“Clean, friendly, quiet hotel”
Review of Soreda Hotel

Soreda Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We stayed at the Soreda for one week in May 2010. The staff at reception were very welcoming on arrival, which was appreciated since we arrived quite late in the evening. We found the hotel to be spotlessly clean and the rooms were cleaned and tidied daily, including fresh towels. Our room was spacious and confortable. The balcony was big enough to sit out on and the view was ok.

We liked the choice of food available in the restaurant - it had a mediterranean theme, but the breakfasts were mainly traditional English - with really nice bacon! The restaurant is quite large and the staff there are helpful and attentive. If you have any problems then the hotel duty manager is usually in the restaurant at around 8pm to check that you are enjoying your stay. We had no problems to report to him, but it was good to know that he was there and that he cared about his guests.

Evening entertainment was karaoke, disco, line dancing etc. It was ok. There are a few pubs and clubs in Qawra if you need something a bit livelier. If you want it really lively - don't stay in Qawra, go to St Julians or Paceville instead.

The roof was a great place for sunbathing. The roof pool is small, but not many people used it, preferring to sit around the bar area instead. There was always plenty of sunbeds available. The hotel has been expanded so there are two sets of lifts which lead to different sides of the hotel - if you get in the wrong lift it is confusing at first as it's not easy to find your room.

There isn't a beach in Qawra (pronounced Awra) , for the best beaches, go north to Golden bay, G'dina or Mellieha. The nicest restaurant we found was Surfside in Sliema, great food and a great location for lunch (and Matt Damon was at the next table, so a great view too!)

Overall we found the Soreda hotel to have very high standards and it was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Diane A
There are newer reviews for Soreda Hotel

Reviewed May 22, 2010

The Hotel was very nice. Staff very helpful and polite. Food and entertainment very good. Everywhere very clean. Rooms serviced everyday. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Iloveholidays80
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I do agree with ‘you get what you pay for’. Overall, it was a low cost holiday. We paid £273 each for the flights and the room inc. HB so we couldn’t really complain.

The overall hotel experience was very disappointing, it should be classed as a 2 star hotel. We are in our early 30-ties and believe it is more suitable for people in their 50-ties or over. Let’s just say it wasn’t our cup of tea.

We arrived at 9 o’clock in the evening and were checked-in in 5 minutes. My husband was horrified when he saw the hotel and wanted to leave somewhere else but I managed to change his mind and we stayed for 7 days just as we planned.

Although the room was clean and spacious, the bathroom required a serious refurbishment. Also, I’m married so I would appreciate a double bed instead of two separate single beds. Maids changed the towels everyday and did an excellent job cleaning the rooms. The fridge in our room was broken but fixed a day before we left.

The food was actually bad, not adequate for 4 star hotel. I got very bad stomach pain on 4th day. There was not enough fresh fruit and vegetable. The salad didn’t look very healthy either. I’ve noticed they made a number of cold salads from previous day leftovers. Due to these reasons we skipped breakfast and dinner a few times. I’m not a fussy eater and I love to cook but this food was exceptionally bad.

The bar and lobby smelled really bad. We preferred going out every night. The Feugo salsa bar is good if you like that sort of music, also the chin chin bar - the food is quite nice in there. We hired a car and saw as much of the island as possible.

Malta is a lovely place but I wouldn’t go back to Soreda. It would surely be Valetta or St Julian’s.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Right - After reading the reviews I was slightly cautious after booking this hotel.

To be fair we paid just a little over £300 each for a week All Inclusive, which included flights, transfers and AI basis. So not a bad deal at all.

Upon arrival at the hotel, the room was not ready (we arrived at 1pm), this was ready at 2pm. We wondered around the hotel in the meantime checking out the facilities. The hotel is not signposted and the gym/sauna/indoor pool are quite hard to find unless you know where you are going. When asking how to get to the rooftop pool, you can only go by the lift (as there are building works going on on floor 3 and 4) - not good if you are claustophobic. We were told that the indoor pool was shut - which didnt disappoint us too much.

When we got into the rooms - they were lovely and clean and spacious! Maids changed the towels everyday and did an excellent job cleaning the rooms.

Breakfast was excellent, lunch was limited and dinner was superb! Food was steaming hot (which I have never seen abroad) and the variety was fantastic!. One thing you will notice though is Friday, Saturday and Sunday the variety is alot more, because the locals come in for their food.

