“for the price it was well worth it”
Review of Canifor Hotel

Canifor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Qawra
Reviewed March 4, 2009

The food was good, perhaps to many herbs, if you wanted more meat at dinner or bacon at breakfast all you have to do is ask the menu was varied and the standard fair.
the rooms were clean and well serviced, all day the staff were cleaning and I felt safe hygien wise.
The bar was expensive and the entertainers a bit loud, you could not hear yourself speak
This Hotel is not for young people, the area is safe you felt you could go out at night with no worry, The best thing about the hotel was the friendly staff.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank fshogie

Reviewed January 31, 2009

We stayed in the Cardor Court Complex - so called because it gives you one - see my review of the accomodation on their page , but took our meals in the Canifor Hotel so thought I should comment here about the food . The first thing that struck us about the dining room was that it reminded us of school dinners . The main course at breakfast and dinner was like an assisted buffet , with a line of people moving slowly along , having measured portions put on the plate . The quality of the food leaves a lot to be desired and the salt content seems very high . My partner likes fresh fish which is normally in abundance in Malta hotels - not at the Canifor , they like their batter and breadcrumbs . The odd bit of "undressed" fish they did serve up proved to be tasteless and rubbery . When she commented about the quality to the dining room manager he said that it was because they could not afford to serve fresh fish , but had to use frozen . I think that he should get himself to Farm Foods or Lidle , there's nothing wrong with their frozen fish!! Another area of complaint was fresh fruit , or rather , the lack of it - not a piece to be seen . Apparently , if you want some , you can buy it at breakfast(?) or request an apple or orange at dinner , which they will fetch for you . No way is that 4 star standard . The one good thing we found about the Canifor was the friendliness of the staff ,we think that that is the reason , along with it's handy location , for it proving popular with repeat bookings by senior Brits .

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NuneatonDavem
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Let me start off by saying that I do not expect a luxury hotel, when booking a 3-4 star Maltese hotel. On a working holiday I mostly book a selfcatering facility in order to have my own rutines. I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights out of 14 booked. Should note that I did try to solve things with reception and management- which ignored most of my requests.

Bad management of a hotel clearly reflects the guests staying at this joke o0f a hotel. The Canifor Hotel prides itself with 4 maltese stars (deduct 2 to know the real standard). Located in Qawra which mainly caters for Uk visitors.

The only information you can be sure of at this hotel are the extras- receptionstaff dont know much but they know the rate of extras...Dark receptionarea- lightsaving I guess. Cold lobby, very cold- 2 gas heaters even though it has 4 huge aircons to heat it up. It was rather cold at this time of year, but management rather save on light and heating and let their guests freeze.

Every morning a line of guests complaining of aircons not working, freezing temperatures etc. etc. and again in afternoon when things were not dealt with. Everywhere the talk is about the lack of just basics at this hotel. I will say, in this case it is actually justified.

The selfcatering units are down the road. It says they are newly renovated...would have liked to see them before a renovation. Freezingly cold I asked for some heating- possible if I would pay EUR25 a week. First time I have stayed at a hotel charging for heating in room. There is aircon- EUR25 a week. The sattelite tv programme was no sattelite- only italian and maltese channels. Studio was not only dirty, it was disguisting, towels not clean, fridge descided to be a freezer overnight- which meant that everything was hard frozen. Even worse the medicine I need to keep cooled was frozen- and then ruined. I could go on....

As I said, I dont look for luxury but I expect the basics to be in order- and I can clearly say that no matter how cheap you get this "4 star hotel" you can actually expect at least a bit of service.

A badly and greedy management, try to run this horrorhouse and charge you all sorts of extras to get more money- not providing the guests with the basics.

If a hotel chooses this way of business they should just be honest about it and inform so you have the chance to change into a good 3 star hotel with heating for free. Yes there is a bus terminus very near this hotel- go there and take a bus out of this horrorplace and go to a proffesional run hotel.....

Why people choose to go back again and again- well my guess is, machokists or they probably dont know that they can actually expect more from their stay.

But go have a look- maybe you like it...I will not be returning to either Qawra and definately not to canifor Horrorhotel.

Moved to Sliema on a very good 3 star newly renovated hotel- The Bayview Hotel- which costs less but provide so much more- heating included....

