“Excellent choice and total value for money”
Review of Canifor Hotel

Canifor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed December 20, 2010

Just reteurned from the Canifor Hotel and i must say having read the revues before we went made me wonder if we were doing the right thing. Our worries were totally unfounded and the hotel was excellent. Arrived at Malta airport and a taxi took us straight to hotel which was approx 45 mins away. We arrived at hotel at 8;45 and checked in by the very good hotel staff, he advised us that we needed to hurry as dinner closed at 9.00pm that night which was later due to arrivals. Our rooms were basic, 4 beds, leather 2 seater chair, 2 other xhairs, table, wardrobes and safe box , telephone, iron, teasmaid, TV bathroom with over bath shower. Balcony which looked over outdoor pool however it was not a brilliant view. The rooms were very clean and maid serviced eavery day.
The restaurant served hot food every meal which was done on a buffet style but chefs served manin course of your choice. There was always a good selection of food available from salads to hot roasts and pastas, 2 types of Soup, fish every day was also available deserts were mainly cakes and jellies but there was also ice cream and fruit available on request. overall there was plenty of good quality food for every taste including vegetarian menus. Waiters took and delivered drinks to your table. Breakfast consisted of continental or english and ther was plenty of toast and tea.
The hotel itself is clean and tidy and consists of main reception, 2 lifts, dinning area lower floor, it also has pizza cafe on lower floor along with daytime bar. reception area had leather seats to relax and a much larger evening bar where entertainment was on every night. However the entertainment mainly consisted of organist and singers and catered for ball room type dancing which was very very popular with guests and locals.
The hotel also has indoor pool which i thought was slightly colder than expected of a heated pool. there is also jaccuzi and sauna although i must confess i thought this area could do with a slight makeover. The gym was at other side of hotel and i only found it the day before i left but on inspection did seem very reasonable.
Hotel is situated very close to bus terminal (100metres) very cheap to get around island and very good regular busses although busess are from a time warp. Hotel is very close to a range of bars and restaurants / cafes. There is a car museum over the road and well worth a visit.
Example trip we got bus from terminal to ferry caught ferry to Gozzo then bus to Victoria (Capital of Gozzo). it cost us 16 euros for two people for whole return trip, the agent in hotel wanted 108 euros. Gozzo is well worth a visit.
Beach and prom is approx 2-5 mins walk and very accsessible.
There is a couple of casinos within 5 mins walk and entertainment at most bars.
I would definetly recommend this hotel and plan to go back next year. The hotel was full of returners who were staying for a few weeks at a time. Good value

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mstonebanks
Write a ReviewReviews (1,859)

Reviewed November 27, 2010

I cannot believe the bad reports about Canifor, and just to redress the balance, it was brilliant. Rooms cleaned daily (it was an apartment with half board in the Hotel) Two outdoor pools were very clean, as was the indoor pool.

The price we paid was the price you'd expect for a 2-3 star hotel, but they've certainly lived up to their 4-star rating as far as we are concerned.

Can't complain about the food, of which there was plenty, amnd I so wish I could prodyce meat as tender as it was there, be it roated, grilled, braised or stewed the meat melted in your mouth. OH YES!!! Just the one complaint - I had to stop the serverss piling on more food than I can possibly eat (tic)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AvieBarnsley
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Recently returned from a one week stay at the Canifor and was extremely relieved to be back home. This hotel has never seen 4 stars in all the world. I would give it 2 at the most.
The chairs in the dining room are very shabby, and in fact some look very dirty. English breakfast consisted of fatty bacon, cold beans and horrid looking eggs. Some bread was only toasted on one side and was tasteless. Continental breakfast was cold meat and chunks of cheese, and except for the yoghurt with some honey poured over it wasn't worth going into breakfast. Tea and coffee , which came out of a machine was revolting. Evening meals were better and in fact some were quite nice.
We upgraded to a superior room and were extremely disappointed. The only thing different from a standard room was that it was larger, but it had 4 beds in and there were only 2 of us. In the bathroom, on our first day, an insect crawled across the floor (I think it was a silver fish), and the toilet seat underneath had never been cleaned since the day it was installed, it was absolutely filthy. Some tiles were cracked, and the bath although clean, had seen much better days.
Also in the room throughout the day and night there was a continuous noise from ventilation fans and the air conditioning system.
We love Malta, but would never go back to this hotel or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank susanohara_browwood
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Stayed there from 09th -16th November, first day home so writing this while memory is fresh. Hotel entance and reception was first class,did all they could to help and recovered my i-pad which I had left in the shuttle on the way from the airport.(good start!)

