quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dianewolverhampton
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I regularly travel to Malta to visit my brother who is very settled with his Maltese partner there and I enjoyed my 4th stay at the Sunflower Hotel in room 506.

If it is your first stay there I would recommend you get a taxi or a coach to the Hotel, if you do not know the area it is tricky to get to due to Bugibba's one way roads and hidden location.

I stayed on my own and had a standard room with breakfast only. I can honestly say not once did I feel the 'odd one out'. The hotel is for those looking for a quieter holiday, singles, couples, small families and single parents.

The room was clean and comfortable, no problems with the ceiling fan or air conditioning, though in the July/August months I would recommend you take your own mini/desk fan, if you are a light sleeper like me the air conditioning does 'drone' a bit at night, an extra fan helps to keep you cool if you switch the air con off. (Or take ear plugs)
The only issues I had was the bathroom had no shaver plug socket, so take a 3 pin adapter as there is a 3 pin socket in the room, and the shower curtain did not reach into the bath, so the water would splash on the floor, even though there is a drain there the floor towel would get soaked. Towels were changed daily.
The 'key' to activate the electricity to the room did have a dodgy key slot which did not always get properly connected when inserted, nothing that a bit of folded up card wedged behind it could not sort out.

I had a good time relaxing by the pool. The pool is not big but large enough to have a few strokes in. Never felt it was ever crowded. The pool bar had a good choice of food and drink.
Except they used to do some great milkshakes last time I was there, but they don't do them now.
There was never a stuggle to find a sunbed or an umbrella (Umbrella's are kept in a cupboard left of the staircase entrance, most people helped themselves). Again I never found myself lonely, got chatting to a few folks of different nationalities who were nearby.
Generally the pool area was quiet apart from the radio played at the pool bar but is was not loud.
As the pool is on the roof you get a great view. It can get a touch windy now and again so I would recommend you keep your umbrella height set low or risk having it blown over.

I did use the indoor pool, I found it perfect after coming back very hot from a day on the beach and spending 10-15 minutes cooling down in there before going to my room to get changed for the evening. Again its not a big pool but I could swim around.

As I only had breakfast I can't comment personally on the evening food, however I did speak to guests who told me the food was good but made for the neutral palate, so no spicey or exotic foods. Apparently the lasagne was very good.

The main Hotel bar behind reception was good to have a drink in, again I would go in on my own and always end up having cocktails with other guests. There was entertainment on the Saturday night with a local guitarist.

I had no problems with the staff, they were friendly and helpful when called upon.

I guess for some the location of the hotel in Qawra will not be for all, I like it because it is away from the noise of the nighlife but close enough to the shops and coast line. It would take me less than 10 minutes to walk to Bugibba Square. Maybe thats miles for some.

I almost did get sent to the Santana Hotel again due to the overbooking excuse, I recieved an email 2 days before my trip informing me of my 'upgrade'.
I have stayed at the Santana before a few years ago and it is not the hotel for me.
The Santana Hotel is a larger hotel, has a larger roof top pool, larger dining area and bar and has the local bars, shops and restaurants on its doorstep. The rooms however are smaller than the Sunflowers and they have carpet, carpet in 30-40 degree temperatures? The Sunflower rooms are all tiled which gives it a more 'airey' feel to it.
The Satana is for large families, groups and friends who want to be close to the nightlife.
I certainly found when I used the the Santana roof pool I struggled for a swim from all the inflatable animals in there!
I did stand my ground with the booking people and informed them that I was a regular visitor to the Sunflower Hotel and they confirmed my booking there.
I am not saying the Santana is a bad Hotel, just not for my situation, I want quiet, relaxing and no crowds holiday, personally I think the Sunflower is well worth its stars, there maybe better more expensive hotels I am sure, but for what it is, it is good.

I have seen the other complaints about this hotel, I have none, but I will be honest with you, of all the guests I spoke to there, no-one had any major complaints.
A couple of 19 year old girls liked the hotel but wanted to be nearer the nightlife.
A single parent with her 2 young children said the staff could not have been more helpful with her children.
Sisters, 25 and 28 years old enjoyed their stay, although both of them were reading '50 shades of grey' when I met them by the pool, the 28 year old said next time she is bringing her boyfriend.
A couple in their 50's I met in the hotel bar were on their 8th stay at the hotel!

I will look forward to my 5th stay!

Room Tip: The rooms at the front of the hotel do get the hottest in the afternoon as they face the sun.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Trek111
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Topaz Hotel
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
Luna Holiday Complex
Luna Holiday Complex
#6 of 12 in Mellieha

Been to Sunflower Hotel? Share your experiences!