“been there before” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canifor Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Canifor Hotel
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Qawra
Stirlingshire, United Kingdom
“been there before”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

we were there last november, and when we got a good deal decided to try it in summer time. it has not changed much. still same dirty pool area but it got a bit more of the sun. rooms still the same dont even think they have a fresh coat of emulsion. dining room still far to small but once you are seated you can sit and watch the scrum for the food. friday was barby night at the pool, surprisingly it was not bad..suppose if it was cheap enough we would return as we like the area.

1 Thank pensioners2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
newcastle upon tyne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

OK where do i start

we arrived by taxi, which was 26 euros form airport, for a 30 min journey

we arrived at the door of the hotel, and was surprised by the cleanist of entries i have encounted, walk up to reception and was greated with hello, what can i do for you.

we as i was with my partner and 2 other diving friends for a weeks diving, we choice this hotel because the parisdise hotel was 3 times the price for the same star rating, choicing half board as we would be diving all day, and not required all inclusive because not worth the extra cost, however we did choice to go for a surprerior room thou, spent an extra 50 per room, and that was a waste of time too, more about that later.

we were given our room numbers, 518, 519 and told that we could not get keys till 2pm, an hour away. we were told to put our bags in the luggage room and there was a coffee machine. we went to luggage room, and the door was open with other bags, but the door was always open and i rufused to put my diving bag into there as there was no security as regards to room been locked, and with £3,000 worth of diving gear, that was not going to happen.

the Temp was 41 degrees that day and we really needed a drink, we found the coffee machine with the words out of order acroos it.

we ask were we could get a drink and the reception said the bar, to which was closed, and i pointed this out but no surgestion as to where to get one. i had to ask another holiday maker as to where to get one, he pointed me down stairs and i durley went.

downstairs was the games room, and a meduim size counter with waiters. i asked for 2 cokes, and was given plastic sized cups, and asked if i was all inclusive i said no, and was charge 1.40 euro each, i had to sign for with room number.

at 2pm we were told our rooms were ready and went up in the lift. we got to our rooms and open the door. 2 single beds, on plywood, bathroom that seen better days. the shower was a joke, hot water depended on the hour of the day when you got it, we found out that this was 5-6 pm, even the cold water tap dished out hot water at this time.

toilet was ok, sink too

beds where hard and matresses was hard, towels please take your own, where fraid and grey. balcony was over the paddling pool, as due to the size. sun beds where packed in side by side.

we did get an iron, and a iron board, for £50 a week more. we never used them, but did rip the cardboard off the iron box to shove in the key slot so we could keep the room aircon on all day, but could not run at night due to the noise, or the celing fan as it was unstable and was afraid that during the night it would fall off the ceiling.

we decided that we would try the food. haha

the restrant was set out so that you had to push passed people on the way throu. the food was no where near 4 star, not even 3 star.
the food was cold if not warm, but never hot!!! i asked about the beans from the kids menu, and was told that they had just switched off the heater for them, i stated that this was not the case, as they were stone cold. it was then i was cold that they were cold for the kids, i replied your telling me that kids have to eat cold food. it was then they just turned around and egnore you.
the meals were dished out on small plates and it was not self service, you were given meat by the chef...
we never ate in there again. we found a place called the wooden hut around the corner, and ate our breakfast in there, for 4 euro you got a full english beakfast and coffee, well worth it belive me.

we dieced for our main meal were would eat in the many place there was in the resort, to which i have to say was great with bars with great offers, a pint for a euro and with 3 pints for the price of 2 in happy hour. bargain....

BE WARNED BE WARNED

in the lift there is a sign says "FREE UPGRADE" to either canifor court apartments", or the Coral Reef hotel"

DONT TAKE THEM UP ON THERE OFFER, as we nearly did but glad we did not. iwe meet a couple that were there for 2 months and after a week at the canifor hotel decided that they would upgrade, and told that there was room, and deiced to change, they wish they had not, and tried to change back and was told NO !! but only could change to apartments canifor court. they decided not to change after seeing them.

The diving in malta is really good, if thats what your going for then fine, as hotels in malta are based on there aminities, and the more they have the more stars they get, however this includeds where they are working or not.
i visited the roof top sun loungers jacuqi it was filfthy due to not being cleaned for months.. and no one used it at all.

the staff where un helpfull, and no one ever smiles.

we arrived a taxi transfer with them the day we were leaving, after 10 mins of waiting there was no taxi, i went to see them about it and said 5 mins. then agian after 10 mins told 5 mins more. after 40 mins they turned up, and i argued about a rebate for there latness, waste of time, not intrested by the FAT CONTROL "the manager".

so if you have booked here, then PLEASE PLEASE try and get in changed.

2 Thank raydenise2008

Travelers are raving about these Qawra hotels

Stockton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

I went 16 Aug with 3 children, husband and 3 adults (17 and 60+). On first impressions the reception is nice but the staff at the desk are most unhelpful and whilst waiting to check in a woman complained about her room - the manager threw a set af keys and said "see if that suits madam". I was lucky as my room was ok but the pool area was filthy- children were leaving messages in the scum round the pool. The sunbeds were not clean and the pool was greasy and mucky. The food was crap - you will not starve but the selection if very poor and usually undercooked - potatos hard and chicken must have been on a diet as just bone and skin. No fruit except on occasions soft water melon. Kids selection EVERY NIGHT was pancakes (similar to findus but cold and stale) and beans - on the odd occasion a sausage. One lady burnt her arm and the staff gave her milk to bathe it and walked off - she was over 70!! Staff were rude except for one old guy who seated you in the 'restaurant'. Not a 4 star at all barely a 3 !!! But the Manager said "that is your opinion". My 5 year old child broke a glass and the barman gave my elder child a brush and pan and told him to clean it up RUDE RUDE RUDE !!!! Please do not go - I recommend the Qwara Palace - a bit more expensive but far more superior. I could go on but I'm sure if you risk this place you will be on here to post your own note !!!!

