“Cheap and cheerful”

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Luton, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Nice reception, clean rooms towels changed every day, close to bus station and shops lots of bars great location for ease of getting about. Area really nice.
Bathroom in need of refurbishment, toilet cistern very difficult to get to flush. Very small pool and sunbeds too cramped together. Some of the staff not friendly others lovely. Food very very basic but there was always something you could fill up on. Air con was large ceiling fan that was very noisy if you had it on at night. Overall it was more like a 2/3star but it wasnt awful though I doubt I would go back to this hotel. LOVED MALTA

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
North Wales
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks and had no problems at all, we had good food, hot and tasty, good company.(.in fact 2 weeks of laughing), good clean room and showers and we found the staff friendley if you took the trouble to chat to them. Our 4star it isnt and you get what you pay for, the entertainment isnt that good all the time but we enjoyed some evenings. The Maltese go out dancing at the weekend and should have been looked after in a different room and it did cause problems as they love their ballroom dancing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Surrey
Reviewed June 22, 2010

I'm 23 I stayed in the Canifor for 7nights with my boyfriend. We went for a beach/bar holiday.
We rarely stay by the pool when we go abroad anyway......why when there's beatuiful beaches around is my view.

Rooms:
Clean, balcony with chairs & table, could just see the sea. Air con (didn't work) & fan (phew).
Safe, fridge- both have to pay for but cheap.

Restaurant:
Not a great choice from day to day but not the worst ever. I was All Inclusive & found this an awesome choice!
Breakfast -includes full english, choice of cereals, chocolate cake ?!?.
Lunch - is off a menu and much of what they have at dinner. So we usually opted for the snack menu from the bar if we weren't out in the day.
Dinner - there's a fish, veggie, pasta, salad & soup choice every day. Plus a carvery. I like to eat healthy so I had salad & pasta or meat (it wasn't the best, either in oil or over cooked but still ok).
Snack -menu was burgers, sandwiches, toasties, chips etc.
Drinks- AI included choice of local beers, spirit & mixers inc orange juice (V strong!), fizzy drinks/ orange juice served in small tumblers. (Often at dinner was best to get drink from bar first then go into the restaurant, as it could take some time to get served for a drink with the meal.)
Oh and no fuit served at meals.....hello!

Staff:
Not the best, some polite some don't care lol- don't let it spoil your holiday tho! We asked one young guy working behind the bar cos he was always working and he said he does 16hours a day! Crazy.

Pool:
Small outside pool, I didn't go in as it wasn't worth it. The indoor pool seems deeper with a jucuzzi next to it and sauna ( which wasn't on) all in the basement.

Entertainment:
For old people, which entertainment usually is lol. It was a guy singing or someone on a keyboard. I don't like balloon men & pop groups anyway, we usually go out to the bars in the eve anyway....after a few AI bevvies!! ;-) (served 9:30am-11pm)
There where quite a few TV's in the hotel, 2 in cafe/bar, 1 outside, many in larger bar. All good seen as the World Cup was on.

Location:
PERFECT
2mins from small bars (serving $1 beer as hotels are AI they are trying to compete), supermarche, main Buggiba bus station.
Bus- we got the bus to Golden Bay, Mellieha Beach, Paradise Bay, Valletta. Each single ticket is $1.16 anywhere- so funny its so cheap. Cos the island is so small no trip is more than half hour away.
Beach - Buggiba has a small articicial sand bank but mainly all rocky, best to get a bus to a beach and see the beatuiful countyside on the way!
Excursions- boat trips to blue lagoon/gozo are about $15 excluding lunch so well worth it! You would get a train for about a tenner to your nearest city in the UK, let alone to a beautiful once-in-a-lifetime island!
I also recomend the golden Bay Horse Riding! Either $20 for 1hr or $30 for 2hrs, you can even be a beginner like me & I loved it....hacking along the cliff tops of a Maltese beach!
Buggiba Square- about 10mins walk along the sea front you will come to the main square where there is more bars, restaurants & a club called Ceasars (we didn't go in tho) with a more lively young atmosphere!

OVERALL
Yes this place has more old people than Tenerife but it's also quieter, very pretty, cheap, lots to do. Perfect for couples! So pretty & less tacky than the usual places that attract UK tourists. And no looky-looky men on teh street selling you fake sunglasses :-D

Downsides- can't sunbathe topless in most places (I think it's cos they are major religious), hotel food not the best but I can get over it.

I'm defo gonna go back to malta!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2010

All inclusive at this hotel does not mean all inclusive, all the facilities are chargeable and are either broken or do not work fully. Some of the staff are lovely the others unfriendly and the evening reception man is very sleezy and can make female travellers very uncomfortable. It took 4 nights to get him to back off and I'm no shrinking violet! The rooms are clean enough, but the pool is very very small. Local spirits and beer is served on All inc untill 11.00 which is fine, but you aren't allowed pints of soft drinks...? The entertainment is something again, someone and their keyboard, every night. Great if your 80, (which many of the guests are). The food what can I say...... exactly the same every night cooked slightly differently but all equally as bad. I don't expect the 4* equivelent of the UK so didn't go with high expectations but cockroaches running across the dinning room is an added extra you don't need.
The hotel is close to many amenities and the bus station so you can get out and there are some good bars in the area but not directly opposite the hotel so you can get an early night if you want one. All in all it's the people we met there that made our holiday without some of these characters I think we would have been pulling our hair out by day 4.