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Aeronaut65
Reviewed January 16, 2009

my wife and i had read the reviews but decided to go with an open mind. we stayed over the Xmas period and had great time. breakfast you had lots to select from. as it was buffet style you had lots to choose from and eat as much as you liked. lunch was served to you. the menu was not large but this was a 3 course meal. the evevning dinner was very good. A choice of 4 starters A choice of 4 different main courses to which you could add as much hot or cold vegetables as you liked. good selection of sweets was also available. the size of the portions were always up to you. you could eat as much as you liked.. we found the room to be very clean and the room service was excellent. we did not find mould, cockroaches, or any other form of beetle. the entertainment was of good pub standard. however if you mixed with the maltese people ( as we did) you were sure to have a even better time. a great holiday. WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE RETURN YEAR AFTER YEAR IF WAS SO BAD. MAY THE CANIFOR GO ON FOR EVER.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank THEODDPAIR
Reviewed January 4, 2009

we stayed for 1 week at the canifor hotel and was very wary about it after seeing the reviews
we found the hotel well decorated clean as was the room and the food was not bad theonly comment i would make was that there was no variation to the breakfast
the main dislike we had was the entertainment which was poor and also the all inclusive drinks were terrible also our stay was over the new year and the maltese locals were allowed in the lounge taking up seats and the guests could not get a seat i would advise anyone planning to stay at the hotel to go half board
if it was not for the local bar simons elvis bar it would have been terrible

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I booked this hotel before reading any reviews. The main reason being value for money. I had airmiles flights and the 10 day all inclusive holiday cost just short of £300 for me and my husband. Granted at the start of the holiday we were the youngest people there, but we had a fab time. It isn't a 4* hotel, our room was a little shabby, but it was clean. The bed and bathroom were cleaned. When we arrived our shower head was a bit wonky so a lot leaked out rather than spraying, so I fixed it by wrapping some plastic around it. Next day it was replaced with a new shower head. The food was basic, but we had no complaints. I'm not sure what some people expect. For us £30 per day breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks and snacks you can't go wrong. We didn't spend any time around the pool,apart from the odd 10 minutes in a morning before we got on one of the fab yellow buses and explored the island. I'm looking forward to returning to Malta again and would stay here again

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shazzy1161
Reviewed December 30, 2008

This is meant to be a 4 star hotel - I suggest it is barely a 2 star hotel.

The area is scruffy with a football bar on the corner, an Irish Bar across the road which is next door to an Elvis impersonators bar.

The hotel is situated on a hilly penisula with about a 1/4 mile walk to the sea in either direction. There is no beach. The coastline either side has many decent bars aand restaurants.

The hotel rooms are adequate and clean but ours overlooked a small swimming pool and a building site/waste ground.....and we had thew best view,

The food was so bad we only had dinner twice in the week we were there - the second time because we couldn't believe how bad it was the first time. All meat appeared to be processed (Bernard Matthews Turkey joints etc), vegetables were boiled to sogginess. I really don't understand how you can muck up food this way. There was no fresh fruit for breakfast or dinner. The poached eggs for breakfast were probably against the Geneva Convention as deadly weapons! Not once was there a change from baked beans, do they not know about tomatoes?. But undelying all of this is a dining room that is far too small for the hotel so if you were daft enough to turn up for a meal at a populaar time you had to queue outside the didning room for a table to become available.......which meant if you were lucky enough to be inside, every time you put your fork down somone was waiting to whip your plate away. Leisurely meals they were not! All the food was dolled out to you by the most surly bunch of 'chefs' I have ever come across.

When you retired to the bar for a coffee there was an all singing and dancing machine behind the bar which produced brown water with barely the taste of coffee in it. You could then relax to some chap and his organ playing 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round and Old Oak Tree' while three rows of geriatric line dancers surged up and down the dance floor like the tide running in and out.

To summarise - the area was OK ish - the rooms were OK and clean - the food was appaling - the bar and dining room staff were frankly poor. Reception was very good

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Romelluk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Qawra
db San Antonio Hotel + Spa
#3 of 14 in St. Paul's Bay
Sunflower Hotel
Sunflower Hotel
#6 of 15 in Qawra

Been to Canifor Hotel? Share your experiences!