4 Thank ElaineStockton
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

Having stayed in a few hotels around the world, this has to be the worst hotel ever. Most of the staff are miserable and act like them serving you is a favour. they haven't got a clue about customer service and this attitude comes from the top of the chain (the hotel manager - Overweight fellow). ....Best stop here.

3 Thank Alfonso_d_Nomad
Liverpool
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

We stayed here for a week at the beginning of August, all inclusive, which was much too long! It was the hotel from hell. There were 7 of us ranging from 4 yrs to 57 staying in three rooms. We eventually got suitable rooms after three days of complaining and would of moved to another hotel but one by one a member of our party became ill and couldn't come out of their room. The food was barely edible and we stopped eating there after the first day so I can only blame the pool for our sickness. During the week I did not see it being cleaned once and the patio area never brushed or hosed down as is usual practice. The pool itself was not big enough for the number of guests and was in the shade by 3pm. The subeds had cushions on them that looked like they had been there since the 1960's and I doubt they never had a wash - we sat on the chairs which we covered with our towels. There was no entertainment to speak off and when I asked at reception if there was a kiddie's play area I was told it was in the cafeteria. When I took my daughter inside to play there was a two step slide covered in dust, my 4yr old was not impressed. That was the only entertainment the hotel provided for her for a week, that is not what an all inclusive standard hotel provides. The kiddies corner in the dining room had some fried shapes and a silver tray of beans for three consecutive evenings, which were then served for dinner the next day. We had stopped going in there but still had a look at what they were serving each night so we could laugh about it when we went out, we had to laugh at something or go insane! It is not an all inclusive where you help yourself either, you are served by two very rude waiters who stand behind the buffet and dish the helpings out to you, usually in three's - three potatoes, three tiny slices of meat, three carrotts etc, seriously, I do not jest! Cold meat, salad, stale bread, puddings etc you could help yourself, but believe me you would not want to.

It is a disgrace that this hotel is sold as an all inclusive, at best it is a 1 star hotel with free drinks of a very limited choice. If the bar waiter had an order for the snack bar he would disappear to the kitchen leaving the bar unattended and you could wait up to 30 minutes for a drink. Which brings me to the snack bar, well theres not a lot you can say, more disgusting stuff that finished at 3pm prompt and then you had to wait until the dining room opened at 6pm if you wanted anything to eat. The all inclusive's we have been too previously never had any break in their service from morning until night.

I feel like I spent the whole week complaining to the staff at reception instead of enjoying my week away with family for my partner's 40th birthday. The manager was never available to speak to me and I felt they were not really interested if we were enjoying our stay or not. They had the money of us so we were not their problem!

I did check out the reviews on here before I booked and there was some really awful ones and some positive. I am off the opinion that you cannot please everybody and as long as the place is clean, the sun shining, the bar open and something to eat then I am quite happy, so I chose to ignore the bad reviews and give the place a chance. WAS I SORRY!! This is probably not the worst hotel I have ever stayed in but it is definitely the worst all inclusive and such a total waste of money. If you think you are getting a really cheap deal that seems too good to be true, then believe me it is! For what this holiday ended up costing I could of taken my family to Florida!

I could easily writte a few more pages there was so much wrong with this hoteI but I don't want you to get bored before the end. I have complained to the holiday company about the whole sorry episode and will let people know the outcome.

3 Thank cate17
SUNDERLAND
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2010

All inclusive was rip off as the food quality was good if you were on the eat as much as you like potatoe diet ,very limited range for evening meals ,however the BBQ night was good .Evening entertainment was generally an organ player/karaoke singer and on weekends it was ball room dancing for the locals who seemed to take over the place (they all seemed to have their regular seats which i think we were sitting in which didnt go down well).
I generally do not complain about hotels or anything else in general but this place took the lend when on all inclusive they were telling some guests that they were drinking too much and my son and i were told we were eating too much.You couldnt even order a pint of coke or orange as they said too many people wasted them so the would happily serve you with 1/2 pints in the hope that you didnt go back to the bar and confront the gate keeper.This is not a hotel for kids there is a games room which is in the same area as the pool bar which can become very noisy depending on the lack of adult supervision.I have staeyd in several hotels in Malta over many years and this must rate as on eof the worst some of the staffs attitude towards the guests was attrocious especially the management (lead by example) THIS IS NOT A 4 *** HOTEL

4 Thank MALTAMISERY
Renfrew, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

This is never a 4 star hotel, the vast majority of staff are rude and feel guests are an inconvenience. The evening meal is your lunch the next day. You have to pay for the gym, there is no spa. There is no fresh milk, the internet does not work as well as the public telephones. We asked for cappicino and received instant cofee. We were fully incusive and we ate out most of the time, the food quality was disgraceful.

inconvenience.

3 Thank Lynney1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Soreda Hotel
Hotel Santana
Hotel Santana
#4 of 15 in St. Paul's Bay
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,345 reviews

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!