Evening entertainment was average - if it wasnt for the AI basis we would have ventured out! but we didnt mind it too much. Staff were a great laugh and the people we met.

The location is excellent, easy reach to bus stop and Bugibba town centre. Lots of little bars around the hotel at very cheap prices 1.90euro for homemade wine - I would recommend the cherry :)

Overall you get what you pay for - facilities arent great - corridors are a nightmare (lights on sensors and often dont come on until you reach the top step). Food was excellent and staff were lovely!

Perfect for a break away in the sun!

2  Thank Mellyabroad
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Really enjoyed my stay at The Soreda.

The Hotel was undergoing a bit of cosmetic surgery while my wife and I were there; the rooftop pool was closed, minor noise from builders re-tiling - but not a problem and most importantly it didn't effect the holiday at all.

The room was excellent, very spacious and clean with a nice balcony. There was a good sized fridge and generous wardrobe space.

The food was superb. Large choice, during my 7 nights they Chef's served up Veal, Rabbit, Lamb steaks, BBQ Ribs, Salmon Fillets, joints of Beef, Gammon, Pork and Turkey plus a wet choice e.g. Lasagne, Canneloni, Tortellini and various other Pasta dishes.

Hotel's location is good, in a quiet area yet an easy 5min walk from Bugibba centre the Bus terminal and the seafront.

Staff were all very friendly and attentive.

There are two main bar's, the larger holds entertainment each night, mainly aimed at the older generation who were easily the majority in the hotel. The smaller bar is a quieter TV lounge but it does have an outdoor patio area which is nice to sit out on a warm evening. There is a large 50" TV, perfect for watching football (they show ALL Premiership matches).

Overall a good, clean and quiet hotel.

3  Thank W0lves86
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Food was cold unless you got there first. Bar staff were really good. entertainment was ok

1  Thank LiverpoolNorma
Reviewed March 28, 2010

My sister loves trip advisor.
Before we left for our trip to Malta she had avidly read the reviews here.
Which, on the whole~
are very mixed.
We travelled as a party of six * 50* somethings, and we always make our own fun.
Here then, are my impressions of * The hotel Soreda, Malta.*
For what they are worth lol!

Pros

Friendly staff
( Hats off to John Borg, the reservations manager who was lovely. Really helpful at all times, thanks John.)
Bedrooms big
Fresh towels in bathrooms everyday
Bus station within walking distance

Cons

Eating

Food really awful, with a turtle made out of some sort of
dough that sat on top of the salad bar. * shudder*
At the end of the week I was existing on toast and soup.
( Lost four pounds lol so maybe no bad thing =)
Filthy tablecloths with remnants of previous meals all over them.
Communal sauces, bread baskets, ( I saw an older lady picking her ear and nose and then sifting through every slice of bread =( yuk!
Guess who skipped toast that morning.
Coffee was the worst I've ever tasted, and the orange juice came a close second.
The whole dining area reminded me of a school cafeteria.
I would say the dreadfulness of the food would really bring this hotel down.

Sleeping
Mattresses rock hard, pillows either lumpy or hard too.
We were there for a week, and the sheets on a weeks visit are meant to
be changed at least once, ours weren't.

Bathrooms

Broken shower, I had to hold the shower to actually get washed.
Water lukewarm most days

Age groups

Apart from a group of Italian kids
we were the youngest in the hotel and we are in our fifties !

Entertainment

Just the usual hotel fodder, ageing DJS and washed up dancers.

Swimming pools

Don't even bother with bringing your swim suit.
I had two with me, both went home bone dry.
( Will add photo later, when I get mine uploaded.)

I've often thought 4* on the continent is an average 2* hotel in the UK.
Sadly, the Soreda lived up to this expectation.

Cleanliness

In a downstairs loo near the main reception I found a dead cockroach.
That made me wonder what wildlife was lurking in the kitchens?

All in all,
I've heard of other all inclusive holidays where the standard has really been 4*, but sadly the Soreda didn't. I also have heard people say *you get what you pay for* ( I personally don't think that's always true.. ..) but this time, we really did.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Anita C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
#1 of 15 in Qawra
Il Palazzin Hotel
Il Palazzin Hotel
#5 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Soreda Hotel? Share your experiences!