1 Thank staffyrj

Travelers are raving about these Qawra hotels

weston super mare
Reviewed June 19, 2010

Ok where do you start?

Arriving at the hotel gave a great first impression. The entrance gave a nice (european!!!) 4* hotel look. Very clean and well presented. Got checked in well and in good time (that isnt the norm for everybody as i will tell you later) and found my way a very small single occupancy room with very basic functions.

The room - Basic bathroom with trickle feed shower (hot water a bit of a lottery) toilet flushed fully with only three flushes which is fine for anybody with OCD!!! had my towel taken by the maids on day 3 so had to use a tiny towel around the pool. The rooms were cleaned regular however. The furniture again was basic but in fairness served its functions. The bed was made from an MDF frame and covered in venered plywood complete with what looked like a 300 year old matress.!!!
I was fortunate to have a working tv to see the BP CEO get battered by american congress!! my friends had had the buttons ripped off theirs so they (if interested) would have to pay 12 euro's for a remote control and the privalidge of using this piece of equiptment which would otherwise serve no other purpose than another shelf. I was also presented with a bit of a tease in the shape of an air con unit... (not wired in) instead of this the only way of controlling the rooms temperature was what can only be describes as a helicopter style ceiling fan (complete with the noise of said helicopter)
It had a balcony!!!

The Staff - The staff whilst generally were ok all had serious problems with the all inclusive guests. "we who have purchased these despicable holidays have ruined their lives" (very close to an actual quote. This is from one of the bar staff who when you asked how he was would pretty much always answer (S**t!!) keeping the glow of our holiday alive and kicking!!! This hotel went all inclusive 4 years ago and from talking to other guests who have stayed pre AI days has been the downfall and the reason the staff are broken and in dire need of retraining and hotel service re branding.
In fairness 20% of the staff here were helpful, friendly and accomodating to our needs (20% however is a small figure) Be very careful of the smarm-meister ladies, you will know who i am talking about immediately should you have the pleasure of a stay here.

The Pool - very clever photography on every picture i can find on the net. this paddling pool is also a salt water pool!!!!

The Sunbeds - Breath in! not sure how they crammed that many beds into such a small space... oh actually yes i do thats why i was constantly falling over other guests trying to leave/enter the area. Fans of the Krypton Factor will enjoy the Canifor sun bed expierience. Lovely little seating area though.

Indoor pool - The pool was lovely and okish in size and would have preferred this pool on the outside, this is a chlorine based pool and was great but being downstairs too cold!! this area was also used for many other extra cirricular activities as my friends observed.

The drinks - Fine but all inclusive doenst actually mean all inclusive here. If you really want a nice soft drink early in the morning, tough!!! ALL INCLUSIVE IS FROM 9AM - 11PM ONLY!!! most brits meet people and love a good chin wag into the early hours. Not here!!! you must be in bed by 11PM.

The Food - BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD!!!! i visited the regimentally organised restaurant (ie "wait here for fiteen minutes until i seat you"!) only 5 maybe 6 times during my whole stay. breakfast was poor on the first day so i generally only visited when energy levels demanded a visit. Sad to say i got very excited when i found a macdonalds in nearby bugeba. On the penultimate night we ventured 15 minutes from the hotel and did enjoy some fantastic service and food.
Just to give you an idea however - Beef everynight always cooked bad, soft veg, and selection of cheese (cubed or sliced being the selection of edam)
I could write so much more here but the only help and advice i could give is AVOID!!!!

The drinks - Fine except for the hours of privalidge

All inclusive - The hotel is all inclusive food and drink only during the hours of 9am - 11pm everything else and i mean everything else cost money. The hotel has some great ideas, Sauna, gym, room refridgerators, etc etc..... not all of these worked but they did have them at a price.

Expieriences - Several couples turned up who had booked weeks in advance and the hotel tried to turn them away saying they had no room!!!! One of these couples had travelled from Austrailia!!!

The positives - A hanful of lovely staff, local beer was fine, location was great and the Maltese people generally were lovely people. The island iself full of history and beautiful views and places.

Would highly recommend going to comino and the blue lagoon. Valetta also very beautiful (but choose a cooler day to visit if possible)

In general - If you paid more than £300 for this holiday then you would be feeling a little dissapointed i would imagine!!!

AVOID THE CANIFOR HOTEL!!!!

1 Thank mr_frost_wsm
yorkie in sheffield
Reviewed June 17, 2010

Never got past reception. Despite booking in April, confirming six days before arrival, I was told that they were fully booked and I had been up-graded to a totally unacceptable, three star hotel called the Coral.
During a very short stay at the Coral - three days - I met six other parties who had experienced the same situation. and were far from happy, but who had accepted the situation. I wasn't.
I believe that in my case they were guily of breach of contract. It would also appear that they practice a cynical exploitation of tourists.

