“This place is worse than India” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Soreda Hotel

Soreda Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Qawra
UK
“This place is worse than India”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

What a shame if you have already booked, if not - look for something else - you'v e been warned!

This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I have stayed in better hotels in India!

Beware if you have children - the pool is on the roof and has a very low railing.

The food for all inclusive is revolting and you will be hugry, so don't bother with any food option. There a a few bars and restaurants around the corner.

The entertainment is a joke and there is nothing for the children.

Bugibba has nothing to offer and frankly is not worth a visit.

• Liked — It was close to the bus station
  • Disliked — dirty toilets in the public areas, no soap, no toilet paper
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cardiff
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2008

This is definately not a 4* hotel. We stayed in July & although the bedroom was okay, the rest of the hotel was dirty. There weren't enough sunloungers or unbrellas by the sunroof pool, which was very small and cramped. Some greenery wouldn't have gone amiss.
When asked if I could get a coffee I was directed to a cafe around the corner. A kettle was provided but you had to buy your own tea/coffee/sugar etc. The food was lack lustre, one evening the chef was carving 'veal' it tasted and looked like spam!
Thank goodness I was only there for 1 week!

• Disliked — dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Qawra hotels

lincolnshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

Just returned from this hotel...If you are expecting 4 star do not stay here.On arrival this electric was off due to a storm(Not their fault) We were told where the lifts were , no offer to assists us up,
stairs were in darkness, marble with no hand rail!!We were on the 4th floor!
next morning we woke up to no hot water all over the hotel, I used the kettle and blow the room fuse,reported this to reception 3 times before it was repaired.It do not matter much as the hotels electricity was turned off again for about 3 hours during the afternoon due to maintenance.
3rd day was very much like 2nd but..we had hot water and no cold , electricity was turned off again.
Then for 2 days we had electricity and water...bliss
6th day Water was off ALL day , we could not flush loos or shower.
If you expect plastic table cloths and dirty food area you will be ok.
The room was very clean with fresh linen most days.
But....Go here at your peril!!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — position and lack of water/electricity
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LincolnshireCarole
Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2008

We have just returned from a weekend break at the Soreda Hotel. I was terrified when I read some of the reviews but as we had already been there before and liked the hotel, I knew that it wasn't that bad but all the same I was a bit worried about the situation we might find. Our room was on the new part of the hotel and that made the room more modern than the one we had last year. The pool was maintained very well and the food was to our liking. One thing we did not like was that we had to wait to be given our room on arrival and also to wait for the doing up of our room on one of the days we were there, since this was done in the afternoon.

Having said all this I think it was good value for money and ideal for those who want a break at a low cost. I would recommend and return having the possibility.

• Liked — lovely pool
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BeautifulMalta
Durham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed at the Soreda hotel in Qawra for 10 days at the end of July till August 2008. Having read the reviews on Trip advisor we booked with a little terpidation regarding this hotel. The good reviews swung our decision to stay here, but in hindsight we should have gone with the bad reviews.
We arrived on the Sunday at 11.30 am and were told that our rooms were not ready and would have to wait 2 hrs. ( we had requested 2 adjoining rooms when we booked in February for our party of two couples ).
We were directed to the rooftop bar/pool area to wait.
First impressions of this area were that it was in need of refurbishment . ( not as expected 4 star ). Good views of rooftops and lots of tv aerials with the sea in the distance.
That said the staff were friendly and helpful.
Things started to go wrong when my Wife and Sister-in-law needed to use the toilet. They found it , but another guest informed them that there was only one toilet for both male and female guest on the whole roof bar area.
As promised our rooms were ready at 1.30pm on the third floor overlooking the small ground floor pool.
The rooms were a good size and clean , but room 306 where our family were staying had a sewerage smell from the bath.
Our room 305 was ok but the bath and sink drained very slowly and this caused more smells in 306.
These in themselves were not major problems but we reported them to reception straight away , and were promised that the faults would be repaired A.S.A.P. especially the smell.
Sunday went by, then on Monday still nothing done. Again reported to reception, again a promise of action.
Tuesday , same result. same promise,nothing done.
Wednesday we saw our Med hotel rep Margaret and told her.
We were not alone in our complaint,a couple we spoke to had terrible air conditioning and the door lock was missing from inside the room.
Margaret went to the reception and complained for us, but was asked by the management not to talk too loudly as she would upset other guests.
Thursday was the final straw. We had been to the beach at Melliah Bay all day and on return all we wanted to do was have a refreshing shower. Room 305 had towels , but none at all in 306.
We rang down for some and were told they would be right up.
1 1/2 hours later still no towels.
I went down and spoke to Deputy Manager Mr Paul Cassar.
I told him all the issues and about the terrible service and that I would be writing this review.
To his credit he got the emergency plumber within the hour , gave us towels immediately and gave us two bottles of wine and a free invite to the Friday bbq or the Saturday dinner dance .
Problems sorted we thought. ( wrong ).
Friday again after a day out, no towels in 306.
Told Mr Cassar again who was most upset that it had happened again and asked me to write a letter of complaint so that action could be taken against the relevant staff, which I did do.
They do genuenly seem to want to improve the hotel, but have a long way to go.
On our last day I told Mr Cassar that he would do well to read these reviews. Will he? who knows.
P.S the couple with the broken lock and rubbish air-conditioning got a new room a week later after threatening to sleep in the tv room where the air con worked.