My room (130) overlooked the Elvis bar and Murphy's,but I was was not disturbed by them in anyway. The room itself was very clean,clean towels left everyday and the room was cleaned everyday also.No problems sleeping.

Breakfast was fine , and everyday with a wide selection of cereals,cooked breakfast, fruits ,cheeses, cold meats tea coffee fruit juice.etc

Meals at night were fine with at least three to four main course selections, three soups and many puddings all as much as you want.
I did not have lunch there as I was out and about and ate in various restaurants of which there are many in and around qawra and beyond.

I did eat out four nights but that was through choice and not a criticism of the fare on offer.

The staff were very helpful and considerate, I never had a bad expeience with any of them but then people react politely when they themselves are approached and treated in the same way.

The air con worked fine and was only noisy if turned up full, was quiet if on half or low speed so no problems there.

I did not find the range of drinks on offer limited in anyway in the hotel I cannot understand previous criticism on this but each to their own! (The Tourist Bar nearby is very good thank you to jules and Charles!) and there are others you can get a pint for a euro and hand poured double spirits for 3 euros.

The hotel location is ideal not far from the seafront and close (but far enough away) from the bus station, the buses are very cheap but a bit of a white knuckle ride at times! so it is ideal for. getting around Malta.

A slight moan was the 'add ons' extra for a fridge,and tea making facilities which should be included in my opinion , and the entertainment was dated to say the least but there is plenty to do elsewhere.

Its not the Hilton, but then does not charge Hilton prices! but you get what you pay for so in that respect it was perfectly fine although it was filling up with the elderly for the winter.

All in all I enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank Hoops-Morton
Reviewed October 26, 2010

We stayed in a lower room which was roomy and clean.Facilities were good as were the meals ,although food was basic produce cooked to cater for the English tourist.Our only problem was that we were opposite a noisy Irish bar and a Elvis tribute bar.It was hard work getting along with some of the staff,but when we finally had broken the ice,they were quite friendly.One supervisor who seemed to know more than others took time out to chat and ask about my likes and dislikes etc.Being just out of Bugibba is a plus,but a sea view would have been nice.We never used the pool which is too small for the numbers it caters for,so we venture out rather than sat around in the sun.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 186377Adequate
Reviewed October 26, 2010

This hotel caters more for the elderly than for those of us travelling with kids. The pool is very small and so is the so called 'kids play area'. I booked the superior room, this comprised of three single beds in an average sized room over looking the pool and building site out the back. The bathroom was pretty small with a very old shower head that simply trickled more than it sprayed!! The balcony railings left me feeling I wouldn't want to risk putting my weight against it - just a little on the lose side for those of us with inquisitive 9 yr olds. We never stayed in this hotel for longer than one night neither did we bother with any of the meals as we had been told by other guests, it was extremely basic and bland. The evening entertainment was ballroom dancing mainly by the over 60's. A definite no go for young couples and families in my personal opinion, when just a short walk away is a nicer friendlier hotel situated on the front looking at the sea with good family entertainment for a very similar cost.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 21, 2010

First let me say that the room which we stay was spotless if out dated and the majority of staff were pleasant and friendly. Now the bad news the food was disgusting, the drinks were limted, the pool and jacuzzi were unusable and the entertainment was laughable. I understand the comments that you get what you pay for but this is clearly a case of false advertising and we are all after a bargain. So if you are after a cheap holiday and dont mind not eating the food, not using the hotel facilities and not staying in the hotel for the evening, then this hotel is for you. I will make sure I pay more attention to trip advisor before booking my next holiday as I thought it cant be as bad as people are saying, but it is. Hopefully Malta will review its star rating soon and then people can book in confidence.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank somersetmarine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Soreda Hotel
#4 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Bella Vista Hotel
Bella Vista Hotel
#12 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!