2 Thank willilar
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2010

Before going away, like many I read the reviews from here and from other sites and frankly I think many just go on holiday to complain and moan. So I am going to try and give you a full and frank review of the Canifor Hotel and our stay in resort by with Thomas Cook and the Hotel. We have Justt returned on the 15th June 2010.

OK so..

Going out, we was delayed by an hour thanks to a cock up with the cleaning of the plane, however we arrived at the hotel in good time and the welcome and transfer by Thomas cook's reps was good, and the trip informative.

Upon arriving, Qwara seems rather cramped and busy however, this is actually quite a nice area. Lots of bars, shops and places to get souvenirs, beach good etc as well as supermarkets all close by. (everywhere including the hotel showing the World Cup games for those wanting to catch the matches)

The reception is nice and the hotel is very clean, the cleaning staff work hard to maintain the level of cleanliness. We was initially in a room for three (myself, my partner and my Mum) which was somewhat smaller than we would of liked. Basic but comfortable (shame you can only get Sky news 15 min bulletins, every fifteen mins on the TV - unless you speak German or Italian of course ya be OK) The beds are sleep-able and clean bedding every day. The bed is like a wooden table top but you don't notice this too much as the mattress is comfortable. Bit of a fiasco trying to get extra pillows as had to ask four times over 24 hours to get them. However on balance the staff are helpful, friendly and willing to give you information on the area, buses and places of interest. This of course is helpful if the rep is not around.

The bathrooms are always clean and tidy with soap etc provided,.DON'T expect five star quality but they have given you a few basics if you don't have your own.

We then moved into a Suite which was much bigger and had the separate room we needed for my Mum, the room was clean and airy overlooking the pool on the first floor accessible by a rather temperamental lifts, will take no more than three or four before it has a fit! LOL OK it just stops working if too many are in it! However this was a great room with probably some wasted space, which could of been better used and made more attractive but hey remember this is Europe NOT the UK! The move to the suite was problem free and just 5 Euros a day extra. we was very pleased with it! The rooms do come with the option of a duvet too if you don't want the sheet and blanket (great for the warm nights) with the sound of the water going into the pool, if you like that sort of thing it can sound relaxing!

The facilities are OK, the two major downfalls are;

1) The pools both indoor and outdoor are somewhat small but usable. Able to swim. Jacuzzi and Sauna in the basement indoor pool 9through the well used coffee shop with outdated computer games for the younger ones and two pool tables at 1 euro a go. The bar in the coffee shop is well stocked with both alcohol and no alcoholic drinks, however if you go all inclusive you cant have pints. We was half board so paid for ours which are fairly reasonably priced. The Entertainment is abysmal and needs to be changed in my opinion, the singers are awful and repeat the same songs night after night. They also have the same people, not so great if you are staying more than a week. The most annoying is they dancing and music for the locals at weekends, where guests are treated like intruders. When you are paying to stay there the entertainment should be for guests.

Food: No matter where you go in Malta, Do not expect a good full English whether you are in the hotel (which is not great itself) but even the many cafes and restaurants don't do a great breakfast. The tea is from a machine which you help yourself to but is drinkable (provided you give it time to heat up first thing) Evening meals are good, variety though not always to our taste so we ate out at a few of the restaurants which out weighed the poor breakfasts in the mornings, as these are lovely and affordable.

With the Canifor you get what you pay for in a European country. If you want high class go to Dubai or somewhere. Malta is a beautiful place to stay and the Canifor does provide a good base to stay in with the lots of local buses five mins walk away, flat area if you cant do hills though the same cant be said for the whole of Malta as it does get hilly and steep in places. The buses are a bit terrifying especially if going on the older ones. Defo an experience though. The Maltese people are some of nicest and most helpful you could wish to meet.

The hotel is suitable for families and couples as well as groups, just make sure you check where you are staying as if full they will send you to their sister hotel. Sometimes this cant be avoided but does get you an upgrade!

Take the Canifor for what it is and don't expect a palace as its not but its clean, friendly, good location. The rooms are adequate for a two week stay though yes the breakfast and entertainment does let it down.

The final and biggest compliment has to go to Jamie, the Thomas Cook Rep for the hotel, who is a great guy, friendly, helpful to ALL guests not just his own. His approachable and willing to help out. His a great ambassador for a company that sometimes seems a little disorganised, This cant be said for Jamie who was on hand to solve problems and give advice. He can often be found in reception in the morning and early evenings. Don't be afraid to say hi and stop for a chat (I think he gets lonely LOL) seriously though, he made our stay enjoyable and pleasant and i often enjoyed my chats about the island and things to do as well as about back home. Jamie, you a lovely guy and thank you for being around to help us.

If you want somewhere reasonable to stay, you cant go far wrong with the Canifor as long as you don't expect the ritz. At the end of the day it sound, has a bed and is clean and comfortable. Those who have given it very low ratings are simply just finding something to moan about and lastly remember everyone's experiences are different.

2 Thank DaveMlondon28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
Qawra Palace Hotel
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
San Pawl Hotel
San Pawl Hotel
#10 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!