2 Thank tomhiggins
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2008

I had booked our holiday without reading the reviews and was gutted when i read them once the holiday had been booked and paid for.
I had a fantastic time. The service was second to none. Everyone was friendly. Staff were so helpful, even offering to find out about the local markets and they sent a list to our room, handwritten and with a warm smile.

I found the rooms to be lovely although the view of a wall overlooking the downstairs pool a bit depressing. Air con in the room a bit naff but a lovely kitchenette with fridge, kettle, sink, cooker and all utesils meant it was great for our baby (to heat bottles and keep milk cool!).

a cot was provided free of charge and i am normally very fussy about what my baby sleeps in but they were fine, just a little scuffed but nothing hazardous, dangerous or missing!

Food - i wasn;t so keen but my husband and 9 year old boy loved it. If you are not a rabbit eater, than id doubt you would like much on offer either but there is always something even if just chips and salad.

Breakfast was lovely although be aware of the revolving toaster, i managed to set my toast on fire (i wasn;t the only one) and after i screamed 'fire!' , no one seemed to be bothered by it. Luckily the fire went out once the toast had done the full circuit of the toaster!

The location is a little bad if you are using a pushchair or wheel chair as it is on a hill. Going down is ok but coming back after a day of trawling the shops knackers you out a bit.

All in all, i proberly would go back to the soreda if i was on a tight budget but if you have the money to spare, it may be best to check out another one.

Oh, and if you are younger than 50 (we are in our 20's), you will be the youngest there!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Its on a steep hill.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Tracy000
Worcs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2008

After reading quite a few bad comments was really unsure what to think but overall we were pleasantly surprised.

I did not think that the hotel was as shabby as some people have made out, yes the carpets are pretty worn out but so what how much time do you spend in the corridors!

Our room was probably one of the best in the hotel luckily. we were on fifth floor so used the lifts constantly but room 541 was great. It did look over building site but this in no way interfered with us, but our balcony was huge enough for sunbeds and tables and chairs and still loads of space. We had great views, one way we could see Mosta Dome and the other way we could just about see the sea. Our room was very clean no problems here at all.

I am really pleased that we only opted for half board as must admit would have hated to have been tied to the hotel as the evening entertainment was pretty dire and gave you drinks in plastic cups and also there are that many bars locally why would you want to stay there for 2 weeks. We used the Queens head just by hotel most days and the drinks are reasonable and place had good atmosphere. There was a constant supply of snacks also which was very nice. There are also many other bars near by a few we used that we found good were Welcome (especially for quiz nights) Dianas & We Five (again snacks all the time).

The food was OK, breakfast was better than evening meal. Although there was always plenty of choice for evening meal I still struggled as sometimes the meat was not of the best quality and the standard of the cooking was a bit poor. The was a good salad selection and soup was usually ok too. It could not have been that bad though as we did eat there every night

As for peoples complaints about the pool areas I have to disagree, think the roof top pool was fine maybe a bit split up as I like to be sociable but only once could we not get a bed and we dont go up until at least 11am and on this occasion we did not mind too much as as I said had sunbeds on our balcony. We did not use the downstairs pool until last day but wished we had before because yes although partially in shade there is always a sunny bit you just need to keep moving, and also some people prefer shade anyway. I did not think it was particularly dirty either.

Overall I think the Soreda was not too bad at all and if I decided to go back to that area of Malta may even stay there again as at least I would know what to expect. If the food was sorted and maybe the carpets in the corridors this hotel would be fine. I still do not think the all inclusive is worth it though and we were better off half board.

• Liked — Closeness to everything ie shops, bars, sea etc
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NettieWorcs
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
Bella Vista Hotel
Bella Vista Hotel
#12 of 16 in Qawra
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,691 reviews

Been to Soreda Hotel? Share your experiences!